PDA

View Full Version : New Lawn Advice

JohnC
04-01-2002, 12:35 PM
I am a new home owner with approx. 2 acres of extremely rocky yard. AS the home is new construction, the builder seeded disturbed areas but did not bring in any additional topsoil. I'm not really sure what I've got here...grass is coming in sporadically and in patches. Again, my land is very rocky...I'm a little worried about running a mower due to damage. The simple answer would be to remove rocks, but how? Also, what are the steps I should take to get the grounds in acceptable condition to facilitate lawn growth?

You advice is greatly appreciated...

creative concepts
04-04-2002, 05:18 PM
JohnC

Is your yard flat and rocky or is it rocky with quite a few hills? This will more or less decide what you can use. I would suggest, if it is mostly flat, renting a york or harley rake to remove the rocks. The down side is that you will have to reseed the property. Another idea would be to rent a rockhound attachment with a skidsteer to remove the rocks. With any option you will have to bring in topsoil and seed. Hope this helps

JohnC
04-04-2002, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the response Chris..
My yard is pretty flat, I knew there would be no easy way out on this one. A friend suggested I give it through the summer to see exactly what I've got before bringing in expensive topsoil. It's probably going to take me a year or two to straighten out.
I appreciate the advice.

John

lawnstudent
04-07-2002, 11:09 PM
If those rocks stick up far enough to interfer with your mower you are going to have a heck of a time keeping that yard mowed. You best remove the rocks. 4" of top soil spread over 2 acres is 480+ cu.yds. At $15.00/cu. yd. you will pay over $7,200.00 just for soil. Have you ever moved a cu. yd. of soil? Do you know how much work this is going to be? Hire a contractor to come in and grade and remove the rock from your existing soil or rent a tractor and do the work yourself. Plant your seed this coming fall - best time to plant seed. If you plant in spring you have to figure how to keep the tender new lawn watered through the hot & dry summer. Maybe you should consider a much smaller lawn and naturalize the remainder of the yard with the rocks in place! Just some ideas. Good luck.

jim