PDA

View Full Version : Creative Block

White Gardens
05-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I've got a couple of design pics here. The side with the short wall and flagstone is pretty well settled on.

The pictures of the front are stumping me. Any thoughts.

White Gardens
05-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Dang, I've got a flying rock in the first one.

Here it is fixed

White Gardens
05-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Another thought on the front.

JDiepstra
05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Why don't you post the picture. I'm not going through the trouble of opening up all those files.

White Gardens
05-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I've been having problems converting back to a jpg. file to show up like a pic. I'll see what I can do.

White Gardens
05-13-2009, 08:22 PM

jg244888
05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
what software you use???

AGLA
05-13-2009, 10:12 PM
I understand your leaning toward symetry on the porch, but you might want to experiment with the idea of having just the corner plants be different. The rest of the house and property makes me want to have something more upright on the right and less so on the left.

Another thing you might want to experiment with is to push back the planting to the right of the porch. Planting out to the walk all the way is setting up an even view all the way across, not necessarilly a bad thing. If you pushed the planting back (maybe keep 4 or 5' of lawn on the other side of the walk) on that side it would visually advance the symetric part of the house giving some depth to the overall appearance. Just some things to experiment with.

You might even try three of the same shrubs in front of each side of the porch as a different look to the on in front with two others behind.

White Gardens
05-14-2009, 01:54 AM
I understand your leaning toward symetry on the porch, but you might want to experiment with the idea of having just the corner plants be different. The rest of the house and property makes me want to have something more upright on the right and less so on the left.

Another thing you might want to experiment with is to push back the planting to the right of the porch. Planting out to the walk all the way is setting up an even view all the way across, not necessarilly a bad thing.

You might even try three of the same shrubs in front of each side of the porch as a different look to the on in front with two others behind.

I will have to agree with your post 100% AGLA.

1.) I always do lean towards symmetry. In this situation you are right as in I can play around as the house is in the country, and the first impression you get is the space to the right. (Design image with short wall) So ultimately that is the spot the eye will be drawn to first. It's not like you have people walking down a sidewalk looking directly in front of the house. One other thing, The grade from right to left throws off the symmetry and that's something that can't be fixed.

2.) Take a look at the second pic I uploaded a shot showing the amount of space I have to work with when the bushes are gone. If I'm understanding you correctly, I will be able to push the plantings back from the sidewalk leaving a little more room. It's sometimes hard to see actual depth perception from certain angles. I would have like to do a design with that pic but the angle was too sharp for me to effectively remove the bushes from the pic.

3.) I like the three bushes idea. I'm a big advocate of using sets of 3 or 5. (odd numbers) Things just seem to look better that way. I just wasn't sure with the spirea if I was going to have enough room for three. If I pick the right variety, I should be OK.

4.) Also for the earlier post, The program is Landscape Pro.

All in all, I'm trying to have fun with the fact that this is a 110 year old house and the bricks were hand made locally. I like properties with history.

I talk to the client tonight. She likes the idea of the spireas in the front. I also added a Blue Spruce to the right. I like that color in there.

AGLA
05-14-2009, 07:02 AM
You have plenty of room unless you are staying within the confines of those blocks. Your mock ups are not showing grass on the other side of the walk, so I'm assuming that you are not. Try pulling the middle of the three out forward a bit and the other two back a bit. Use the triangular voids of those spaces in front and to the outside of those two set backed plants for smaller plants or seasonal color.

I would like to see something a bit bigger back next to the porch on the left (rhodi, perhaps) in order to keep the corner planting in front of something. Without it, you want to look into the back yard, so it weakens the balance of the whole thing.

I would not use a top grafted plant on the corner, but something a little more meaty. The reasoning is that you show a vertical line of its trunk and still see the vertical line of the edge of the house. Usually, you want to interupt that hiuse line in order to "tuck in" the house to the ground.

White Gardens
05-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Ya your right about the vertical line of the spruce on the left.

I have thought about a rhodo back to the left, but I'm thinking there will be way too much shade for it. That are is the hardest of the project to fill in.

Let me see if I can get another design together. My son is sick and I"m home with him today, so that gives me an opportunity to finish this design.

Dreams To Designs
05-14-2009, 09:37 AM
WG, what is your client's theme? What type of look do they desire? The horizontal lines of that home are overwhelming, The porch, the railing, the lower and upper roof lines, the dormer, as well as the block fascia. It needs some punches of verticality and height to bring it back down to scale. What about exposure and zone?

Kirk

White Gardens
05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Zone 5.

Their main concern is to not obstruct the view from the porch. I originally had some 20 foot ornamental grasses in the design but it didn't fly. I'm hoping that the Japanese Maple will add a little "punch" as you described.

No exact theme going on, they're just looking for a little year-round color and I'm hoping to get that primarily from the Jap Maple and the spireas.

The customer is pretty well set on this last design. Hey, got to give the public what they want. Like I tell all my customers..... "I'll give you my opinion, you decide what you want because you have to live with it."

I personally would do this design completely different if it were my house.

