PDA

View Full Version : Allergies

Doogiegh
04-01-2002, 07:38 PM
Well, spring is here and for myself, so is Allergy season. Man, I hate allergies and I have them pretty bad.

I've gone through a bunch of the medicines, and the best one for me so far is Allegra-D, claritin didn't do anything for me.

I also absolutly hate nasal sprays with a passion. I just can't stand the back-wash taste of that stuff.

I THINK I've figured it out that I'm highly allergic to Maple trees in particular. I found out last Spring that in a certain area of my backyard, I'd go crazy with my nose.. Other areas, where there are Oak trees, I could cut and breathe all day with no problem.. I remember the Maple mainly because they drop those helicopter things that as kids ya rip apart and stick on your nose...

I've found a cure in some regard.. I'll wear one of those white facemasks that covers my nose and mouth, that helps sometimes.. but they get real hot.

Any of you guys have allergies, any tips or tricks?

Gary

TheLawnBoy
04-01-2002, 08:24 PM
Ya, I have them fairly badly. There is nothing worse than a nose that goes like the kitchen faucet. I only seem to get them in the spring and it has only been the last few years so it must be from over exposure from the cuttin'. Its the pollen I think. It was claritan that helped me. I might have to try the mask this year though.
....Achoo! sniff...snifff

Andrew

Pat McMahon
04-01-2002, 08:25 PM
I use Flonase available with a prescription. NO BAD TASTE, only two squirts in each nostril in the AM, every day, and I'm clear ALL DAY. It doesn't help the eyes though, I use alergy drops a few times a day.

Try it, I hated the over the counter nose juice too. This stuff is GREAT!

Pat

mdb landscaping
04-01-2002, 08:26 PM
As a kid i used to be allergic to everything: grass, pollen mold etc. I would get wicked bad headaches. I took allergy shots for about 6 years i would say, and then when i stopped taking the shots i havent had a problem ever since. maybe you should see an allergist about it.

gogetter
04-01-2002, 09:00 PM
When I got into this last year I was pretty concerned about my allergies. Went to doctor before starting, he prescribed Zyrtec. Works great, I didn't have any problems last year.

As for nasal spray. I had my nose cracked several years ago. Ever since I've had a problem with my nasal passages swelling so that I can't breathe through it. I use CVS brand 12 hour nasal spray. I've never noticed a taste at all. It opens me up within a minute. It's great.

jaybird24
04-01-2002, 09:37 PM
Only get them with ragweed season- mid Aug. to early Sept. Some years they were so bad I couldnt see cause my eyes were watering so much. Tried claritin and it worked great. The last 2 years I havent even noticed them- I guess sometimes they just dissapear?

DMS
04-02-2002, 12:09 AM
I have suffered from allergies all of my life and they are particularly bad in the spring and late summer. I am not sure exactly what I am allergic to, but I have found Claritin-D works fairly well. Claritin in going OTC soon and you won't have to get a doctor's prescription for the drug. At night, I use an OTC nasal spray called Afrin, and that stuff works great for temporary relief. I am seriously considering masks for the spring, but we will see what happens. I hope this helps.

DMS

Mykster
04-02-2002, 12:26 AM
My allergies are bad at first, then they start to taper off. I've used alot of perscripton medicines and they don't seem to work well for me. I buy Actified over the counter and the stuff works great. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for the other. I also try to keep a clean, wet rag or washcloth to place over my eyes. Again, it may not work for you but it gives me relief until the pills kick in.

Quail Creek LC
04-02-2002, 03:15 AM
I've had allergies ever since I can remember. 3 years ago I got a shot called KENALOG. This has been unreal!!! I use to litteraly go through a box of kleenex's a day. I now sneeze maybe twice a week during the ragweed season. Everyone should consult thier doctors about this shot. Trust me its unreal. I only wish I knew about it 25 years sooner.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
04-02-2002, 11:32 AM
I have have also had bad allergies all my life, usually I get so bad for a week in the spring and a week in the fall that I am laid up in bed, cause I cant get any air through my nose at all... Scary ... But about a year ago my doctor prescribed Claritan and that has done a magnificant job.. I have tried all the rest and claritan has worked the best... Those nose sprays just give me nose bleeds... I did go to an allergise last year and they tested me.. ughh.. 53 shots I think in the back of all diff things like pollen , sap , dust , etc , etc, the only thing I had a reaction to was the rag weed ?? But they also wanted me to do the allergy shots for 6 months or so , but I chickend out.. Think I will do tht eventually though.....

Dust mask work alittle bit , but there is no way to avoid exposure completly.. I have problems sitting at home inside , dont have to cut grass to get problems........ You would need to live in a bubble to be free of alergies, but them again , you may have a reaction to the plastic of the bubble LOL....

MuskTurfKing
04-02-2002, 05:20 PM
I have really bad allergies in the spring and fall, mainly fall because I'm allergic to mold. So leaf cleanups tear me up without a mask. Grass isn't bad, as long as I take a shower so the pollen doesn't stay on me when I'm done. I

I actually just got over a sinus infection, doc has me on Cipro, Flonase, Clariten-D, benedryl, and Prednisone.

I've had endoscopic sinus surgery twice, once when I was 5 and again at 11, just couldn't clear the infection up. No fun.

Hank

wrtenterprises
04-02-2002, 05:54 PM
I have a very bad reation to Canadian Hemlock's. It took me a couple of seasons to figure it out, but if I have any prolonged contact I break out in a rash that lasts for 2-3 weeks. We install quite a few every year, so I now wear long pants and long shirts no matter how hot it gets!!!!!

bobbygedd
04-03-2002, 02:14 AM
i had such bad allergies at one time. no medication helped. there were times i could do nothing but sit on the couch with an ice pack on my face. i started seeing a doctor, actually in edison, he gave me one shot, and in 3 days, it was like i never had them. now, i go for one shot in march, and another in august, and i dont know what allergies are anymore. u dont have to deal with them, they can really ruin u for the whole spring. if u want his name/#, just ask

KathysLGC
04-03-2002, 09:22 AM
Gee I thaught I was the only one going into this with allergies. I'm allergic to everything. Took allergy shots for about 4 years once a week but now I just dont have the time. I get sinus infections about 6 times a year. I try to cut back on the meds to help my liver out . I tried a corbon filter mask out of a pet catolog and it helps out a little. The white paper mask dont do any thing but keep the dust out and make me breeth hot air. I was thinking of getting those big filter mask's at home depot but I dont know if they help with allergens.

KerryB
04-03-2002, 10:07 AM
Well I use 180mg Allegra, Zyrtec and Flonase lol
nothing helps completely.
So this year I am going to be tested and take ooouch shots for them.
My wife does and she feels so much better.

AielLandscaping
04-03-2002, 10:38 AM
i'm allergic to pretty much everything in the spring.. i guess it must be pollen because it really flares up if it's windy. i gave up on medication a long time ago and just take to runny nose and watery eyes as part of the whole lawn care experiance. i only seem to have allergic reactions for about a month or two anyhow so i just keep two hankys in each front pocket and a couple of shirts i don't wear anymore in the truck for when the hankys get too wet to use... but if i'm out trimming and both hands are on the weedeater i just hope no one notices and let it flow.:p

JimLewis
04-03-2002, 12:42 PM
That KENALOG product sounds pretty cool. I wonder why my Dr. never mentioned it?

Anyway, I have had bad allergies and hay fever since I was too young to remember. Used to have to spend the summers indoors it was so bad.

A few years ago I found out that the combination of Claritin 10mg and Nasonex (spray) just totally eliminated my allergy symtoms. Nasonex doesn't really leave much of a bad taste either but even if it did, I'd rather have a bad taste than sneeze all day. Heck, I'd drink a pint of vinigar each morning if I had to.

I also found I could get a lot of good allergy products (including Claritin, Flonase, Allegra and Zyrtec) for hella cheap and with no prescription at This online pharmacy (http://www.netpharmacy.co.nz/) . I saved over $100 on my seasonal supply of claritin and they arrived at my door in 5 days.

Quail Creek LC
04-03-2002, 03:26 PM
I'm telling you guys that this KENALOG shot is something that everyone should try. I've done it all, weekly shots, clariton, zyrtec, flonase and allegra. Nothing compares to this shot! Check it out, it'll make life alot more enjoyable. Its good for a couple months and can only be taken 2 times a year