PDA

View Full Version : Scag hydro problem

linky
04-01-2002, 07:24 PM
Hey guys/gals,
I have a Scag hyro 48 wb. The problem i am having is that when i back up the right tire barely moves compaired to the left. When the mower is cold the right lever sticks. I took it to the dealer with these complaints and none of them where repaired-not happy. The hyro filter and fluid were changed last year. It seems like it would be too little pressure to the right wheel motor but i dont know. the mower is three years old and in good condition. Thanks for any help.

Richard Martin
04-02-2002, 02:14 AM
I don't know if this will help but there are a whole bunch of threads about Scag hydro problems already here on Lawnsite. Just hit the search buttom above and type "Scag hydro problem" into the box. Scag seems to have more problems with hydros then all of the other makes combined.

BGRANT
04-02-2002, 08:23 AM
I'm not a mechanic but I have had scag walkers that I have fixed.Just from the little you have said 1 thing comes to mind.If it's a hydro it should have a hydro-gear on both sides.Maybe your
right gear is bad.In that case when you brought it to your dealer they should have looked it over.I would be bring it back saying they didn't fix the problem.
Brian. :(

yardman1
04-02-2002, 10:03 AM
linky,

It sounds to me that you have a bad pump or a blown seal, check around the pump and see if you have any leaks. you also said that you changed the oil and filter last year, how many hours have you put on it since then? The scag book says about every 500 hours, but i change mine every 250.

I really do not understand why people have more problems with scag hydro than any other brand, they have the same hydro-gear pumps and ross wheel motors that everyone else uses. but any way that is my .02 cents.:blob2:

nelbuts
04-02-2002, 05:11 PM
Your problem may depend on what year and model scag you have. I can honestly say that I have had as many as twenty scags ZTR's with not a single hydro problem. Saying that I am sure tomorrow that every one will blow a seal. Some of the hydros do have adjustments on them to set the neutral. Sometimes this is a problem. I believe the new scags have a two year warranty on the hydros so check that out if that be the case. And finally it is true that most mowers do run the same hydro pump and they are for the most part dependable.

linky
04-06-2002, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. I cannot find any signs of leaks on the pumps, motors or hoses. How do the shops diagnose this? I guess that they use a pressure guage to make sure that the pump is supplying the wheel motor with enough pressure.