PDA

View Full Version : Did you make your own website

SunState Lawn Care inc
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
If so how did you go about it and was it realy that hard to do? I have a girl that builds sites that is supposed to come build me one but she is very hard to get ahold of and is leaving for Switzerland in a couple of weeks, I would like to get a site built and running as soon as possible but know very little about them. Any advise is appreciated.

topsites
05-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes I did but...
I had previous experience...
I built a megasite before, well over 400 hand-coded pages.
I worked on that one for a good 5-6 years solid, I'd say a thousand hours the first year easy, progressively less later.
The last year I hardly would get on to update it, how that worked out :p
Thou that wasn't my first one either, I admit the first 2-3 were serious trial and error...

Several YEARS worth of coding by hand, thou I started with a WYSIWYG thing.
To where I can code flawless Xhtml 1.0 transitional (yes, html comes in various flavors, known as standard languages).
I even leased my own dedicated server at one point, can tell you how to set up Linux administrative garbage LOL

Then...
I spent the first year just taking pictures, I must've had a good 100 or so.
Once I had all that I set out in search of a template.
Then I built on that, also borrowing many things from my megasite, to where...
Interestingly enough, in the end, I could look at either site and tell just from looks that they were made by the same person.
They both have their own, but the same signature, the feel is identical :p

So on the one hand it's easy to get started...
A web site can be thrown up in a matter of hours, so to speak.

But on the other, to make a real one, error-less, fast-loading, getting all the tech specs straight, DNS and reg BS, SE friendly plus all the thrills and frills?
That's another story, in my case just to build the one I have, two years (thou I do admit I took it easy, more a matter of getting all the pieces in place first).
You could, probably, if you worked long and hard at it?
Couple of months, maybe, 3-4, I don't know.
But to do everything yourself, it's not as easy as it looks.

Not to scare you, but I did want to be upfront.

Inspira
05-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Like landscaping, it's something better off left to the pros. I own a web design firm and can help you out, not sure where you're located, but I've done out-of-towners before.

I assume, though, that since you're exploring putting one together yourself, you have a limited or non-existent budget. Completely understandable, especially in times like these, but of course anything professionally done is going to be a significant investment.

SunState Lawn Care inc
05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Like landscaping, it's something better off left to the pros. I own a web design firm and can help you out, not sure where you're located, but I've done out-of-towners before.

I assume, though, that since you're exploring putting one together yourself, you have a limited or non-existent budget. Completely understandable, especially in times like these, but of course anything professionally done is going to be a significant investment.

Not doing it myself, I have someone working on it that designs them....... just wondering what all is involved and who may have done it.

mdvaden
05-16-2009, 12:34 AM

That is not completely correct. So it must be partly wrong.

My site is not flawless, but it's supplying one and a half companies with work, even though it's got a few theoretical bugs in it.

And on top of supplying more than one business, plus miscelleneous referrals to others, it brings $1200 from Google each year to cover web hosting and twice out to a decent restaurant each month.

So you won't convince me that it's best left to pros.

I would agree that website construction is generally easier and more practical by having a professional do it. But many people can learn and practice to do it sufficiently to meet their needs.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd be equally as happy to hire a professional website person as I would to do it myself. Except that an outside professional makes editing much more expensive at times. But with no editing needs, it's pretty affordable.

LawnoftheMonth
05-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I hired a professional, my friends made fun of the one i built myself, lol.

Inspira
05-17-2009, 01:42 PM
If I were starting from scratch, I'd be equally as happy to hire a professional website person as I would to do it myself. Except that an outside professional makes editing much more expensive at times. But with no editing needs, it's pretty affordable.

Agreed. As a designer, I've moved towards putting together complete content management systems, so once I'm done with the design, my clients can update as they please without any of my help.

It's a win-win - no designer wants to be bogged down with minor edits to existing sites, and no client wants to depend on someone else, especially if it's time-sensitive.

Best of luck with your site and business though. Truly didn't mean anything negative by my post, was merely adding my two cents on top of the previous poster.

Kiril
05-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Agreed. As a designer, I've moved towards putting together complete content management systems, so once I'm done with the design, my clients can update as they please without any of my help.

As it should be! :clapping: :clapping: