PDA

View Full Version : tracked wheelbarrow

hardscaper
04-01-2002, 12:27 PM
Has anyone used a tracked wheelbarrow? My crews saw one at a local landscape show and seem to think we need a couple for.I found a dealer here http://www.easternfarmmachinery.com/scripts/catalog.pl?F=H&K=Catalog%3AIndustrial%3AMini%20transporters&V=Brief&R=H%2FCatalog%3AIndustrial&ID=06151049342091124204 but I would like to have some experienced user comments if possible.Thanks

SpringValley
04-01-2002, 06:20 PM
At $8000 US dollars I would buy a fleet of two wheeled barrows before I could justify that kind of coin.

hardscaper
04-02-2002, 08:37 AM
It's not the wheelbarrows I'm having trouble finding,it's the guys to run them.!!! Can't say as I blame them some of the yards we work in are like Mt. Everest. They actually quoted me $3600 so I'm thinking I'll try one out for a day and see how it goes.

dan deutekom
04-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Honda makes a machine just like this. I have used it many times. It does not replace a wheel barrow but it is great for moving heavy rocks, trees or sections of lockstone in hilly or muddy conditions. They go any where. I can't remember the last time I used a tree cart the "tank" is just so much easier. For normal wheel barrow type work it isn't worth it because they are slow, but when you need one nothing else will do. They will climb stairs, curbs, mud or snow. One of my favorite landscape toys.

hardscaper
04-02-2002, 03:13 PM
I spoke with Honda and they are no longer importing their units. I don't think the speed is an issue as the Euro dig unit goes 7mph!!, if I can get my guys to run behind it at that speed our productivity will go through the roof. :)

NNJLandman
04-02-2002, 03:50 PM
They seem like they would be good for laying stone but othere tahn that i really can't see much use for em unless u wanna race them.:D

BRL
04-02-2002, 10:32 PM
If you have a job where you need something like that, many rental places have similar units. I've never used tracked ones, and I had never used them for landscaping so far. I have used wheeled versions for concrete work & stone work & they are great for moving heavy materials in tight quarters. They are also fun to race. They are often called "concrete buggies" if you try to rent them.

landscaper3
04-03-2002, 11:34 PM
Your better of getting a Kawasaki mule or a Toro version they are rated at 2000 lbs capacity.

hardscaper
04-04-2002, 06:07 PM
Have you ever tried driving a kawasaki mule through a 36" gate!! My crews have (we run 3 JD pro gators) and it doesn't work very well. The whole reason I am looking at these euro dig machines is their accessibility they will go through a gateway or even a front door. 60% of our business is in city backyards that have difficult access, usually meaning tight quarters.If my math is right the euro dig machies are rated for 1760 lbs anyway so I'm still not loosing much capacity over a mule.

diginahole
04-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Hardscaper,

Who quoted you the $3600. I'd like one too at that price.

hardscaper
04-10-2002, 09:20 AM
I just called the company in the link, didn't get the guys name though.

dan deutekom
04-10-2002, 06:28 PM
Diginahole If you ever want to try the Honda one out the Seabrooke rental in Lindsay has one. They will even deliver to Port Perry.

yorkpaddy
04-18-2002, 01:19 AM
I know exactly what i'd use one for. The construction company I work for has done two excavatations inside basements in Washington DC. One was through a foot of concrete with two layers of rebar 20 feet long by a foot wide and 2 or 3 feet down for pipe. The other was through 6 inches of concrete and then down 4 feet into drt in a 5`x5` area for an elevator pit.

In both cases we carried the dirt and concrete out in 5 gallon buckets. This thing would be great for that

Is there anyway you can configure a dingo to go through 36 inch doorway?

hardscaper
06-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Just thought I would let those know that are interested on how we are making out with the tracked wheelbarrows. We purchased two units and have been very impressed with them. They have been running 8-12 hrs. per day for about a month and my laborers are very happy with them. We were even able to cut back on part time help with a 64% increase in bookings. One site had a twenty five degree hill for 40 yards and a 36" entry, I am convinced we finished that one at least a week earlier with this machine. We have used them in house basements, on rooftop gardens and on two island jobs that had limited access. If you're considering these units I would highly recommend them.