PDA

View Full Version : just getting started!!!!

taz038
04-01-2002, 06:15 PM
okay fellas I am just getting started in the turf game! kind of!?!?!?
Prior to this I was a police officer and got hurt on the job. So that went out the window. I have worked out all the legistics as far as the retirment system is concerned. so last summer I had about 10 accounts. I also had some money and bought a trailer and the basic tools to get started mowers, hand tools, weed wackers,etc. Now i want to go legit. I have questions on Insurance, accounting,what to charge, employees if any, advertiseing, etc.
ALthough my may concern is the insurance aspect.
I need coverage for-
mowing
plowing
painting
tree work
deck building
pressure washing

Will one policy cover all of this?
Or What kind of coverage should I ask my agent for?
And what is to much to pay for insurance?

Runner
04-01-2002, 06:46 PM
Well, first of all, let me be the first to welcome you to Lawnsite. You are going to find a world of info here to help you with all your needs. As far as the insurance decision, you sound as if you make wise decisions, to be considering this, this early in the game. Insurance is CHEAP for what can happen and what it can cost you. First, I don't know much about the paint work, for what coverage would cost on this, but I CAN tell you this. If you leave the ground, the insurance skyrockets as soon as you lift your feet. Also, as a rule of thumb, the higher you go, the more it costs. So, generally, as paint work calls for ladder work, this is probably going to be a bit pricey. As far as the tree work goes, you can just about forget that, as the cost doesn't even make it feasible. You have to trim aLOT of trees and do some major work for this type of insurance to even be practicle. This is why you are basically better off just to leave this type of work to he professionals. (subcontract it) Now, this is not to say that you cannot do a little pruning, or heading back, or maybe even a small takedown as long as you don't have to climb. But if you even MENTION climbing ANYthing to your insurance agent, you'll see your rates climb even faster than you can climb yourself. Anyway, good luck with your venture, and feel free just to explore around a bunch. The search feature is just too cool on this site, as I think you'll find it to be a great asset. If there is anything you'd like to ask, please feel free, and SOMEone will have something for you. Also, incidentally, there are a few other members who are police officers and firefighters on here, so there is sometimes some good conversation in those areas, too. Don't forget to check out the chatroom sometime, you may be able to get some one on one help at times, as well. Take care and again, good luck with it!:blob4:

MWM
04-01-2002, 08:08 PM
taz,

I'll give you some "secrets" if I can get a "get out of jail free" card. I know they're out there and I want one. (I'm laughing now)

stslawncare
04-01-2002, 08:14 PM
wonderful post runner, absolutly great.

Runner
04-01-2002, 08:23 PM
Why, thank you...

parkwest
04-01-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by taz038
okay fellas I am just getting started in the turf game! kind of!?!?!?
Prior to this I was a police officer and got hurt on the job..... so last summer I had about 10 accounts. ... Now i want to go legit.

First, thank you for your service to your community.

You may want to get a manual put out by your state on starting and operating a business. It will give you info on all requirements to meet your states laws. Some of the work you listed in some places require a contractors license, so you might check into it before running any advertisement for your services. You can buy it in a book store or download it for free from the web.

On the lighter side, I'm LOL because on another topic we were debating the letter of the law versus intent of the law with another police officer and here you post you ran an illegal business operation for a year. :-)

taz038
04-02-2002, 07:37 PM
Considering it was mostly friends and family and I did not advertise or employ anyone i dont think it would be considerd a actul busieness so Im off the hook as far as the coppers are concerned:p
Now on to more important matters get out of jail free cards are just a myth!!! Or so I am told;)
Finally I dont belive there is any actul license required in this state for the things I want to do. Although I know you need one for pesticides and fertalizer but I will deal with that later once I get started

Thank you all in advance for your replys wise cracks and jokes
taz038

AztlanLC
04-02-2002, 10:30 PM
There's a Insurace package for landscapers

Liability
Workers comp.
Truck insurance
Trailer Insurance
Equipment Insurance.

the insurance agent It's right in the town of highland,

Wiedenkeller insurance

Ask for Collen (845) 691-6600
Tell her that George send you.

Kelly Landscaping
04-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Taz,
I am currently in law enforcement in upstate (central ) NY.
When I started with the department I thought I was going to make a difference. Unfortunatly our administration forgot where they came from. I too choose the Lawn & Landscape industry.
I am not looking back.:blob3: :Maintain you professional attitude & appearance. Get unifoms for you and your employees ( even if its just T-shirts with your co. name & # )
and remember SERVICE FIRST, LAST , & ALWAYS;)
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MuskTurfKing
04-13-2002, 02:51 AM
Excellent post Runner, very informative. :D

Hank

FatherandSon
04-13-2002, 09:16 AM
Wish you the best of luck. Retired as Chief of Police in 2000. Had run a lawn mowing business while a Patrolman in the 70's into the 80's. Son talked me into getting a lawn mowing business going with him when I retired. Love it..... Get to spend more time with my 28 year old son and get to do what I truly enjoy, CUT GRASS. Sure beats the politics of Police Work....

Would suggest you go slow to start. We are up to 20 accounts in a year, each one being a minimum of 1 1/2 acres. Insurance here in New Jersey kills us and am looking for a lower rate somewhere. We only Mow. Refer all other work to other contractors.

Have 2 Scags, 52" and a 61". 16 foot landscaper trailer and a 1989 Ford Diesel, 350 Pick up with plow. Do plow in the winter.

Sorry to hear about the career ending injury but sure you will enjoy this more. Fresh Air, see what you've accomplished at the end of the day and now political BS..

taz038
04-19-2002, 06:35 PM
Would like to thank everyone for there replies. Seems there are a lot of cops in the bus. glad to see my brothers in blue making a living becaus you wont get rich doing police work!!!!
taz038:D