PDA

View Full Version : #visits in fl

ProMo
03-31-2002, 09:50 PM
ive been servicing lawns in fl 51x year was told 40 should be my max any input appreciated

keifer
03-31-2002, 09:52 PM
Well if it is growing somebody got to cut it might as well be you.

Guardian
03-31-2002, 10:03 PM
Here in the panhandle, we run a 42 week plan. Once per week from April through October, then once every two weeks from November through March.

This will be my third year with this schedule. I adopted it from one of the bigger companies in my area.

......and I guess this means I have to get up early tomorrow, so sad to see winter go :(

IrishHank
03-31-2002, 10:07 PM
I have worked for a lawn company in your area. I now operate my own about 2 hrs South of you. I cut 42 times per year, every week April through September, every other week November through March. Give or take a week for weather, but I price my jobs at 42 cuts per year. I hope you enjoyed your winter break, Tomorrow morning starts a long summer.

IrishHank
03-31-2002, 10:09 PM
Guardian...

We are both on the same wave length. Your reply must have posted while I was typing mine.....

Gonna be another HOT summer

mowerman90
03-31-2002, 10:09 PM
I'm just a little South of your location here in Spring Hill FL and I mow weekly Apr thru Oct and bi-weekly Nov thru Mar. I honestly don't know what you mow weekly all winter. I know if we get many frosts I barely have to turn the blades on some weeks durning Dec or Jan. Just so long as you're making a profit, then whatever floats your boat.

ProMo
04-01-2002, 07:13 AM
finnaly getting some answers thats just it im not making a profit not cutting all 51 visits im just showing up trimming weeding etc all but 4 cust pay year rnd.I almost went under and trying to make some major changes raising prices etc (havnt done in 10 yrs)I think ive made all the mistakes.No health ins is the killer wife had a baby 9 mo ago then sep 11 its been a downhill battle.Things lookin a little better but i still need to work on a contract and better pricing.just bought a measuring wheel hope it helps.If anyone can email me an agreement to look or production rates etc id be greatful my biz is still salvagable but i need to do it right thanx guys

Fantasy Lawns
04-01-2002, 10:03 AM
ALL Customers pay Year Round ... that's the Key down here .... NO PER CUTS .... if you start to per cut your area will become invested with "roaches"

Growing Season: April through October: Mowing of all turf areas once a week, with a mulching mower in varying patterns to minimize rutting, removal of 1/3 blade height.

Dormant Season: November through March: Mowing of all turf areas once every other week or as needed to maintain a neat overall appearance

I hear from some " why should I pay full price in Dec when you only cut it twice" .... the system is "42 cut per year" .....

This month we are back to "weekly" so my Mon & Tues are getting 5 cuts .... infact there are 3 summer months when EACH customer gets 5 cuts ....n 2 Winter when they get 3 .... that's why they pay full price in Dec

Say a yard takes you 35 Min from gate drop n to raised (this is the time to measure) 35x42= 1470 min or 24.5 hours yearly x 35 (or what ever your resi hourly rate is) comes to $857.50 for 24.5 hours of work or $70 per month (actually 71.4)

ProMo
04-01-2002, 07:55 PM
im shooting for 35 hr with 36,60 with dixie 60 for hedge trimming i have detailed records of all my customers for last 3 years but i was trimming hedges 1x month at most.all i have talked to have no prob with cutting back to 42x because i told them ill be trimming every 2 weeks and it will always look trimmed ive been timing the trimming and its taking 1/2 the time to trim that way and nothing to rake up.Now i need a good contract what if someone cancels at winter time i need to be able to get my losses back.

CLM1103
04-01-2002, 08:38 PM
I charge by the month .. twelve months a year. Lawns wil be cut "as needed". I do not specify a number of times they will be cut and have never had a poroblem with this. Jan. or Feb, depending on the weather, may get only one cut.

I just explain to any that ask that I divide my yearly bill by 12 months so I have the same income in winter as summer.

LIL YARD BOY
04-01-2002, 09:15 PM
I think Ive got some problems, help ive been charging per cut and im getting more yards now I know im beeing screwed on these yards by cut but now after a year how do i change the rate and how much should you charge for orlando florida lets say a yard 81 x 125 ive been charging 25.00 a cut and extra for fertilizing, hedges and 15 to 25 per palm tree

CLM1103
04-01-2002, 10:00 PM
Take a few of your worst accounts and send out a notice that you are changing the price structure to stay in line with competitive rates. Give a couple of weeks notice & tell them to notify you immediately if this is a problem. This will give you a feel of things without risking to much. In December, I sent price change notices to 96 customers to begin January 1, 2002. I only lost one customer, however, they have since called me back and i am doing their yard again.

If you get a good acceptance, send notices to the rest.