PDA

View Full Version : zoysia - need help please

lawncarebyjohn
05-16-2009, 01:15 PM
i know - zoysia!! i live in NJ. my front yard is zoysia, its been overseeded with fescue a few times... atleast 40% of the fescue holds each year.. but.... i get thick brown spots, they don't look diseased but seem to be dead zoysia. each year i rent a dethatcher and remove it.. but i still have thick spots of brown.. can anyone recommend ANYTHING to me.. killing the zoysia will be too much of an expense becaues i am concerned about damaging my sprinkler system. any help would be appreciated.. thanks.

Think Green
05-16-2009, 01:58 PM
It will be hard to grow a turf that requires cutting at about 1 to 1 1/2 inches like Zoysia and growing cool season grass that needs to be mowed at 2 or more inches for survival. Keeping the zoysia living while it is competing with the fescue is an arduous delimma. The Zoysia canopy keeps the soil shaded as it is supposed to and the seeds do not germinate efficiently. It seems that the fescue only is germinating in the thin spots of the zoysia.
For the same problems you are having is the reason we don't overseed our warm southern turfgrasses. You may want to discover what type of grass you would rather have.

lawncarebyjohn
05-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I would rather have fescue.

Think Green
05-16-2009, 08:27 PM
John,
If that Zoysia has a good foothold, and fescue is what you desire, then it may be wise to mow the stuff as low as you can get it and then spray it with round-up. Wait a couple of weeks, spray it again, and then Reseed!
HAve you discussed this topic with a local nursery or landscape contractor?

lawncarebyjohn
05-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I was told i'd have to spray then pull it up with a sod machine or tractor.

lawns Etc
05-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Zoysia is very tough to kill off . I usually cut it out with a sod cutter than spray the entire area with Glyso at a heavy rate. Wait 2 weeks and powerseed or sod