PDA

View Full Version : Sutech Stealth and Troybilt 33" Mowers

joed
04-01-2002, 06:03 PM
I have read all of the past threads on both of these units but would like to get some more up to date information. For those of you who have used the Stealth unit (especially the ones with the Kawasaki engine) and the Troybilt unit, what do you really think about it? I would only be using these units for 10 lots.

CLM1103
04-01-2002, 06:20 PM
I started out with the Troybilt Widecut mower. It makes as nice a cut as any mower on the market but just is not built to take commercial mowing. Spindles and belts wear out real fast compared to a commercial. Also parts are not as eazy to come by. I have even had Troybilt tell me that blades were on backorder and it might be 6 weeks before they got any. I researched the Stealth and basically the same.

I have the Troybilt 33 with mulch kit, side discharge and a bagger for sale with 1 year use for sale for $600.00. This includes electric start. Also my serial numbers on the motor indicate it is a 12 HP instead of 9 HP. Includes spare belt, spindles & etc.

This mower is great if you don't plan on expanding. Also for gated yards.

joed
04-01-2002, 08:28 PM
CLM,

Have you found the Troybilt to cut down on your mowing time versus a 21"?

Dennis Watson
04-01-2002, 08:34 PM
I have a widecut Troybilt that I bought before they came out with the 3-in-one deck. Mine just mulches. Does a great job on grass that isn't too wet or too tall. (No discharge). I can't compare to any other walk behinds. This mower is used on small lots or in fenced in yards with a narrow gate. Mine is an 8 hp Briggs and hasn't given any trouble. The worse thing that I can say about this mower is that it wears out your hand holding down the blade engagement handle while at the same time holding down the handle that engages the drive wheels. I walk along and swap hands so that my hand doesn't cramp up so bad. Haven't had any problems getting belts. Dealer here in town stocks a good supply of the most used items. Based on my experience with this mower, I would probably buy another if I didn't need something larger. DW

CLM1103
04-01-2002, 09:24 PM
Joed...The 33" cut of the Troybilt is much faster than a 21" cut. It has 3 forward gears plus reverse. The newer Troybilt has an engagement lever for the blades so you don't have to hold the lever down all the time. I was very pleased with everything about this mower other than over a period of time it won't hold up to the kind of mowing I do. The cut is as nice as any mower I have seen.

Mowingman
04-01-2002, 10:25 PM
Troybilt went bankrupt a while back and the mower and tiller lines were bought out by MTD. Maybe the parts supply will get better, as MTD should have some pretty deep pockets to increase production if they need to.:)

bubble boy
04-01-2002, 10:26 PM
joed, i remember your situation. with your tight schedule the last thing you need is downtime. with the toro 21"downtime is minimal.

how much time will you gain on ten lawns? if you think the deck will save you that much time, get a belt 32 or 36 inch. if the time saving is minimal, avoid the repairs and stick to the toro.

but definatley look at larger decks if you plan on expanding.

and definately take a back up if you decide to run a stealth.

i will admit i, when the machine was running, had no probs with the cut.

dmk395
04-01-2002, 10:45 PM
The Troybilt is like running 2, 21's....good little gate mower for the money. I used mine as a primary mower until I had enough accounts for the 48", still use it for the fences and as a backup.

joed
04-02-2002, 08:00 PM
Fellows,
Thanks for the great feedback. Now could some of you give me some feedback on the Sutech.

Tony Harrell
04-02-2002, 11:08 PM
Cub Cadet makes a couple of wodels that look just like the Troybilt. Seeing how MTD bought them out, I'd say one was making mowers for the other.

Mowingman
04-02-2002, 11:14 PM
You should be able to do a search on "Sutech" and find a wealth of information. I do not believe you will find one good comment about them anywhere on this forum.:(

Double D
04-03-2002, 12:23 AM
MTD has always built that mower, along with the Cub Cadet, White's, and Craftsman.

joed
04-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Fellows,

Thanks for the advice. It seems from the post that the Troybilt is somewhat better than the Sutech. At first glance, the Sutech seems heavier built but I guess you never should judge a book by its cover.

BerksLawn
04-05-2002, 09:46 PM
We have a Cub Cadet version. It's a backup now and we got it when we first went full time. It could still mow daily and did for 2 years and the last 2 years was a backup. It leaves a great cut but if you use a regular walkbehind to it's a b*tch to pull it off the trailer and use it because it doesn't have brakes.

Darryl G
04-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Guys - My Exmark dealer also sells the Sutech. When I asked him 'how much is this piece of crap" he went on for about 5 minutes on how it wasn't one. He classified it as a high end homeowner model or for light commercial use (i.e. gated yards). The decks are 10 gauge and look pretty solid. I never did find out how much it was.

acbaer
04-25-2002, 10:44 PM
I recently purchased a Sutech Stealth 33" mower. I'm a new guy starting out, but I can tell you I have had great success with my sutech. It gets through the gates and makes quick work of my lawns. It's been wonderfull.

Adam

extracash
06-06-2002, 11:09 PM
The Stealth is a great mower if the conditions are excellent. If the grass is wet, you will not be pleased as the mower will leave a stripe down the middle. If the grass is real tall and/or thick, you will have the same problem.

There are two reasons why the Stealth has this problem. The first reason is that the speed at which the blades spin. It is my understanding that the design point for the Stealth is 1450 fpm where mowers like the Exmark are designed for 1850 fpm.

The other problem is with the distance between the blade the the deck. The blades are very close to the deck, and when the grass is wet or thick, it is laid down by the deck and unable to come back up to be cut, because there is so little room.

Parts and maintenance have been a problem. We have required numerous blade pulleys, because they do not fit perfect and the vibration causes wear on the inside of the pulley. This is easily detected, because the noise level is quite high.

If I would have known about this website prior to purchasing my Stealth, I would not own one. Good Luck!

joed
06-10-2002, 08:25 PM
Extra Cash,

Thanks for the information on the Sutech. If you go to their website and download some information about the mower, they claim that their blade tip speed is 18500 fpm. Also, some dealers have told me that the ones equipped with the Kawasaki engine are better built.

acbaer
06-11-2002, 03:00 AM
I have read the same thing about the tip speed. I was under the understanding that it was 1850. My only complaint up to this point is parts availablity. If I could order them from a website and not have to go through my local dealer I would be much happier. I've got the 9HP Kaw which seems to be holding up well.

Extra Cash-
I had the experience with the strip down the middle missing and I wanted to toy with shortening the bladed by 1/4" on each end. This should give it more of a gap between the deck and the blade inturn allowing the grass to come back up. I will put some more thought into it before I start cutting the blade back, any thoughts? I guess I should look at the gap between some of the big boys and see if it would be possiable to match.

Adam

extracash
06-11-2002, 10:12 AM
acbaer & joed,

I have spoken numerous times with the folks at SutechUSA, and they have been very open regarding the challenges of the Stealth. With regards to the speed, they have the same design point of the other players, i.e. Exmark; however, they have been unable to achieve this.

I would be very interested in hearing about your success in shortening the blades. Have you discussed this with Sutech? I would bet that they would be interested in doing this for you in their testing.

In fact, I will call my contact today to discuss. I will update everyone later. Thanks!

KNOWHOWELTD
06-11-2002, 12:02 PM
i looked into a sutech - i wasnt keen on its briggs engine, but i decided and went with a 36 in GD hydrowalk - Ferris, im happy with it, i stay away from gear/belt drive for numerous reason, but ive been having some trouble with getting my ferris to cut consistently, i recently put on a mulch kit that has these fins under the deck, that keep the grass there, then i put on a double blade, so 4 total, on the straight away in a fresh patch of grass it cuts fine, but going downhill or turning, it leaves a strip ocationally, i wasnt content with a side discharge chute, made it so difficult to get a yard looking good, and you couldnt trim with it.

extracash
06-11-2002, 04:32 PM
As I mentioned earlier, Sutech has been very open with regards to some of the challenges experienced by Stealth owners. In my brief discussion today, they indicated that shortening the blades will not produce the results that we are hoping for.

It was suggested that I could ground off the lip underneath the deck. I choose not to go this with confirmation that it will work.

I have asked the Sutech contact to join us on Lawnsite. I anticipate that he will do that.

bubble boy
06-14-2002, 09:12 AM
i hope, if a rep joins, he or she is thick skinned.

i gave that mower more than a season to prove itself...its now sitting 30 feet to my right, in the back of my shop. guys are free to take it in the morning, no one ever does.

it has its applications, but 5 days a week commercial duty is to much for a stealth to handle. anyone who is trying one this year and disagrees, i invite to post again in two or three months. or when it rains. or when the belts break...or the frame cracks...or...

cajuncruiser
06-14-2002, 10:37 AM
I have used the Stealth for 3 years now & have not had any problems at all with it. It is not my first line mower, I use it on fenced yards with small gates. I find this mower will mulch anything, I use it to clean up after trimming hedges. The main reason I bought this mower is when you take your hands off the handles the brakes lock. That at the time was important to me because I was using it on steep property that went down to a river. It would not be my choice for a first line mower but has been a very good addition to my weapons.

65hoss
06-14-2002, 10:47 AM
I would probably look for a used Troybuilt in good shape. The older ones were built like little tanks. Especially if its for just some gated areas.

Phil Egnatz
06-14-2002, 12:43 PM
I Almost bought 1 but my dealer talked me out of it and i bought a scag 32" belt wb it was nice he told me the sutech was a piece of junk he was a sales rep not the owner but i loved the scag hated the pistol grips now i have a 44" toro with t bar steering its great :dizzy:

eftob
06-14-2002, 04:08 PM
i would not get because i know some one has one and said the the belt break. and it is a hunder pound so that mean it not that as strong as real walkbehind. i have a have a 32inch toro with a 15hp kohler engine and i can cut 3 feet tall grass no problem at all. troybuilt mower me frend has said it can not do that at all.