PDA

View Full Version : Timing for Briigs 28A707 9HP

michaelwalker
05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
anyone know how to set the timing for this Rear Engine on my Ariens? I had to replace the fly wheel gear since the plastic went bad..and apprantly it had to be timed and will not start now..

Restrorob
05-18-2009, 02:11 PM
There is supposed to be a keyway cut into the flywheel and crankshaft in which a special soft key slides into. If you didn't get the flywheel retainer bolt/nut tight enough it most likely sheared this key on the first try cranking.
This is the only timing required in your case.

Also,
Do not put ANY kind of lubricant on the crankshaft before installing the flywheel, It goes together dry.

michaelwalker
05-18-2009, 02:22 PM
There is supposed to be a keyway cut into the flywheel and crankshaft in which a special soft key slides into. If you didn't get the flywheel retainer bolt/nut tight enough it most likely sheared this key on the first try cranking.
This is the only timing required in your case.

Also,
Do not put ANY kind of lubricant on the crankshaft before installing the flywheel, It goes together dry.

the only thing that tightens it down is that star thingy that is for the pull start, we tightened that down as good as we could, but the guy that took off the flywheel did use PB Blaster to help get it off, and I bet that did it? so far I loss 2 keys shearing this way..it starts then quits cause of that shear I know..the engine moves freeley ok..

Restrorob
05-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Clean the flywheel and crank mating surfaces with carb & choke spray cleaner to remove all contaminates. There is a special tool for tightening that star thingy (starter clutch), Most small engine repair shops should have one and can torque it to 65 ft.lbs. for you.

michaelwalker
05-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Clean the flywheel and crank mating surfaces with carb & choke spray cleaner to remove all contaminates. There is a special tool for tightening that star thingy (starter clutch), Most small engine repair shops should have one and can torque it to 65 ft.lbs. for you.

I did all that and it still would start then stop, thinking it might have been a bad belt, My Wife and I tipped it over on it's bag bracket and a few driveway rocks fell out by the pulleys, that was werid, then we checked the belts, and then turned her back on her 4's and she started up and ran and ran just like new..so what's up with the rock's who would figure that??