PDA

View Full Version : L T Rich Z-Plug Aerator

turf&tree
05-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Wondering if anyone is using the Z- Plug Aerator. Wondering how you liked or disliked it. What is the price. I am looking for a ride on to speed up production this fall. Thanks, Jim

jbturf
05-19-2009, 10:30 PM
got a zplug last fall,
my opinion is that you still need a smaller walk behind aerator of some
kind to get the spots you cannot get with the Z

it is fast, rugged and well built
i also got the tine dethatch attachment - the versatility is great

the core spacing is a little too much for my liking, i end up double aerating
alot of places--you might ask LT rich about this if your shopping

g/l

DuallyVette
05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I have a z-plugger. Its pretty good. "Lawn Solutions" is comming out with a stand-on aerator that looks promising.

sclawndr
05-20-2009, 03:14 PM
The Z Plugger is excellent. Great plugs, very maneuverable, surprisingly good on slopes and it beats walking any day. We easily do 10000 SF in less than 15 minutes.

turf&tree
05-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the great info. I will take all of this into consideration.
Jim

turfcobob
05-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Turfco has two models of steerable aerators you can walk behind for trimming then put the sulky on and ride for the bulk of the lawn. The TurnAer series see them at Turfco.com

Grandview
05-21-2009, 06:17 PM
The Z Plugger is excellent. Great plugs, very maneuverable, surprisingly good on slopes and it beats walking any day. We easily do 10000 SF in less than 15 minutes.

Is that going across once or twice?

sclawndr
05-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Is that going across once or twice?

We only run yards once. It makes too much of a mess to run the machine over plugs that have already been pulled.

exmarkman2760
12-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Have a lt rich z plugr with 294 hours for sale if your intrerestes 1 615 506 8082

br549oicu8
12-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Turfco has two models of steerable aerators you can walk behind for trimming then put the sulky on and ride for the bulk of the lawn. The TurnAer series see them at Turfco.com

I saw those in Louisville but they are still a lot of work compared to the ride ons. I have a Classen split drive that you can steer and the guys grab the Plugr instead.
The Lawn Solutions machine looks really good, but the price will run most people off.

oasis2010
12-07-2009, 09:42 AM
I am located in Cincinnati Ohio and we love the z plugger . We also have 2 for sale ! If interested call 1 513 697 9090 . One is all stainless! One of a kind all in great shape !

lawn king
12-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I saw those in Louisville but they are still a lot of work compared to the ride ons. I have a Classen split drive that you can steer and the guys grab the Plugr instead.
The Lawn Solutions machine looks really good, but the price will run most people off.

Im not sure if i agree with you on the pricing of lawn solutions aerators? I purchased their walk behind unit 8 months ago. It was substancially more expensive than the,turfco,pluggr,ryans, etc. No regrets at all!

br549oicu8
12-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Im not sure if i agree with you on the pricing of lawn solutions aerators? I purchased their walk behind unit 8 months ago. It was substancially more expensive than the,turfco,pluggr,ryans, etc. No regrets at all!

WHat was the cost of yours? Seems like I was told around $9000 at the show, maybe a bit less.

lawn king
12-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I purchased the WB, it was $3500.

br549oicu8
12-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Actually, I was referring to the stand on unit.

grass4gas
12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
The ride on is around $6500.00 if I remember correctly. I also bought the WB...no regrets

Jack

DuallyVette
12-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I bought a Lawn Solutions Ride on Aerator this Fall. I have a z-plugger, used it one season, but the LS was a "HAD TO HAVE" aerator. The best ever. LS started out saying that the stand-up would be $6500. Then they had to make some expensive adjustments (upgrades) to their origional design. I boiught it at $8000., but was told that it would cost more next year.

turf&tree
12-15-2009, 04:22 PM
I ended up buying the Z-Plug and love it. As far as doing 10,000 sq ft in 15 min, that is debatable. Perhaps if it were very wide open. The Z is quick though.

MikeT
12-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey guys,

I'd appreciate some opinions comparing buying a stand-on aerator vs. investing in a tractor, and over time, various implements, including a towable aerator. What are the advantages in buying a stand-on when that money could go towards a tractor that will also permit rototilling, harley rake, loader, pull behind aerator, etc? I know there will be some limitations such as gates, slopes, heavier trailer need, etc. We do have walk behind aerators for small properties and trimming. Just trying to get as much versatility for the money as possible. Ditto for a towable compost spreader on a tractor versus a self propelled walk behind. Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike T.

LawnSolutionsCP
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey guys,

I'd appreciate some opinions comparing buying a stand-on aerator vs. investing in a tractor, and over time, various implements, including a towable aerator. What are the advantages in buying a stand-on when that money could go towards a tractor that will also permit rototilling, harley rake, loader, pull behind aerator, etc? I know there will be some limitations such as gates, slopes, heavier trailer need, etc. We do have walk behind aerators for small properties and trimming. Just trying to get as much versatility for the money as possible. Ditto for a towable compost spreader on a tractor versus a self propelled walk behind. Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike T.

Stand-on Aerator - we recommend LCOs with 150 or more aerations a year. 1 person could easily do 300-400 based on normal lot size 1/4 - 1 acre with a stand on aerator.

Tractor - more versitile, for general site work, but no way is it as productive as a good stand-on aerator on 4,000 - 40,000 sqft lots. Transporting become an issue as well. A stand-on is much easier to trasport and can go in the back of a pickup or small trailer and be unloaded or loaded very quickly.

If you have a tractor, you would probably stay with a 3-pt hitch setup with a walk-behind for smaller areas unless you are doing 300+ aerations a year on residential property then you would want to go with a smaller and quicker ride-on machine compaired to a tractor. The productivity would pay for the ride-on pretty quickly.

To make the decision you need to look at productivity, size of the area and terrain, maneuvability desired, etc... The tractor will be quicker on large (2+ acres) open areas (sports fields), but on residential / commercial properties a ride-on machine will be much faster and do a much better job.

The decision needs to be made on your application / business needs.

MikeT
12-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Good, specific points. Thank you!

DuallyVette
12-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I bought a z-plugger...and then the Lawn Solutions stand-up aerator because I was tired of hauling around a John Deere 4400 HST tractor and 1200lb (+ 500 lb weights) aerator around and spending half the day turning it around, or backing up. I can carry my stand-up mower,LS Standup aerator, and plenty of seed and fertilizer in ONE 20 foot enclosed trailer. I use to take 2 trucks and trailers. 1 to mow the lawn, and 1 to aerate/seed/fert.

I love my tractor, but I'd rather aerate with the LS Standup. I stayed with the tractor so long, because most aerators wouldn't go in the ground very well, unless it was recently wet. The LS does very well...better than my 1700lb custom "Ryan" 60"

MikeT
12-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Good info, Dually. Thanks!
Mike

Raege
02-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but how do people feel about this topic these days? Who (arguably) makes the best stand on aerator?

DuallyVette
02-19-2014, 12:41 AM
My z-plugger, one of the early design, has been parked in my storage since a month after I bought it, many years ago. I've only used it to spread lime, through the optional spreader. It does make a nice, too long, awkward, spreader.