PDA

View Full Version : how to drain fuel?

verant
05-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I have a kawisaki 25 horse, everride warrior. I need to drain the fuel because it is old and causing engine problems. My manual says to remove the sediment bowl. and then put a pan under the fuel valve to receive the drained fuel. Where is this..i have never done this before and my manual isnt showing a diagram. I guess i could just idle the engine until it is empty, but id if thats okay. any help here please. thanks guys!

DT Lawn Care
05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
If you have a in-line fuel shut-off, this will go better without spilling anything, but if you don't, it will spill a little at first.

Step 1: if you have a shut-off, shut it off.

Step 2: if you don't have a shut-off begin here (duh). Loosen the hose clamp on your gasline that goes into the carburetor.

Step 3: pull the gasline off of the carburetor and drain it into your gas cans or whatever you're going to put it into. then turn your shut-off valve back on to drain. problem solved.

Breezmister
05-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Step 2: if you don't have a shut-off begin here (duh). Loosen the hose clamp on your gasline that goes into the carburetor.

If you have a Vise Grips, needle nose style even better, use this to close off the fuel line. Just open the jaws about a 1/4 inch so that you do not crush the fuel line. For smaller fuel lines, I use a roach clip. I mean a hemostat...:rolleyes:

verant
05-16-2009, 12:20 AM
well i drained the fuel and put new fuel in and some fuel additive. ran the engine, same problem. the engine is missing, especially after running it for a few minutes. the engine dies when the blades are engaged also. I believe this is a coil or spark plug issue? The carbs are clean, and the old fuel should be out of there by now as i ran the engne for a bit with new fuel after i drained the old stuff

Greenwrench
05-16-2009, 12:33 AM
How do you know the carb(s) is clean? Unless you have removed the carb(s) and cleaned up any mess from the stale gas you will continue to have problems. No amount of additive will do the job I'm afraid. More than likely, the carb(s) is plugged full of goo.

betmr
05-16-2009, 10:38 AM
How do you know the carb(s) is clean? Unless you have removed the carb(s) and cleaned up any mess from the stale gas you will continue to have problems. No amount of additive will do the job I'm afraid. More than likely, the carb(s) is plugged full of goo.

This is probably your issue, if you had old gas in there, it has gummed up the Carburetor, and the only fix for that is to remove the carb, disassemble it and thoroughly clean it with Carb, Choke and throttle body Cleaner.

verant
05-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Problem Solved. It was the fuel filter along with the old gas causing the problem. The filter was faulty, got a new one put on, and it works like a charm. and yes, the carbs were cleaned before I changed the filter. So by isolating the problem, it was the fuel filter. My stress level has just gone way down, back up and running