PDA

View Full Version : No grass around cabin in the trees

guy48065
05-13-2009, 01:24 PM
I have the cliche "cabin up north in the woods". Not actually woods--but there's so many trees that not much light penetrates to the ground. My neighbors & I only have a tuft of grass here & there. No need to keep a mower up there :rolleyes:
Currently my ground cover is dry leaves. If I pick up the leaves then my entire yard is sandy with those sparse tufts of grass. Lots of dirt gets tracked into the house--so I leave the leaves where they lay. There are a couple 'full-timers' in my neighborhood who have a proper lawn but they trucked in topsoil & they water often--not an option for someone who only spends 2 days there now & then.

So my question is...Do I have any options under these circumstances? Looking for ideas.

The geography in question is northern Michigan.

capelawncare.com
05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Enjoy your time at the cabin, buy a door mat, and screw the grass.

KGR landscapeing
05-13-2009, 11:22 PM
rough bluegrass will basicly grow in the dark

guy48065
05-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Will it grow in sand?

bigslick7878
05-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Enjoy your time at the cabin, buy a door mat, and screw the grass.

That pretty much sums it up!!

Smallaxe
05-14-2009, 08:50 AM
There is an indigenious grass that grows in the 'Northwoods'. When you find some, you can always transplant a bit here and there. It grows best in the decayed leaves of the forest floor, so bring it all as a unit.
Just don't be digging into sandy hillsides to get some grass, then leave it to erode, but I am sure everyone understands that. :)

Whitey4
05-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Plant a ground cover like sweet woodruff, or get a mat as suggested! English Ivy would work, but I hate the stuff. Maybe some of these other weird grasses would work, but I have no experience with any grass that grows in shaded sand.

RigglePLC
05-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Ground cover is a good option. Myrtle for instance. Or ferns. I don't see anything wrong with matted down leaves --after all it is a cottage in the woods--right?

guy48065
05-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Well I think I'm going to follow capelawncare's advice :)
I really don't want to care for a real lawn and probably anything else will end up being more trouble than it's worth.

Really my only problem with the dry leaves is the fire hazard. Literally the entire 'block' is covered 2 inches deep. I already had a fire leap from my pit & start a leaf fire--even though I had raked them about 8 feet back from the pit. So now I'm just a little wiser--and paranoid--about another similar accident.

I've made installing a hose bib a top priority on my "to do" list.

capelawncare.com
05-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Well I think I'm going to follow capelawncare's advice :)
I really don't want to care for a real lawn and probably anything else will end up being more trouble than it's worth.

Really my only problem with the dry leaves is the fire hazard. Literally the entire 'block' is covered 2 inches deep. I already had a fire leap from my pit & start a leaf fire--even though I had raked them about 8 feet back from the pit. So now I'm just a little wiser--and paranoid--about another similar accident.

I've made installing a hose bib a top priority on my "to do" list.

We have a cabin in the southern appalachians. The very last thing I want to worry about during my visits, is a lawn. We go up every couple of months, and I spend about 10 minutes with a sprayer. That handles the weeds and grass until the next visit.

naughty62
06-12-2009, 08:06 AM
I have seen a lot of shady cabin up north and notice a lot of em have hard fescue around em ,but i would check locally

AI Inc
06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Rent a chipper, trim back the trees and chip them . Leave it like that.
Trying to grow grass in a shady , sandy area with limited water is just going to frustrtate you. or as the saying goes " dont try to teach a pig to sing , it will only frustrate you , and it annoys the pig"

JFF
06-12-2009, 08:29 AM
For grass, generally speaking, you need 3 things: sun, soil, and water. If you are missing any 1 (or more) of the 3 you will have some percentage of irritation.

I live in a warm climate, so shady tolerant turfs like fescue burn out in the warm summer months. When I see shade, I always advise my clients to go with a permanent solution, usually woody ornamentals. Many of them have been "renting" sod, which costs more in the long run than a well designed bed full of low maintenance plants.