PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR 600 cam gear flew apart. Should I replace it, or throw the blower out?

LawnMower
05-17-2009, 03:52 PM
My Dealer wouldn't even open the blower up. They said with out even looking at it, that it would need a short block. A short block would be as much as a new BR600. So I bought a new BR600.

Mean wile I took the engine apart my self and found that the cam gear exploded apart. If I replace the cam gear, wont every thing be fine? Im not sure how much cam gears cost, but I'm sure it would be less then a new blower.

It would be nice to get the blower back into service, so I can now have 2 BR600s.

Any advice would be appreciated

John

viper00085
05-18-2009, 07:27 AM
camwheel assy 4282-030-1801 or 1802 $11-20.00. they can be replaced if thats all that happened to the engine. Throw a cam and 2 pushrods at it and see what happens. Flip side, if the the blower is within 2 or so years old, stihl has been gracious enough to help out quite a few customers with wty consideration. May want to approach another dealer or go back to yours and ask them to contact stihl and inquire about wty help?

unkownfl
05-18-2009, 11:24 AM
If the cam gear went normally on engines the valves are bent and maybe even a hole in the piston. You should take the spark plug out and screw in a compression tester hooked up to a air compressor and see if air leaks. first you most remove the rockers.

LawnMower
05-25-2009, 06:35 PM
I got brave and took the whole 4 mix motor apart. Everything seems fine out side of the cam . When the cam blue apart, the valves just stayed closed, so nothing else broke it looks like.

The Piston cylinder is tapered so the rings get compressed as you push the piston back in...neat.

RonAyersMotorsports
05-26-2009, 10:39 AM
More than likely replace the cam gear a new set of rings while its apart and it should run fine with proper valve maintenance every 150-200 hours. Great engines! I love 4mix!