PDA

View Full Version : 400 fliers with estimates on them

Jordanfan20
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
So I'm going to put out 400 fliers. Each flier has information about my services and also has a quick estimate of what I'd ideally charge for the lawn. I'll keep you guys updated on how many calls and accounts I pick up if any.

Also I'm curious to know what type of success others have had passing out fliers. Provide how many you put out and how many customers you've aquired.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I did that my first year in biz. It was nice, because if somebody called your phone, they were signing on.

Jordanfan20
05-18-2009, 05:34 PM
How many customers did you pick up?

TaylorLawn
05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Ive never really done that before, but I did the same thing today. I received a call from a homeowner in a newer neighborhood that I was not familiar with...I gave her the estimate and she jumped on it. As I was doing the property I realized the neighborhood had no trees, I mean zero trees....and all of the lawns were basically identical...I thought it would be ideal to have as many in this neighborhood as possible, with no leaves or major clean-ups......so I did the same thing you did, only I wrote down all of the addresses and sent them an letter with an estimate via mail....Ill let you know how that goes.....

ET

Jordanfan20
05-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Thats awesome keep me updated

IntegrityGuy
05-18-2009, 05:44 PM
I saw some of those this year.

BEWARE: I had a guy put one of those flyers on one of my customers mail box that said 30$. But all he saw was the small hilly front yard and assumed that there wasnt much of a back yard. I cut the ladys yard for 50$. The lady being a total idiot dropped me and went with them. I was doing an a+ 100% job and she had no reason to fire me. I know shes going to call me back because her yard doesnt look as good when i cut it and its not always cut every week??? wonder why. Im goign to tell her 60$ if she does call me back. The yard was on a complete hill side and had a small 30x30 ft area you had to push mow. The guys that cut it now use 48'' exmark metros and i bet there busting their balls with the belts drive on her yard.

All i have to say is take a good look and dont assume where the property line is at. Always make it seem much bigger than it is when just standing at the curb.

Jordanfan20
05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks , thats good advice,

TaylorLawn
05-18-2009, 06:10 PM
I completely agree with your statement, but I can see every bit of every lawn....almost one of those cookie cutter neighborhoods....Hence the reason I have never done this before after 18 years in the biz, but this seemed like a good opportunity, anyway, no hills on the coast of SC.........Thanks, ET

Need4racin
05-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Don't pass out fliers with the price on them. You are selling on price only by doing that. Theres always someone who will work cheaper than you. You need to sell the customer on how you are the most professional, knowledgeable, and dependable company for their needs.

Jordanfan20
05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
True, basically I'm trying to get my name out in the neighborhood and put in some roots, I'm also providing information about what I can provide, years experience and equipment.

Need4racin
05-18-2009, 06:36 PM
That's great but when you start out with price, that's the only thing they will remember. They won't remember how jordan truely cares about their landscaping and yard. How knowledgeable he is, or how many years experience he has. They will remember he wrote $50 on the paper with his business name. When the next company comes around and leaves a flier with $40, the home owner is going to call them up and ask when they can come out. Because after all they remembered what price they paid and that's what sold them.

Theres customers out there that want the best company in the area. You have to sell them on how you are the best. Provide brochures, pictures of your work, discuss what you can do for them. You don't have to hand out the brochures, go up and talk to them and sell them on your business. Be proud, professional, and politely confident. After you get done showing them what you can do, leave a business card and tell them to keep you in mind, (whether they are interested or not). Keep your prices high, and sell on how much of a professional company you have. Sell on price, and you will fighting for who can do the job for the cheapest. Cheap does not sell, only way the customer will be satisfied with price is if you paid them to get the job.

Natural Impressions
05-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Don't pass out fliers with the price on them. You are selling on price only by doing that. Theres always someone who will work cheaper than you. You need to sell the customer on how you are the most professional, knowledgeable, and dependable company for their needs.

Around here, most people are looking at the price. Don't really care about your knowledge. When I tell people that went to school for horticulture they really don't have a clue what that means. They just want to know how much it will cost and if I am going to clean the property bu egding and blowing.

The price sells around here. So many guys with a pick up truck and a mower around here.

Need4racin
05-18-2009, 06:45 PM
You are not targeting the right customers then. Find customers that want the best company.

Sounds like you are competing with the low ballers and hacks.

I know I'm coming off rude, but it's the truth. That's the only way you will have a successful company.

JohnnyCuts
05-18-2009, 07:25 PM
It's worked great for me. 2 years of 2.5k fliers all with the price on them based on square footage of their lot. Have gotten a 1% response rate on mowing fliers and 3% response on snow removal fliers. And like whoop said, when they call it's to sign up. Up to 60 weekly accounts in our second year with referrals, Craigslist, website etc.

TaylorLawn
05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Need4racing,

I understand your point , and I do agree, but on the other hand, this is not a mac vs dell industry and I have to also agree with the other points. My customers do not care about all of the SCAGS, EXmarks etc I have running around, that is my preference to have the quality and endurance, but a murray mower in someones station wagon will cut the same yard....So in some respects, targeting with a price will work......Personally, I have gained and lost many customers over the last 18 years, and I have also maintained over 60 of the same "targeted" customers which you are referencing..These are loyal and relationship bound customers and yes, you are correct that these are the most "comfortable" ones to attain. But in the end the majority of people today are "financially" minded and we must compete for accounts in different ways at different times.......Whatever works for each individual area should suffice and it is a matter of choice which way the business owner targets his audience and creates his or her strategy...Word of mouth and referencinghas been my largest advertisement and it never cost me a cent......Anyway, good points on both sides...That is what this forum is for.....Thanks, ET

Bgaz
05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
In a area that we service a pickup truck with 2 guys rolled through and put fliers on all the mailbox flags. They never got out of the truck and priced every yard at $30. Some of these yards are over 22,000 square feet. I emailed them to verify that they do indeed mow 22,000 square feet for $30, but they never responded! I now give their name out for every biweekly or "seasonal" mowing call I get! Those that admit they are just looking for a cheap price also get their name. Be interesting to see how long they last.

oak1787
05-18-2009, 08:39 PM
cant you get fine for putting them on the mail box?

