PDA

View Full Version : 44" walkbehind questions...any advice?

SLS
04-01-2002, 03:14 PM
Hey guys and gals!

Heres my predicament:

It is time to for me to buy a good walkbehind.

I love my Exmark Lazer Z but unfortunately Exmark does not offer what I want....a 44" HYDRO w/ a floating deck. :(

Yeah I can go for the Viking and get the HYDRO but I'm stuck with a FIXED deck (I really want a floating deck) and 36" or 48".....or a Metro HP and forget about HYDRO (no way) and I'm still stuck with a 36" or 48".

Both come with a 48" deck option but I want to be sure that gates are not a problem...thus the 44" decision.

I want another Exmark but I don't want to compromise. I want to be absolutely sure that standard gates are not an issue, I want HYDRO drive, and I want a floating deck.

Toro offers a machine with what I'm looking for:

44" floating deck (SFS type)
Dual HYDRO drive
15 hp (recoil) or 17hp (elect. start) Kawasaki.

I've looked at Hustler and Gravelys websites and see they jump from 36" up to a 48".

Any thoughts or ideas from you guys and gals about other options?

This will be my first WB so any thoughts, ideas, or options from you WB users is appreciated.

Thanks for any input! :)

dlandscaping
04-01-2002, 03:32 PM
do u want the tbar steering? If so tell your dealer, you want the old style deck with the bigger bag. The engine choices are 15kohler elec start or 20kohler elec start. I will prolly get the 15horse on mine for $4700 including bagger.(the old box style bag)

SLS
04-01-2002, 04:03 PM
dlandscaping:

I haven't thought about the T-Steering. Is it a lot easier to control than the traditional pistol grip type? I need to check one out (demo) and weigh the price difference. I did see where Toro offers the T-Bar in 44" HYDRO w/15 hp so this could be an option. I do like the electric start option on the Kohler 15hp as well.

So far the best price I've been quoted for the "pistol grip" 44" SFS w/ Kawi 15 hp (recoil start) is $4346. The 17hp Kawi w Electric Start was $4700. Sounds like the difference in price between T-Bar and pistol grip is not that much.

Thanks for your input! :)

SLS
04-01-2002, 04:31 PM
Well, I hate to give up 8" but I now see that the Exmark Turf Tracer HP comes in a 36" floating Tri-Vantage deck, HYDRO drive, w/ a 15 hp Kawi (recoil). Does anyone have one of these with the ECS control system? If so-how would you compairit with the pistol grip system?

I was quoted $4150 for pistol grip and $4250 for ECS system...only $100 difference.

This machine covers all the bases(hydro & floating deck) except I would be giving up 8" inches and gaining ECS controls.

Decisions, decisions.......

Any other thoughts from your experiences on which way to go?

The dough is burning a hole in my pocket! ;)

dlandscaping
04-01-2002, 04:59 PM
the tbar is much easier on the hands than the pistol, instant forward and reverse. i will admit a zero point turn without damaging the lawn is close to impossible. You can do a real quick point turn though.

davesgs75
04-01-2002, 05:06 PM
SLS

I purchased a Toro 44 last summer with the T bar.
I really like it, I may never have another pistol grip again. A lot easier to operate. and smooth to drive.

SLS
04-02-2002, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the input guys! :)

Anyone else?

How about the ECS controls? Pros and cons?

SLS
04-02-2002, 10:16 AM
Just to clairify:

Most of the lots in my are are 1 to 2 acres and have 44" gates (chainlink) with 48" to 49" openings. The wooden privacy fence gates are a bit wider...Laser 60" lacks 4" or 5" making it through thgse.

So far I've only encountered 1 gate that was a 36" in my area. Thank God.

Hence the 36" VS 44" question. :)