PDA

View Full Version : Is this brown patch??

jsw2008
05-14-2009, 03:49 PM
This is a centipede lawn in the western part of SC. I'm pretty sure its brown patch, but I wanted some more experienced eyes to tell me for sure.

RAlmaroad
05-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Brown Patch will commonly have a smoke ring around the edge of the circular pattern. Do you see banding (Green then yellow then green) on the leaves? Do the leaves pull out and sorta look slimy? It's hard to tell from the photos. Could you get in closer and try to get just an area of about 1-2'. How long did it take to get this bad? It is not too early to start a monthly application of Heritage followed next month by Cleary+Daconil, followed by Eagle+ Mancozeb. Alternating each month with about 125 PSIG. Where are you located? Roy

jsw2008
05-14-2009, 08:03 PM
The leaves will pull out very easily and are reddish in color along the edges pf the patch. This yard was re-sodded last year (not by me) and the st aug grass before did the same thing. The area is really wet and despite me telling the homeowner to quit watering every day, he lets the irrigation run twice a day for 15 minutes each time. He also loves Lesco and before I took over the yard about 3 months ago, he was putting down all kinds of high nitrogen fert and grub control, etc, etc., and too much of all of it. I have finally gotten him to stop all applications unless he tells me about it. I'm in Laurens County in the upstate. I have a couple more pics, but they won't upload for some reason.

jsw2008
05-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Here's a closer view.

RAlmaroad
05-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I'd drop them. On that Brown Patch....I have a theory...have nothing to substantiate it and will probably get a lot of hate mail: I believe a lot of Brown Patch is due to granular fertilize drawing moisture from the air and causing fungus underneath those granular laying in the grass. It seems in warm season turf, especially on the golf courses, that it is not as prevalent as homeowners because they(gold course superintendents) generally use liquid nitrogen fertilize. I may be wrong but I'm watching a couple of courses on the coast and would like to know what others think. I don't know if they apply fungicides monthly as I but it's worth knowing. Maybe the guru--in Hawaii will have something to add. Greendoctor is amazing in his knowledge of warm season turf.

jsw2008
05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I let the guy know that it won't be an easy fix and I don't think I'm going to get involved in treating this mess. I think I'll just mow and collect my checks. The rest of the yard is really healthy, just this area of about 500 sq ft is affected. I will be interested to see if it improves after he stops all these high nitrogen apps and whatever else Lesco will sell him. He thinks if its expensive it will make his lawn better. I'm going to take a sample of the grass to the Clemson extension agent in the next few days to see if he can offer any suggestions as well. I'll let you know what I find out.

jsw2008
05-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Anybody?? I know somebody out there knows what this is.

RAlmaroad
05-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Yes it has all the earmarks of brown patch. Although without actually seeing it or testing one can only be about 90% positive. Roy

jsw2008
05-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks. I wasn't discounting your earlier replies, I was just looking for other comments.
Where are you on the coast? I'm coming down to North Myrtle the second week of June on vacation with the family.

IRRITECH
05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
It's really too early for a case of Brown Patch that bad. If this guy has been running alot of fert on centipede it is more likely Centipede decline.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/publications/Centipdecline.html

jsw2008
05-15-2009, 10:25 PM
So what would you do to remedy this? Like I said before, I've finally talked him out of doing his own fert since I know he was over applying it.

IRRITECH
05-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Till it up, and resod. Then follow the standard practices for centipede. Remind this guy that centipede is not supposed to be dark green like bermuda or St Aug. It's a light green grass and needs to be mowed low, again unlike St Aug.

kirk1701
05-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Boy, and I thought I had brown patch and was going crazy.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=274324

RAlmaroad
05-16-2009, 11:49 AM
There's another worse disease: Necrotic Ring Spot Fungus...It being only mid-May but with lots and lots of rain and very little heat, conditions may not be just right for some fungus. You could do worse than treat the soil with Cleary's to begin. Have you removed the brown grass in the center of the rings to see if any roots are alive? Brown Patch is always in the soil--it just needs coaxing to waken the beast. Do some research on Necrotic Ring Fungus.