TaylorLawn
05-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I think that depends on the ordinances in your particular area, but I am not sure....I just spend the money and send them with postage...People are sure to open a letter with their address on it. You can do the postcard thing as well, and the postage is a lot cheaper...I did that one time and got 13 accounts out of 400 postcards....not a bad percentage......But I targeted the lawns specifically.....Spent some time riding around and writing down addresses of homes that looked in need of lawn care.....then inputed all of the addresses in the computer and printed address labels and put them on a postcard I designed.....It did work.....ET

mainstreet1984
05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
400? it is nothing... I did around 5000 last year and got 50+ customers. This year I did 500+ and got 4 or 5 new customers. Lets say in here with a good prices you can get 1 customer per 100 flyers. works all the time.

mainstreet1984
05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
cant you get fine for putting them on the mail box? It is ABSOLUTELY illegal and yes if some one will call you will get busted! they rarely call though

Natural Impressions
05-18-2009, 09:27 PM
cant you get fine for putting them on the mail box?

Yes. The mailbox is goverment property. You are not aloud to place a flyer in or on the mailbox. And the reason I know this is because I did this years back and got a phone call from the local post office explaining this to me. If I didnt stopp I would recieve the fine.

Natural Impressions
05-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I think that depends on the ordinances in your particular area, but I am not sure....I just spend the money and send them with postage...People are sure to open a letter with their address on it. You can do the postcard thing as well, and the postage is a lot cheaper...I did that one time and got 13 accounts out of 400 postcards....not a bad percentage......But I targeted the lawns specifically.....Spent some time riding around and writing down addresses of homes that looked in need of lawn care.....then inputed all of the addresses in the computer and printed address labels and put them on a postcard I designed.....It did work.....ET

I do the same thing. I write down all the addresses in the areas I work in or would like to work in. This way I have an idea what I would charge for a certain house in that area. I even quote and "estimated" price on the flyers I send out. If I receive a call for say a $35 est. charge, I explain that is only an estimated charge for there particular area but I will stop by and give a free estimate. I feel if I get the call its my job to sell them on my product, and that is what I am good at.
And for those who feel this is selling the price and not the work you do, fine, let it be that way. I always feel if I get a weekly lawn on a particular street my work that I do will sell to 3 or 4 potential clients on that street.
I have one street that I started out with flyers this way and still send them. From these flyers, referrals, and just talking to neighbors I now have 8 customers and the same street and I love that. 8 lawns, 2 1/2 hours and $240.00 in my pocket everyweek.

HOOLIE
05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I like putting the price on the website and advertising, that's what the customer wants to know, and I don't want to waste time with someone that ultimately, is not willing to pay for service. Quality is not a good selling point...ever hear of an LCO saying "Well, honestly, we do mediocre work" Of course not. Everyone claims to have quality or "be the best". To a random person calling off a flyer, that doesn't carry much weight.

A lot of the time, it's not about price either, it's all about who gets to the potential customer first. That's why I email or quote a price over the phone. No need to play phone tag, then drive out to look at a lawn that I know is $35 a cut before I even get there.

It's all about convenience, that's what almost all your customers are looking for. The ones that care about quality do it themselves.

Jordanfan20
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
I like putting the price on the website and advertising, that's what the customer wants to know, and I don't want to waste time with someone that ultimately, is not willing to pay for service. Quality is not a good selling point...ever hear of an LCO saying "Well, honestly, we do mediocre work" Of course not. Everyone claims to have quality or "be the best". To a random person calling off a flyer, that doesn't carry much weight.

A lot of the time, it's not about price either, it's all about who gets to the potential customer first. That's why I email or quote a price over the phone. No need to play phone tag, then drive out to look at a lawn that I know is $35 a cut before I even get there.

It's all about convenience, that's what almost all your customers are looking for. The ones that care about quality do it themselves.

Wow nice write up, I completely agree with what your saying. As of now there's about 3 or 4 major businesses in my area, its just an assumption that they do good work, they all advertise saying they are the best however ever one knows they are all similar. People are going to base there decision on who gets to them first and if not that they are basing it on price.

handymanlawncare
05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't put the prices on my flyers. Let me know how you do.

handymanlawncare
05-19-2009, 04:23 PM
That is what I notice here. If I quote a yard, I almost always get the job. I have only been turned down one time in 5 years.

TaylorLawn
05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Jordan......Just an update on the previous posting.....Here is how it went....As far as the neighborhood I targeted with the "price" attached to the mailing....Received 5 phone calls from the neighborhood....Landed all 5, so that puts me at 6 for the new development at $40 per cut...$400 a month,....I sent about 40 in that particular development....As far as the others (no price attached), landed 6 accounts out of the remaining 360 mailings......So I have gained 11 accounts out of the second mailing of 400. 13 with the first mailing....So in one month - 800 mailings...24 new accounts...I believe that is above what is considered anticipated...These were specifically targeted mailings which I wrote the addresses down and sent them the information.......I will probably do another in about 3 more weeks...Does not hurt to give it a try..

ET