PDA

View Full Version : Scag Cougar Deck Gearbox

ericg
05-16-2009, 02:39 PM
We just replaced another deck gearbox on the one Scag Cougar that we have. The machine has four thousand hours and the deck gearbox seem to last about a season. The boxes are made by Peerless. The pto shaft from the grass blower gearbox drives the deck gearbox that rotates a pulley for the deck belt. The box is mounted in the deck on its side. It does not lay flat like a regular pto box would like on a Walker. Because it lays on its side, the mode of failure is always the top bearing right under the deck belt pulley. There was no leak from the box as has been the case in the other box failures as well. Is this just a poor design? Scag usually has a pretty good product and build them to last. Other than this, the machine has not given us any trouble. Has anyone had any similar experiences with the Cougar? Thanks...........

Eric

ericg
05-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Bump, Bump

ed2hess
05-17-2009, 05:57 PM
No but I am not quite to 4000 hours. I did have to replace the rear gear box. I assumed these were standard gear boxes that might be used on the top end Scag units....