PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Difficult Starting

bob
05-13-2009, 07:38 PM
My GH 725 w/Kubota has been acting strange. On 2 mornings it wouldn't fire up. And one time in the middle of the day it wouldn't fire up. I used a quick shot of starter fluid and it starts the rest of the day. Any ideas?

laxratnd
05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
How are your batteries. is it sluggish a little in the morning. i could be its being drained and after you start it up it gets a little charge and is fine.

Also could be after you shut it down for the day, it may be leaking fuel and in the morning it would be tuff to start then. Sometime gas evaporates and take a little time to get back into the system.

lax

bob
05-13-2009, 11:05 PM
The battery was bought at the end of last year. The engine cranks great. Pull the choke lever & nothing happens. I don't see any sign of leaking gas.

Mowingman
05-14-2009, 10:13 PM
I might be able to help. I assume this is the Kubota gas engine?? What year model is this machine? Let me know and I will post back if I can help.

bob
05-17-2009, 10:42 AM
What year model is this machine?

Its a Kubota Gas water cooled , 2004- 725-G2. thanks

Mowingman
05-17-2009, 01:53 PM
At one of the factory service schools, we discussed a problem like yours with Kubota gas engines. I can not remember which model years are involved.
The problem is in the design of the heads and the plug wires. As I recall, moisture was being trapped in and around the spark plugs and causing that moisture to get into the wire/cap, on the spark plug. It was an odd problem. Ask your dealer about this, or call the Grasshopper factory and talk to a customer service tech. If whoever takes your call does not know about this problem, tell them to ask "Leon". Leon is a service tech who works with the dealers.

Lehighlawnpros
05-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey Bob,
Any progress?

We have a 725 also (1998)

One time the coil wire had worked loose,
so you might check that.

Otherwise;

battery
ground connections
water/debris in distributor
new plugs can't hurt

Also, you'll notice that there is a small "ventilation" hose connected to the distributor cap,
check it periodically to make sure it stays clean and unplugged or else the
$200+ "igniter" inside the distributor can fail (machine won't run at all).