PDA

View Full Version : I can't sleep- Zoysia Brown Patch

djbattaglia1
05-12-2009, 07:54 PM
I need your professioal assistance. I am an avid landscaper and gardener and this spring I find myself with a huge problem as I try to keep a cool head.

I think I have a bad case of brown patch in my emerald zoysia-and I have gotten plenty of opinions.

1. I just hired a lawn service in this Atlanta suburb and have had 2 fungicide applications. I am being told to stay patient.

2. I contacted the coop extension but have not submitted soil samples.

3. I have gotten over 5 quotes and opinions from dethatching, scalping and aerating to the good folks at Level Lawn to do a complete restore with top dressing. These quotes for 4200 sq feet go from $240 for minimal cut to $1000 for full deal.

4. The large area in the last picture is a depression that greens up late because of water retention. Should I over dress with river sand and build it up?

Should I approach this myself?

1. Go to Depot and rent a BlueBird power rake? Is it too late to do this? May 12th. Will it rip up the lawn? Is this too destructive?

2. Should I scalp zoysia- I am reading that this is not a prefered way of approaching the problem.

3. Should I just keep my cool? Re sod? Arg! The lawn has greened up over the past 4 weeks- but is there hope? I have tried hand raking some areas. Should I over sand?

I love my lawn and I am heartbroken.

Your help is much appreciated!

cgaengineer
05-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I forwarded a link to this post to a friend of mine with what appears to be the same problem...maybe he will chime in...Dave...are you out there?

midsouth grass master
05-13-2009, 07:58 PM
The real problem here is that the damage has already been done. The turf here that is brown is not living anymore. Apply all the fungicide you want, but it will only cure or protect the green grass that is showing symptoms of infection. Considering this is a Zoysia lawn you are gonna be looking at about two growing seasons atleast if you expect these areas to fill in from the grass that has survived. If you anticipate having a healthy lawn anytime soon, I suggest you rip it out and start over with new sod. I might even try a different type of zoysia like Empire hoping that it might be more disease resistant than the present variety. Good luck!

dave k
05-13-2009, 10:31 PM
What lawn care people did you hire? I recommend Arbor-Nomics
I have had the same problem, I thought mine was from scalping the lawn but its from fungus, I also had an infestation of Grubs, put down Dylox and had 200 nasty suckers come up out of the ground, picked them up so the birds wouldn't eat them and die.
It will not take as long as the other post says, Do you see any green in it at all? Mine is already beginning to get new growth coming up, I put down Heritage fungicide and will put down the 2nd round in 28 days, and will have a regular preventive app. every spring and fall.
e-mail me at davek@bellsouth if you need more advice, go look under the Post your Zoysia thread and on page 10 I think it is you will see my yard from last month, I can e-mail you pics of it now. I would check out Arbor-Nomics, they are rated # 1 in Atl. Ask for Brandon, he's the sales mgr.
Dave

dave k
05-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I sent you a PM, Check it and give me a call sometime.
If you don't receive it, e-mail me.
Soil samples from the co op won't tell you if you have fungus, did you put down anything for grubs? It looks like you have a small yard, what is the sq. footage?
I have 23000k sq. feet of Emerald. I will give you a name for top dressing, I was supposed to work with him tomorrow but can't, he does quality work, if you ever seen the Mercedes dealership off 85 and 316, he takes care of that property and sanded it.

djbattaglia1
05-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I appreciate any help I can get. I will send you and email. What is a PM?

Should I consider dethatching and scalping?

I have not put down and insecticide?

Aerate?

What should I do first?

tman100z
05-11-2010, 03:20 PM
My lawn looks the same with empire zoysia. Didi you ever do anything to resolve this??

mrmumbels
06-27-2010, 09:55 PM
My empire sucks too. I can't seem to find any Zyosia experts in Tampa though. Seems like all the Zoysia people are in Atlanta.

wrager
06-30-2010, 02:54 PM
If you do re-sod consider bermuda (as longa it is full sun). Since you appreciate taking care of your landscape, the mowing and fertilizing won't be an issue and you'll never have to deal with fungus and thatch. I've never had grubs or much winter kill either. It's cheap too at roughly $90 a pallet (500 sq. ft).

mrmumbels
06-30-2010, 03:01 PM
If you do re-sod consider bermuda (as longa it is full sun). Since you appreciate taking care of your landscape, the mowing and fertilizing won't be an issue and you'll never have to deal with fungus and thatch. I've never had grubs or much winter kill either. It's cheap too at roughly $90 a pallet (500 sq. ft).

I'm actually not a very big fan of bermuda. It's got a weird dull green color and doesn't grow nice and thick like the zoysia.

dave k
06-30-2010, 06:02 PM

Bermuda gets dollar spot, its a fungus of some sort.:cry:

RigglePLC
06-30-2010, 06:10 PM
The pictures show a very unusual pattern. This appears to be a mixture of two kinds of grass. One has a problem--one does not. It almost like a square pattern around the outside of the lawn. Is it the same kind of grass--for sure? Then why this pattern? I am from the frozen north--so maybe this is normal for you guys.