PDA

View Full Version : help wanted

grasscutt
04-01-2002, 07:57 PM
I was wondering how you guys hire most of your help. My pop and i worked together for years but his knees just can't handle the work any more. i need a labor who can shovel, push wheel borrows and can push mow and blow. Is the newspaper any good? High school kid for summer help. I really need some help in finding the right person. I'm willing to pay for the help. I'll probabaly start at 7.00-8.00.

Runner
04-01-2002, 08:27 PM
Try a service. I have a friend that uses a payroll service, and they pay all the taxes, SS, workman's comp. It costs him about a third over the wage, which is real close to what it costs you anyway, and it saves you the hassle.

PR0 TURF
04-01-2002, 11:13 PM
I get all of my help from word of mouth...it seems like every week or so theres someone stopping by the shop to see if we need extra help....but its tough to find the good guys who wanna work full time and who you can have faith in. I had to try the paper last fall cause i got in a real jam...i must say...i got LOTS of calls...but they were all people who didnt have licenses and wanted to take the bus and have me pick them up and drop em off at the bus stop...so i personally had no luck with the paper. 3 kids that work with me i got through there sisters who i went to highschool with...they're all working out great.n Just ask around...tell everybody and anybody your looking for some help.

Dennis Watson
04-02-2002, 12:32 AM
I have had great luck with local high schoolers. Always some kid wanting to know if I need any help. Try asking some of your clients if they know of anyone. You alredy have a relationship with them and they will know what type of person you are looking for. they probab.ly won't recommend someone they wouldn't want taking of their property. Hope this helps.
DW

JimLewis
04-02-2002, 01:48 AM
First of all, you shouldn't be posting ads for hire unless you have an Employer ID Number and are set up for payroll one way or another. And you'll want to check your state's laws on worker's comp. too. If you can't afford to do all of this stuff, then you don't definitely aren't ready for an employee.

So assuming you have all of that stuff, the State Employment Department is a great [free] place to advertise. We always get good results and usually good workers from them.

The newspaper generates the most response. But it costs more, obviously.

Don't hire anyone until you've interviewed a good 5-10 people, no matter how desperate you are.

tpl
04-02-2002, 05:19 AM
Hate to say it, but I had about eight or nine yards or dirt that I piled with a bobcat and I didn't feel like doing it myself. I called a buddy of mine and he told me to go down to an apartment complex in "little mexico" and hold up a finger for however many workers I wanted. I held up two, and before I knew it, I had two people walk up. I paid them both fairly at 50 dollars a piece for six hours work. Absolutely by far the best help I ever had. I have no doubt that I could have put them on full time if would have felt like picking them up every day. I ended up putting an ad in the paper because hiring on my friends never seemed to work out. Through experience, I found that screening five to ten prospects allowed for me to hire the right one.