PDA

View Full Version : Stihl 400 not running well

Jordanfan20
05-15-2009, 08:19 PM
My stihl 400 has been starting up just fine.... the first time. When I take out the blower it seems to start in about 4 pulls two chokes and two normal, but then once I shut it off it has trouble restarting and could take anywhere from 5-30 pulls to start.

The spark plugs need to be changed but I was wandering if you guys had any advice or ideas on why this is occurring?
Thanks guys

ed2hess
05-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Don't know why but here is the drill on Stihl 400 and 420:
When it is cold......pull it until it fires with choke on. Then immediately turn off the choke and it will start with 4 more pulls. Once it is hot never choke those duds and they will start in 4 pulls. Now this assumes that you have good plug, fuel filter and air filter clean and not plugged outlet.

Jordanfan20
05-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks man, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

ashelton
05-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I am having the same problem with my 420. It starts fine the first couple of times, but after it has been run for a while, it sometimes will take up to 30 pulls. I don't choke it after it has warmed up, and always keep the air filter and plug clean. I also have seen fuel on the air filter sometimes.

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

No Bull
05-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Sounds like you might want to try a new carb kit. If the carb is getting old sometimes they start to have flooding problems. a new carb kit will usually fix that problem. Good Luck !