PDA

View Full Version : 17 Kohler courage problems

Capemay Eagle
05-13-2009, 03:17 PM
I have a Hustler MFT 42 with the Kohler 17. The problem I am having is the engine raced higher than normal in the middle of a cut, then I could not slow the engine down with the throttle, I pulled the lever back and the engine continued to race. So then the engine started to act like it was out of gas and then just stopped running. I let it sit for awhile then it started and I finished the yard, but on half power, it would not run full speed. I went out today and did all the normal service, fuel filter, air filter and spark plug and it is running normal, but it tends to bog a bit like the engine slows down and needs to catch up. I am thinking that it is the fuel pump, becasue the fuel filter looks like it is almost empty when it is running, or maybe that is the way it is, I don't know. Any help here guys.

laxratnd
05-13-2009, 05:18 PM
hey, how old is the fuel in it. Could be you just need some fuel cleaner in there to get it running smooth again. When is the last time you changed your oil. Check all your throttle cables as these sometimes can stick.

lax

mowerknower
05-13-2009, 10:12 PM
If it raced while it was running I would think you have a governor problem. Check to make sure the governor linkage is not rubbing on anything.

Capemay Eagle
05-13-2009, 11:24 PM
If it raced while it was running I would think you have a governor problem. Check to make sure the governor linkage is not rubbing on anything.
Good tip, I will check that tomorrow. While I was cutting, the engine began to scream!!. It was much faster than the normal setting.