PDA

View Full Version : My first hardscape/landscape job. Please critique

l3en007
05-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I subbed out the concrete work to father in law, and irrigation to my dad. Other then that, the whole job is my design and everything. First big job done through my business....let me know what you think!

l3en007
05-12-2009, 10:41 PM
these are more pics from my first job

l3en007
05-12-2009, 10:45 PM
of my first job

l3en007
05-12-2009, 10:47 PM
sorry took alot, haha.

DVS Hardscaper
05-12-2009, 10:53 PM
A little messy on the clean up of the sand in the joints

zedosix
05-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Not much room for the yews to take root and grow, your lines are choppy a bit, I don't like the curbing, walkway is a bit low in comparison to the lawn. I don't believe you've used poly sand. Other than that for a first job, pretty good. Now its hard to comment on how you did your job, because we don't see any equipment there, saws, compactors excavators etc. Keep up the good work.

NewHorizon's Land
05-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Poist 2 pic 4= the left side is straight while the right side is choppy. Run some stringlines if you have to. Also make the curve in the front look better. 1/2 inch pvc can make a difference if you use it on the outside and places your pavers against that to make curves.

NewHorizon's Land
05-13-2009, 12:27 AM
post 2 pic 5 = how did you set the pavers on the concrete in the porch area?

Superior L & L
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Since its your first, my thought is you WAY under bid this. What brand of bick is it ? Looks like HD special

kootoomootoo
05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
How much does a porta potty cost?

mzgloves20
05-13-2009, 11:23 PM
I give him props... for one..."my first job" is the title. Looks better than some "professional installer" jobs ive seen.

I'd give it a 6.5 out of ten. It's not horrible by any means...

I don't like soldiers on narrow walks. That's just me.

l3en007
05-13-2009, 11:44 PM
post 2 pic 5 = how did you set the pavers on the concrete in the porch area?
on one inch of bedding sand? what else should i have done

l3en007
05-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Since its your first, my thought is you WAY under bid this. What brand of bick is it ? Looks like HD special
Put it this way Superior, I made more money on this job then you. Joke(yet true). Trust me, I know what "getting good money" for your work is, and I GOT IT. Excuse my english. HD Special? haha. Its Ep Henrys new line "Imperial" equivalent to Old Town Cobble. It was the owners choice...hes friends with the Henrys so received a good deal. Take a guess at what I charged for this job and ill tell you if your close or not..If you think I underbid, let me know what you think I bid...

l3en007
05-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Not much room for the yews to take root and grow, your lines are choppy a bit, I don't like the curbing, walkway is a bit low in comparison to the lawn. I don't believe you've used poly sand. Other than that for a first job, pretty good. Now its hard to comment on how you did your job, because we don't see any equipment there, saws, compactors excavators etc. Keep up the good work.
where do you see yews? I didnt plant any yews:hammerhead:. Are you talking about the box woods? there planted close together to form a hedge row

CALandscapes
05-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Blue,

Take this forum for what it is; a place to ask questions, show your work, and get advice. While a lot of the posters were on the harsher side with their comments, they were, for the most part, all correct. Use their constructive criticism to help make sure your next job is better.

Considering it was your first "big job," I think that it looks great. However, with some more experience, taking suggestions, studying, etc., I think that you can improve a LOT.

-Chase

l3en007
05-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Will do.
Thanks Chase and to all that critiqued my job. All jokes aside I do learn alot from all you guys...Thanks!

NewHorizon's Land
05-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Just wanted to make sure it was on bedding sand.

PatriotLandscape
05-15-2009, 08:28 PM
not knowing the specifics I'd say 45-75k

PatriotLandscape
05-15-2009, 08:30 PM
It's a good looking job. I'm not a fan of the soldier course and some of the cutting/raius' but other than that it seems like decent quality work and came out nice.

dtelawn
05-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I do not have a lot of experience with stone or pavers but I will comment to a pretty good job. I see few things, but much better than my first big job. Yes we all want to do a great job, but the real feedback is not from us. Are the customers happy with what you did for the price? That is really all that matters.

bigslick7878
05-15-2009, 09:42 PM
The lines need some big time work and the brick pattern near the front sidewalk does as well......along with the narrow path with those huge border bricks along the edge.