Still, if anyone has some input, let me know. The plants won't go in till the middle of next week.

Dreams To Designs
05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Where's the year round color in the latest design? Other than the two rhododendron, which appear to be in 2 different environmental locations, where's the winter interest?

Carry your spring and summer color with waves of varied perennials, won't hurt if some shrubs add color and fragrance, add fall foliage along with fall blooming flowers and add fruit display or interesting branch structure for winter interest along with some evergreen.

Kirk

White Gardens
05-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Where's the year round color in the latest design? Other than the two rhododendron, which appear to be in 2 different environmental locations, where's the winter interest?

Carry your spring and summer color with waves of varied perennials, won't hurt if some shrubs add color and fragrance, add fall foliage along with fall blooming flowers and add fruit display or interesting branch structure for winter interest along with some evergreen.

Kirk

Sorry, I meant to say color during the season, not 4 seasons.

No evergreens, they want them gone.

Eventually some blooming spring bulbs such as tulips will be incorporated.

The rhodos might not be in the final project. I don't like the two different "environments" that they are in.

Also, they don't want the area to be to "full", so I wouldn't call this a true perennial garden. I've also discussed perennial flowers, but they said the yellow-jackets are really bad around the house, so they want to minimize the blooms.

I think at this point it comes down to splitting hairs, and is it really worth it.

Dreams To Designs
05-14-2009, 10:45 AM
If it were easy, anybody could do it. At least they think they can.

Find a style they like, possibly prairie, and go with it. Plenty of foliage perennials to add interest. What direction does it face?

Is the symmetry, your idea or the client's? If that is what they like, give them what they want. I think the left side needs much more weight. The addition on the right and your planting along with the large shade tree create an imbalance to the left side.

Kirk

White Gardens
05-14-2009, 10:50 AM
If it were easy, anybody could do it. At least they think they can.

Find a style they like, possibly prairie, and go with it. Plenty of foliage perennials to add interest. What direction does it face?

Is the symmetry, your idea or the client's? If that is what they like, give them what they want. I think the left side needs much more weight. The addition on the right and your planting along with the large shade tree create an imbalance to the left side.

Kirk

To the left in the shade (100% during the day) there is a Hosta garden there.

I originally wanted to do a shrub theme with different colored barberries, spireas, hollies, blue spruces, and some upright forms such as the Alberta Spruce.

The area faces the South.

I would like more weight on the left, but they don't want to block the view from the porch or from the deck to the left. I think it would look better with something on both sides of the sidewalk on the left to help frame in the entry to the porch.

The symmetry is my idea. I don't necessarily think that it needs to be 100% balanced, but I would like to see the shrubs in the front (spireas) be balanced. Everything else needs to just fall in place around them.

To the right, where the garage is, that area is going to be the main area of focus. I'm hoping the Jap Maple (their request, I wanted to use something different) is going to create some focus there. That is the design with the short wall. That is what most people will see when they pull into the driveway. The hostas are intended to help tie in with the area to the left (west) of the house.

I wanted to do more native switch grasses, native black-Eyed Susans, purple cone flowers etc.. but that idea was shot down.

White Gardens
05-14-2009, 12:07 PM
This is what I would love to see. If I were doing the maintenence on it I would push for something like this.

You could add more clumpings such as wildflowers, and also traditional bulbs such as alliums, tulips, etc..... to achieve color all season.

The two trees are more traditional for this area also.

White Gardens
05-15-2009, 08:39 AM
177 views and no more opinions ?????

Steiner
05-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I am not a fan of spirea near large deciduous trees, they are the velcro of the plant community and pic up every leaf that blows in their direction. Be sure the customer understands they must pull out accumulated debris in the spring.

Black eyed susan seem to match with the period of the house, I am also a big fan of ornamental grasses for the height and the movement they give to any landscape. I like variegated porcupine grasses for their brilliant foliage but I am not sure they are available in your zone.

-c

Steiner
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Be careful of blue spruce they are many of my new clients "oops I never knew it was going to get that big next to the house plant."

The get big quick here in NY and before you know it you will have people asking to prune them but there is not a ton that can be done. Great plant just watch your placement. I love redbud.

What about a serviceberry for under some of the shadier areas. Its the big thing here right now, draws in birds, and produces and edible fruit which can be made into jams and jellies, kinda reminds me of what might have went on in the home 100 years ago......hmmmmm....

White Gardens
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
I think, and I'm not for sure, but I do beleive that my supplier has a dwarf Blue Spruce. I'm not 100% positive if it is a more traditional tree shape or in the form of a shrub. I'm calling them today.

I met with the couple last night. She is looking at the current designs and we are going to finalize the project tonight. The spireas shouldn't catch too much debris and the HO owns a leaf-blower. Regardless, ease of maintenance is the primary objective.

In the mean-time, I have a short wall to build. I'm making it semi-permanent with a concrete "foundation" or base with re-bar laid in. The tree that it is near is eventually going to shift it. I'll have to try and take some progress pics. The only issue is going to be incorporating a step in it while kicking it back 12 inches to line it up with the garage.