PDA

View Full Version : Work Benches

whacked_46
03-31-2002, 08:36 PM
Hello again.

I am working on my shop this week. I am wondering what people use for shelving and what you use as a workbench.

Does any one know where to find plans for work benches also.

Thanks
:confused: :blob2:

dlandscaping
03-31-2002, 08:51 PM
when we built a bench in our cellar, my dad saw plans in a builder magazine. Take a look at one when your at the store, I can't remember the name of it or you can look at a do it yourself book like they have at home depot.

Craig Turf Management
03-31-2002, 09:26 PM
I work for a hospital, and when they remodel a room, they often throw away the doors. I find them all the time. They are solid wood doors, and weigh about 80 lbs. each. They are 36" wide, and I make a base for them and have them all around the walls of my garage. I mount them so that the hole for the doorknob is against the wall. This is a convenient place to run power cords etc.
Bill Craig!

keifer
03-31-2002, 09:35 PM
I got plans out of a mag for a wooden one. the back legs were 8 foot table about half way up the rest holds peg board cool plan. If you build one out of wood take a router and notch the legs for the table and selfs. That will make it twice as strong. The last one i built was out of steel chanel with stanless top and self with welded joints.

Bladewielder
03-31-2002, 11:31 PM
A friend of mine used old tractor trailer trailer doors for the top of his workbench. They are made with thick plywood sandwiched with aluminum sheets--very tough. You might be able to get them at trailer repair shop.

Mykster
03-31-2002, 11:55 PM
For shelving I just went to Lowe's and bought some of there shelving kits. They have a few different styles to choose from. They turned out really nice. As for a workbench, I built from scratch. Framed two small sections out of 2x4's that would be my counter top and screwed them into the wall. I cut smaller pieces for my main support under the bench and cut them with my mitre saw to get the angle to run them back down and anchored into the wall studs. It is very strong and very cheap to build.

MOW ED
04-01-2002, 06:24 AM
They are hard to find but if you find a bowling alley that is out of business or replacing the lanes you will have one of the hardest surfaces to pound on that I know of short of solid steel.

I just put about 60 feet of shelves in the garage. I used old plywood, gi check the dumpsters around the building sites if you are looking for a cheap way of shelving.