PDA

View Full Version : Stone Slinger for mulch?

ProTouch Groundscapes
05-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to use one for mulch duties. I have seen one before laying topsoil for repairs on turf after construction.

Instead of a mulch mule or bark blower you could use this thing to load wheelbarrows or even dump the mulch directly in the beds.

All of our mulch work is currently done out of our dump truck because we do mulch jobs with many beds that take 1-5 yards of mulch rather than large single beds so it is more efficient for use to load our truck rather than get a delivery of say 20 yards.

A used mid 90's stone slinger cant be that expensive either, compared to a 30-40K for a mulch mule.

shovelracer
05-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Like this? This think rocks, we spread 40 yards in a few short hours with 2 guys and not much actual labor. The last time it took 4 guys nearly all day the old way.

shovelracer
05-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Heres another.

ProTouch Groundscapes
05-18-2009, 12:15 AM
thats what im talking about! my father does construction and i remember being on the jobsites after we finished plastering and tarring the foundation, the slingers would come in and lay the 57. I just wasnt sure how far it would throw a lighter material like mulch.

is that your truck? how much are they running? i checked trucktraderonline.com but they only had like 2005 and up for 60K+

shovelracer
05-18-2009, 07:31 PM
No that is not my truck. It is a semi-local company. I'm very glad I found them, and no one else around knows about it. Gives us a real advantage for now. Basically the thing would go 70-80 feet flat. That hill was pretty big and it was able to get to the top from the bottom of the driveway. Maybe 60 feet along the uphill run, 30 or so vertical feet. I cant tell you what they go for, but I had a real good look at the machine and I'm pretty sure that replacing expensive parts is the norm from wear and tear. It almost caused like 5 accidents that day because people driving by had never seen one and werent watching the road.

BrandonV
05-18-2009, 08:11 PM
i would think the machinery itself - not the truck would be in the $110-150k range