PDA

View Full Version : Best trailer for skid steer???

Kidder
05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi guys, I am new to the site. I have been doing lawn and snow for 11 years and just over the past year have really develloped my business. I am in the market for a skid steer and the first thing that I want to buy is a skid steer trailer. I know that I want a gooseneck, because they are made to pull better. My dilemna is i dont know if a deck over is better or if a 14K car hauler is better. The way I see it is a car hauler keeps the load lower, but if I get a deck over i can go with three axles (21K) and potentially pull 2 skids down the road. Thoughts. I found a Load Max trailer that looks really good but just want to know which make seems to be the best. I live in Winnipeg, Canada and we get heavy salting during the winter months so a powder coat would probably be essential. Thanks.

DaveVB
05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Are you saying car hauler in design? I'm sure you've seen skid loader specific trailers as I have, but I never looked to see if they made one long enough to pull two skids.
Really depends on overall use. Will it be only for the skids or for hauling during the off periods. The deck over allows you to load stuff with your skids where the car hauler limits you in use.
I have had a 12k deck over/bumper hook donated to us and won't let the bosses trade for a true skid trailer cause I can load the whole trailer from the side. It was donated to haul the skid, but I use it more for hauling stuff than moving the skid. A lot handier.

Kidder
05-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes, I mean a car hauler design with the deck between the fenders. I would go for a 24 foot trailer in either the deck over or the GN car hauler. But for pulling 2 skids I would need a 21K tri axle trailer. Load Max has one that I am very interested in. How is Load Max for quality?

wellbuilt
05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I like a 16 or 18' trailer for my skid . I also like a bumper pull because you can still load the bed of the truck .
The trailer i use now is a 12000lb Ringo 16' drop axel with 5' drop down ramps . I would like to pull my skid and mine X on one trailer but i dont want to pull a large trailer all the time . I can still load my trailer with 3 cubes of block.
I think the fuel would start to cost you . John

Duffster
05-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi guys, I am new to the site. I have been doing lawn and snow for 11 years and just over the past year have really develloped my business. I am in the market for a skid steer and the first thing that I want to buy is a skid steer trailer. I know that I want a gooseneck, because they are made to pull better. My dilemna is i dont know if a deck over is better or if a 14K car hauler is better. The way I see it is a car hauler keeps the load lower, but if I get a deck over i can go with three axles (21K) and potentially pull 2 skids down the road. Thoughts. I found a Load Max trailer that looks really good but just want to know which make seems to be the best. I live in Winnipeg, Canada and we get heavy salting during the winter months so a powder coat would probably be essential. Thanks.

A gooseneck is alot of trailer just to pull a skiddy

If you are set on getting a 21k I would get a 20k tandem axle with dual wheels. This will be much easier to handle

What are you using for a truck? 2 skidloaders is a lot

AdvancedLawns
05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
do you have a CDL? I agree 20k dual wheel dual axle would be better..what type of skid is it? i wouldnt reccomend hauling two t320s on one trailer unless you have a proper truck..F450 or higher.

Kidder
05-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I haven't bought the skid yet but am getting a Bobcat S250 which operates at a weight of 8400 lbs. The truck I use is a 2006 Ford 350 SRW 6L diesel with a tow capacity of 23000 lbs. I may be working about 3 hours from my house and want the ability to load the trailer with different attachments that I may need for different jobs.

Duffster
05-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I haven't bought the skid yet but am getting a Bobcat S250 which operates at a weight of 8400 lbs. The truck I use is a 2006 Ford 350 SRW 6L diesel with a tow capacity of 23000 lbs. I may be working about 3 hours from my house and want the ability to load the trailer with different attachments that I may need for different jobs.

IIRC the GCWR would be 23k

The tow rating would be around ~17k

I would have said to get a 14k to stay under CDL, but since you would need one either way I would go with a 20k deckover gooseneck

You will find many uses beyond hauling the skidloader for the deckover

South Florida Lawns
05-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Don't go with 3 axles they suck when turning, think of all the tire scrub. They are also harder to manuver because of all the tires.

Personally I'd go with a dual axle tandem wheel trailer.

If you wan't a good trailer look at an Anderson.

Gravel Rat
05-13-2009, 02:13 PM
No you don't want a single wheel triaxle they don't steer very well and its hard to load all three axles evenly. A tandem dual is a better they steer better etc.

I see you are from Manitoba so hills are not a problem so your F-350 should be okay.

A trailer like this one

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=FD

unkownfl
05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.butlertrailer.com/DisplayPage.aspx?Page=B2024FD.html

This is the manufacture that almost every power company I have worked for uses. I have abused these trailers pulled them in the mud bumps and dirt roads in the everglades down in south west florida. We use to have a cat backhoe 430 on it with a trencher so this beyond 20k it is rated for. I could pull this trailer with our f550 or the internation dt466 but with a 350 I dont think you are going to pull the weight very good.