PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding

ajordan193
05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I have a customer who has been unhappy with is lawn for years now because of the various bare spots. He asked me for an estimate on overseeding his property. I have never overseeded before and was wondering what the best way to go about doing this would be and what materials are required? Thanks in advance.

tombo82685
05-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Power rake or get a garden rake and scratch/ loosen the soil up so you have a nice firm soil bed. Then lay your seed down then get something to insure soil to seed contact like a roller or tamp. Dont put brut force into just put enough pressure so the air pockets are out of it. Put some starter fert down. Then throw either mulch or hay over it to hold moisture. Did the person already put down a pre emerge?

Smallaxe
05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a customer who has been unhappy with is lawn for years now because of the various bare spots. He asked me for an estimate on overseeding his property. I have never overseeded before and was wondering what the best way to go about doing this would be and what materials are required? Thanks in advance.

It would be useful to know why there are bare spots. Compaction from overwatering? In that case do the aeration along with scratching the surface and water in the seed.

How much weed pressure can be expected? Are these spots from killing back weeds?

ajordan193
05-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the reply's. My customer has his lawn fertilized by a another company and also had it thatched this spring. The grass is just very sparse, where some spots are growing and others are not. He claims the lawn has been this way for years and is looking for a solution and thought i should overseed for him. Suggestions?

Lux Lawn
05-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the reply's. My customer has his lawn fertilized by a another company and also had it thatched this spring. The grass is just very sparse, where some spots are growing and others are not. He claims the lawn has been this way for years and is looking for a solution and thought i should overseed for him. Suggestions?

If it has already been thatched you can aerate it, throw your seed and starter fertilizer down...it should grow fine.
I have had a serous problem growing grass in my backyard due to the shade by 100+ foot oak trees. This spring before the leaves got on the trees I aerated it and seeded NO starter fertilizer because of dogs...its growing well. I might need a second seeding, maybe in the fall.

amscapes03
05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Find out what the other guy put down for the first fert application. If he's using chemicals, Something like Scotts Step 1 which has probably already been applied has herbicide in it to kill off crabgrass. Step 2 which is coming up in a few weeks also has herbicide in it to kill off broad leaf weeds. Both will kill off, or not let new grass seed germinate. I'm not sure, but i think you need to wait about 5 to 6 weeks after herbicide has been applied before you can attempt to overseed. Typically, overseeding of a lawn is done in the fall (Sept).

Midstate Lawncare
05-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Sparse? What are the conditions of the property? pics?

If it has already been thatched you can aerate it, throw your seed and starter fertilizer down...it should grow fine.
I have had a serous problem growing grass in my backyard due to the shade by 100+ foot oak trees. This spring before the leaves got on the trees I aerated it and seeded NO starter fertilizer because of dogs...its growing well. I might need a second seeding, maybe in the fall.

Oak trees? Tanic aid is your problem. Lime the living crap out of it and apply starter fert twice per year. You'll be good.

White Gardens
05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
I would be doing some soil samples to know exactly what the root of the problem is.

EquityGreen
05-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Buy a Lawn Revitalizer!!! They are the best machine built! Way to go david...

Lux Lawn
05-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Sparse? What are the conditions of the property? pics?

Oak trees? Tanic aid is your problem. Lime the living crap out of it and apply starter fert twice per year. You'll be good.

I would love to apply the starter fertilizer to it...but I have 3 dogs that really mean more to me then the grass. I just wanted to fill it in a little.
I understand what you are saying but I just can't put any chemicals by the dogs, they eat grass like cows.