It looks like you just bought a bunch of brick and "made it work" rather than mapping it out ahead of time and using the proper sizes/patterns.

If you want to keep clients I would suggest a little more practice especially if you are going to tackle a job of that size.

jblawns123
05-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Keep in mind you are asking for opinions of professionals, not homeowners... If this was a homeowner forum, you would get the answers you want to hear.

On the subject at hand, There are a few areas that didn't lay right, weird cuts etc.. As others have said... its not that the walks are too low, the sod install is too high. You had start and end heights for the walk, the lawn should follow.

I think its a "good enough" install and design. I think most homeowners would be thrilled with the results. However, take advice... listen... it will only better yourself. It sounds to me like you expected to hear all praise and are getting defensive when you hear other wise.

I am sure you will chime back in saying how wrong I am, but thats fine.... its only a forum.

I would be interested in the total price for this job. And the simple fact that you do not want to disclose the figures tells me you are not confident in your pricing.

I didn't see any mention of base material, product used, depth, compaction psi, lifts etc... So I can only judge based on what I see.

I think your curbing heights are too inconsistant, that should really compliment the walkway and IMO takes away from it.

GMTA
05-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Looks like you used bedding sand for your interlocking sand, looks bad and will wash out. Also the walkway to the sidewalk looks bad. And your curbstone should be lower in height and more uniform throughout. Keep working to get better!

4 seasons lawn&land
05-17-2009, 09:51 PM
nothing to critique, look's great. I don't like the really busy sidewalk design in the last pics but it still looks good.

$27k??? The guy that said 45-75 is not long to be in business.

PSUTURFGEEK
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Considering Imperial is a HD line of pavers now and is like 1.10 sq your profit margin should be pretty good.

zedosix
05-18-2009, 12:03 AM
where do you see yews? I didnt plant any yews:hammerhead:. Are you talking about the box woods? there planted close together to form a hedge row

I'm not talking about the boxwood hedge, I'm talkinabout the pyramid yew that yew have growing about 2" from everything. They get a bit bigger than 3' tall yew know. :)

tstutz
06-02-2009, 07:36 PM
looks like a nice property

Mid-Ohio Scaper
06-06-2009, 03:30 PM
What pattern is that? Lines aren't very fluid. Sand looks like hell. Hate the curbing. Other than that, not bad.

PatriotLandscape
06-07-2009, 09:02 PM
nothing to critique, look's great. I don't like the really busy sidewalk design in the last pics but it still looks good.

$27k??? The guy that said 45-75 is not long to be in business.

Been in business for over seven years and continue to grow. I've seen your work I wouldn't be telling people they wont be in business long with that quality.

If i can get 45 for the same job you sell for 27 who's the one not long for business? the one making money or the guy going broke slowly.

SCSLLC
06-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Concrete looks great

Kizzelwhix
06-12-2009, 08:19 PM
The yews on either side of the steps, I have to agree - give it a year or two and they will need to be yanked.

I like the bed-edges
agree with everyone else about the walkway pretty much
what did you use for base? the one pile you got there looks almost like crushed asphalt - though its hard to tell. I didnt see a compactor anywhere either.

overall it looks nice, but the little details are what comes back to bite you in the ass.

Looks like mason sand in the walkway joints, should be HP Poly, especially seeing how it looks like it sits lower than the sod, it will end up being a river with a good rain.

Sod should have been rolled.

CertPro
06-13-2009, 01:15 PM
They look more like Steeds holly to me

Glenn Lawn Care
06-18-2009, 12:33 AM
ehhh looks ok! whats with the nice azz house and a tiny azz garage