PDA

View Full Version : Shade grasses

WiseGrass
05-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Still not convinced on why fescues are more shade tolerant.
Is it the amount of sunlight (photosynthesis) OR the ongoing pH issues of shaded wet areas? If the pH issues are taken care of, is there any other compelling reason to NOT use perennial rye and Kentucky bluegrass in the shade?

I am growing perennial rye and bluegrass in heavily shaded areas and so far so good. I use SoluCal, SoluCalS, or K-cal and crop Mag58 or ProMag36 to deal with calcim and magnesium issues.

This feels like a dumb questions since it goes against conventional wisdom. just say'n :)

bigslick7878
05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I use straight creeping red fescue...no mix.

Fantastic in the shade.

I have noticed a lot of the "shade mixtures" they sell in the big stores only have about 20-30% of a good shade blend and the rest tall fescue.

Look at the label on the back of the bag and make sure the majority is creeping red fescue,not just a little bit.

tombo82685
05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
If I had to take a guess as to why creeping red, chewings and hard fescue are so good in shade I would have to say its because of the blade size. The blades are smaller width wise. Which would argue that it needs less photosynthesis to support growth since their is less of a blade needed to sustain, but thats just a guess.

midsouth grass master
05-18-2009, 06:31 PM
If you think blade size has anything to do with it then please explain why St. Augustine does so well in the shade. Not too many grasses have a wider leaf blade.

tombo82685
05-19-2009, 06:29 AM
If you think blade size has anything to do with it then please explain why St. Augustine does so well in the shade. Not too many grasses have a wider leaf blade.

It was a total guess honestly, as i stated.