PDA

View Full Version : 36" LEsco Belt Drive Walkehind

4EverGLS
05-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Wondering if anyone has ever come across the output shaft from a peerless 700 series trans shearing off before the coupler. Both sides sheared at the same spot right after each other. I am wondering if this could be operator error or a defect. Also want to know if its hard to replace the parts myself. IF so i might just buy a new trans cause it would be cheaper then paying a dealer to rebuild. Thanks in advance.

4EverGLS
05-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Purchased a new 700 peerless trans for the 36" lesco. Tried to install today but have having problem with the jack shafts not lining up with the output shaft. The jack shaft rubs against the frame. Everything on the trans lines up with the existing holes. The jack shafts don't look bent or anything. Wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions before I go and purchase new shafts and couplers.

MowerMedic77
05-24-2009, 09:57 PM
What is the model # of the mower? Sounds like some how your rear frame is bent. Older units were two piece meaning the upper frame that the handles bolt to and the gas tank mounts were bolted to the lower frame were the engine and trans mounts. If memory serves me was like three bolts on each side. You could loosen the bolts and pickup on the handle assembly and get your jackshafts to line up straight.

Breezmister
05-25-2009, 10:49 AM
The jack shaft rubs against the frame. Everything on the trans lines up with the existing holes. The jack shafts don't look bent or anything. Wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions before I go and purchase new shafts and couplers.

I did a trans swap on Friday, so if your Lesco is older then 96, this may not applie.

On the vertical tank support, there should be a support bearing that the jackshaft passes thou, the one in the picture is not the one that goes there, only one I could find, but you should get the idea.

I just can not picture the jackshaft rubbing against the frame unless this is missing or like MM thinks, the frame is bent or out of linement. On the Lesco I did, the engine frame and tank support are one peice, and the mower deck is bolted to that.

Pictures would help.

4EverGLS
05-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Thank you MowerMedic you were correct. Fixed the problem and the mower runs great. Can't wait now to finally get to cutting with it this season.

4EverGLS
05-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Breezmister thank you that piece is what caused me to notice the problem with the jack shaft. When i went to put those back on the holes did not line up with the ones on the frame. MowerMedic was correct with the frame being out of alignment. As soon as i loosened the bolts the frame dropped. Some of the bolts were loose to begin with. I will have to keep checking this everyday just to keep everything straight. I am wondering if that could have caused the output shaft to break off like it did. Thanks again guys

MowerMedic77
05-25-2009, 06:42 PM
I am wondering if that could have caused the output shaft to break off like it did. Thanks again guys

I would say yes, the trans is mounted solid on that lower frame and the downward force that the handles were putting the output shafts created a high stress point.