PDA

View Full Version : Oil Coolers

lsylvain
05-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I am wondering if anyone has experimented with some external oil coolers that have been kicked up a notch or two? I'm in Florida and my ZTR's get HOT. Too hot.

I was thinking of adding a larger oil cooler or two smaller ones and mounting somewhere farther away from the engine. Like for example under the fender or in place of the head lights.

Any thoughts?

Restrorob
05-12-2009, 10:18 PM
What brand/model units and engines ?

topsites
05-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Uhm, I'm not too thrilled with these things, although I realize they are sometimes necessary.

Because they're connected with rubber hoses, granted it's a special hose.
But they can and do bust...

My truck lost 4.5 quarts going down the road because of that.
I fixed it by cutting off the leaking part, then closing the loop with the good part of the hose, bypassing the cooler.
I did have two quarts with me, but even after I added this to the crankcase, nothing showed on the dipstick.

I didn't think I'd make it home, I suppose I should have called a tow truck ($200 + several hours)
But after I fixed it I was still sweating that engine seizing for days after...

Good thing I run synthetic, other than the fact it cost me $30 just in leaked oil.

tomo
05-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi ,
There is heaps of info on oil coolers fitted to ZTR ,do a search .

In the industrial world coolers are fitted to most systems

Mechanical items only fail from
lack of maintenance
the idiot working on the machine
poor design

Coolers can be made by
Long industries [Eaton company] stacked plate no fins
Dixie chopper and kohler use them

There is also a aluminium cylinder with fins .U can get it in different lengths and can be easily mounted [do search ]

Coolers also add increased oil capacity ,so AS well as cooling this also extends its life a little .Therefore at a 70 hr oil change the oil is in better condition and has protected your engine to a greater degree

KUBOTA DIESEL company eg reduces the oil change interval when the oil sump is reduced in size . Obviously this is from the oil being :hammerhead: cycled thru to many times .

The above occurs on the walker diesel . The diesel uses the small sump . When a replacement engine arrives it comes with a manual [interesting reading ]
Walker oil change interval 100hrs
Kubota 50-70 hrs [donot take mower makers word ]

Quart is a few ounces under a metric litre of fluid
kubota large sump 3.6 ltrs
kubota small sump 3.1 litrs

Using above info this puts eg kohler oil capacity to shame :dizzy::dizzy:
[kohler 2 quarts ]
This is why in difficult conditions the oil is then totally abused .

The oil out of my gas walker drained out at 50-70 hrs was very very tired :sleeping: Adding a cooler rectified this

tomo :waving: