PDA

View Full Version : Dips in my lawn

Bladecutter1
05-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Hello everyone, I have live in South Alabama and have a St. Augustine lawn. Back a couple of years ago we had to have our fill lines replaced in the back yard and now the grass looks good but I have some dips that I would like to get rid of. The dips are probably 3 inches lower than the rest of the yard. It makes it hard not to scalp the grass when I cut it even though I cut it at 4 inches. Thanks alot.

turfcobob
05-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Rent a sod cutter from your local rental guy. Cut length wise along the dips with one edge in the very bottom. Usually two cuts will do it but with my fathers lawn it took 3 cuts. Lay the sod back anf fill and pack the dips with dirt. Then put the sod back and roll or pack the sod back down. We also did the reverse to put some drainage in another portion of his lawn. Removed the sod took out some dirt and put the sod back. Quick and easy.

hmartin
05-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Spread a thin layer of a sand and dirt mix on top of the grass in the low spot. You can rake it little to work the mix into your grass. Do this once every couple of weeks through the summer, and you'll never know there was a low spot by Fall. The St. Augustine will grow right through the new soil.

Wal-Mart and Home Depot sale a mix, if you don't have access to a dirt or sand pile.

KACYDS
05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Spread a thin layer of a sand and dirt mix on top of the grass in the low spot. You can rake it little to work the mix into your grass. Do this once every couple of weeks through the summer, and you'll never know there was a low spot by Fall. The St. Augustine will grow right through the new soil.

Wal-Mart and Home Depot sale a mix, if you don't have access to a dirt or sand pile.

This would be the best thing to do. Just make sure the mix is free from weed seeds.

Bladecutter1
05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I will put some sand and dirt on it but I may also have to get a sod cutter because some areas are too high compared to the rest of the yard.