PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of broadleaf grass?

sd night train
05-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I planted some fall mix grass seed last fall and it came up nice last year...this year it is coming up nice but a lot of broadleaf grass. I dethatched and overseeded with a good fescue, ryegrass, bluegrass mix about a month ago.

Still waiting for it to take off here in the upper midwest where we've only seen a couple of days of 70's and eves in the 30's. Obviously the worst case is R&R the lawn but this isnt an option.

What is my best bet to get rid of all the undesirable broadleaf grass and leave the desirable grass behind?

Thanks

tombo82685
05-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Broadleaf grasses? Do you mean like orchardgrass, nutsedge, quckgrass?

sd night train
05-15-2009, 06:46 PM
I dont know what it is...it is all over in the areas where I planted the fall seed last year. I want to get rid of it but keep the fine leaf grasses.

RAlmaroad
05-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Generally a pre-em in the spring will stop most broadleaf weeds from becoming a problem. However, you have new grass and it is not advisable to use a pre-em as it will fry those tender new grass shoots also. Concentrate on establishing a healthy thick turf. Getting rid of broadleaf weeds isn't much of a problem in fescue or bluegrass. Is this what you planted? if so, just do a little hand pulling until that lawn get established then a good 3-way herbicide will wipe them out quickly. Someone with local knowledge of your area will give you advise on which 3-way or a combo of two works best. Cool season grasses are a blessing to you. These warm seasoned grasses are so sensitive to most herbicides.

sd night train
05-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I planted a fescue, ryegrass, blugrass mix. I also have a ton of clover that I've found is tough to control....I want to wipe it out this year if possible and get a good pre-emergent on it next spring. Whats a good pre-emergent to buy and can it be put on in the very late fall before the snow starts to fall?