PDA

View Full Version : drain tile - solid or corrugated?

Inspira
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I was kind of surprised when my supplier recommended the black corrugated drain pipe for behind the retaining wall. Wouldn't it be much easier to get the required slope with the solid white pvc pipe?

Most of the walls I've seen in my neighborhood use the white. The only other disadvantages I can think of, besides cost, is maybe more joints to potentially leak - though it's not too hard to join two pieces of PVC properly.

Thoughts?

Bru75
05-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Corrugated is much easier to install, especially if your wall has any curves.
For the slope, I use 21-a gravel tamped behind the wall to get the desired grade, lay in the pipe, and I'm done.
If your grade is off, even pvc pipe will bend and sag under the weight of your drainage stone, causing dips in your drain pipe.

DVS Hardscaper
05-19-2009, 08:10 AM
the wall's drainage chimney is not supposed to be the main drain. It's only intended as a back up system. Your main drainage system should be something like a swale a safe distance behind the wall.Most of our walls have swales, some actually have drain boxes catching the water. And we then use the black perforated flex tubing in the chimney. Again, it's only intended as a back up system, not to be relied upon as your primary drain.

AztlanLC
05-20-2009, 10:23 PM
You are talking perforated right? cause if you are concern joints to leak that doesn't really make much sense, in reality the pipe will not carry the water out, the open space it's created that's what would allow water to flow faster.