PDA

View Full Version : did i do well or not?

dlandscaping
04-01-2002, 03:40 PM
I went to give an estimate today after school. Old lady, but she owns a very large siding and roofing company. She has me look at it, doesn't say anything and i tell her around $30. Minimal trimming and in front, about 5 min with 21 mower in front and then a 200ft by 80ft section flat in the back no trim. Was this too high? I predict it would be about 10min with the 36 i have. She says, "you have no insurance i was talking to my lawyer" I said yes she was correct and that i couldnt get it yet. then she says she is unhappy with her guy who she has had for about 20+ yrs because h rarely comes for the snow work. She tells me we will do it from now on. Then she says he did the lawn for $28.50. i said to myself wow since this guy is huge, just bought 2 new ford f350's diesels with plows, a lazer Z, ryan renovator, and a brand new gmc 3500 dump with duramax diesel and plow. He has 6 trucks now so i dont see how he could be cutting this lawn for under 30. She said she would think about it and get back to me later in other words i didnt get the job, Did i do something wrong?

stslawncare
04-01-2002, 04:19 PM
who said u didnt get it, maybe she will think that you are worth it? sounds like a good price to me

Russo
04-01-2002, 04:37 PM
Hey D.

You are a bright, young person. I think all of the folks on here can tell that from your posts. At least I can tell that you know how to hussle some work. You price work to make money, not to get the job - so don't sweat it. That having been said...

May I recommend that the very next thing you do when you get out of bed tomorrow is skip school and go GET LIABILITY INSURANCE.

Shop around a little. It can be as cheap as $30-$40 / month for $1,000,000 coverage. It will be the best money you ever spent, epecially, God forbid, something goes wrong and ( if you are as young as your profile says ) you're parent or gaurdian gets sued for everything they have. Not too cool.

Is there some reason you can't get insurance yet? Age?

And don't worry about this guy with all the trucks. He's most likely in debt up to his eyeballs. First things first, get insured. You'll be glad you did and you can feel better about charging a little more.

Good luck, Landscraper

P.S. Don't mean to sound like I'm waving my finger at you. I think we all want to help eachother be successful.

dlandscaping
04-01-2002, 05:04 PM
Yes the age in my profile is right but i will be in about weeks. I didnt get insurance since last year was my first real year in business and i only had the neighbors. She was the first to make it a concern. I also did not know the cost of the insurance and if i could get it at 15. I will get it soon, it would be easier if i do get a few more lawns this season. I am debating on giving this lady a price of $27 since there really is minimal trimming. If she talks to the lady across the street who i do for $15 she would complain that i charge her double that. The $15 was a real bad bid since there is about 10 min of edging there but she has given "gifts" to us every holiday; just got $15 for easter and she pays right away. Gotta make up my mind soon.

stslawncare
04-01-2002, 05:26 PM
i know how u are thinking since im close in age. if i were u since its only a matter of $2 or $3 go for it.

Runner
04-01-2002, 08:47 PM
True, you're not able to get insurance at this point, but don't let that stop you! Check back with her in about a week, and let her know that you would be honored to care for her property, and ask her if you may cut it atleast once at your price, so she can see your pride in your workmanship. Also, you can then tell her that you in a line that you deal with homeowners all the time, on a continuous basis, who may need new roofs and other work homeowners are interested in. This will plant an immediate papport (pronounced rapore) with her, and she will probably like that. Just make sure you have your blades good and sharp, and give her a job she can't refuse!

Rooster
04-01-2002, 08:53 PM
Stick to your bid!

If you lower your price for this one, the you will do it for another and another.

You win some, and you lose some.

Good Luck

Rick

dlandscaping
04-01-2002, 08:54 PM
I went back down to tell her we would do it for $25 since we reevaluated her yard and she goes no i will think i am jipping you,ill pay you $30 a mow. She wants us for full year round service but biweekly mows during late summer (acceptable since there is no irrigation and it wont grow). She also said that the last guys took down her new fence to get their 60inch lazer in with a trac vac and she went crazy on them. She is sticking to a higher price than she is paying now im amazed, but she has seen our work at the other neighbor's homes and she was impressed. Now if i could just find 10 more people!!

MJ
04-01-2002, 10:15 PM
They're out there. You'll find 'em.

Good luck.

ronslawncare
04-01-2002, 11:43 PM
dont ever lower your prices youll start to hate the person your work at and pretty soon.you wont even want to do the job but you stick it out for a whole season because a deal is a deal and if you back out that bad business on youre end.and that 5.00 adds up to a extra 150.00
that you can use if your cutting 30x like i am here.

JimLewis
04-02-2002, 02:04 AM
Well, sounds like it all worked out. Good lesson though about NOT lowering your prices, even in the face of competition. Always sell why your service is more valuable. Give them reasons why you are worth the extra $.

BTW, the reason this guy was able to give her a good deal was probably because he has a big route and already has several clients in that area. I know I am often able to outbid a lot of the competition because we already do a dozen houses in that neighborhood.

SLS
04-02-2002, 02:17 AM
It looks like it worked out after all. Good deal, dlandscaping! :)

Now, all you have to do is:

1) Do a great job.
2) Be dependable...and friendly.
3) And be responsible if anything gets damaged or messed up.

Do this and I know that you'll have those other 10 lawns you want quickly. For real.

Good luck and have a safe and profitable mowing season! :D

Runner
04-02-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by dlandscaping
she has seen our work at the other neighbor's homes and she was impressed. Now if i could just find 10 more people!!

You need 10 more? I'll get you ten more!!! Here's what you do. You tell her that if she gives you any referals, that it's a free cut for her for each one. That's a 30 dollar value just for telling a friend. The best thing is, if your work is that good, and she's seen it, she's doing her friend, relative, or associate a justice. Best of all, that's CHEAP advertisement! Trust me, your CUSTOMERS can sell a whole lot more of you than YOU can.
Look at it this way. You go try to sell yourself, and they are less apt to listen to you. Why SHOULD they? Your a complete STRANGER! You have no or very little credibility with these people. You're just like a typical travelling salesman. On the OTHER hand, if THESE people sell for you, who are THEY selling to? People they already know and who already know them! They HAVE that trust and credibility! Anyway, if you can give every one of your customers that sort of incentive, you will have more and more alls come in. It snowballs. I've just come to this realization with my fert programs, and it is WORKING! Good luck with it, and go for it! You have an upper hand already. You're small, and you're personable. Use this to your advantage, and right now, the sky's the limit for you!

Soupy
04-02-2002, 04:58 AM
I'm not sure But maybe your parents can get the insurance in their name. Also, how do you get to your lawns? Just curious.

Soupy

Russo
04-02-2002, 11:28 AM
Glad it worked out! Now, when you buy-out TGCL in a few years, don't forget us little folks!

dlandscaping
04-02-2002, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys, really helped. I did not want to lower my price and in the end i didnt have to. I will ask her and some of the other clients if they have friends that need service as well. I have picked up close to one whole family for lawn and do the mulch job at their store and parking lot blowing/sweeping. I will add them to my plow list next winter. The season is beginning to take shape here and im in a pretty good spot. I also just got a call from a guy who wants my used walkbehind, so maybe i am having a lucky day, that machine was in the paper for 6 months! Well im off to pass out more fliers thanks for the compliments and advice again. Good luck in mowing to all.