PDA

View Full Version : Seeding Help

andubailey
05-16-2009, 01:31 PM
This spring I killed the weeds in my back yard and seeded with cheap K31. The seed has taken pretty well, but I was considering reseeding with another type of grass. Is it a good idea to mix species or must I stick with fescue. I live in south Atlanta were we have hot dry summers,mild winters, and nothing but clay. Any advice would be helpful.

LawnSolutionsCP
05-16-2009, 06:14 PM
K31 is a good for medians, fields, large areas....it has a wide blade and pretty rough. It is very tough and easy to take care of. This is what is used on the interstate medians.

If you are wanting to mix in a Turf Type Tall Fescue blend that looks nicer, softer, narrower blade, I would kill off the K31 otherwise it won't look nearly as nice as it could.

If your not going to kill it off, just use K31.

tombo82685
05-16-2009, 06:59 PM
I would mix different grasses, for disease reasons specifically. For instance if your entife lawn is ttf you are very susceptible to brown patch or leaf spot that could just take over your yard. If you have a mixture of different species the leaf spot would affect ttf and ryegrass but would leave the bluegrass alone. Some grasses are more prone to a certain disease while others arent. If you have a monoculture of one stand of species the risk of your lawn being wiped out from a disease increses.

bigslick7878
05-16-2009, 07:39 PM
The average homeowner will never be able to differentiate between the TTTF and the K31 together.

Makes absolutely no sense to kill off grass that is weed free to start all over.

I would get some TTTF,power rake the lawn and really thin it out and then overseed with the TTTF.The already established grass will help shade the seed and your germination rate will be much better.