PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Bluegrass

bigslick7878
05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Now I will admit I am very partial to all the new TTTF blends out there now,but I have been reading up on this new hybrid KGB and it sounds even better that TTTF.....if that is possible.

I remember someone on this site posted some pictures a while back and it was stunningly beautiful,and I have seen a few more shots and this stuff just looks gorgeous.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? I heard the drought tolerance and recovery is much better than regular KGB, one of the reasons I was hesitant to use KGB in the past.Not really worried about the disease or thatch issues if this type has any,the lawns I would be putting it down on are pretty high maintenance and if I see a problem arising the homeowner will usually let me take care of it before it gets out of control.

I am seriously considering giving this grass a try,just found a place in my area that has a few different types in bulk but before I spend a bunch of money I want to hear some opinions.

midsouth grass master
05-19-2009, 10:34 PM
I just seeded 2 areas in my own yard Easter weekend and am currently growing them in. One area was a new seedbed and the other area I interseeded into my existing TTTF. I used Thermal Blue. I went straight up Thermal Blue without a blend in the seed. At this point, the only negative I have experienced is the establishment. This stuff took 14 days just to sprout and about 21 days for the whole lot to germinate. TTTF usually germinates in about 7 days and establishes a lot quicker. Down here where I am at, TTTF usually burns out pretty bad and requires major pampering to present a quality lawn. I have a shaded yard and these grasses are the best option I have right now. I hope this Thermal Blue performs the way they claim it does... if so, I might not have to interseed every fall anymore! Ohh yeah... this stuff is expensive too! I paid about $270 for a 50lb. bag of Thermal Blue. Most I have ever paid for TTTF is about $75/50lb. If i were gonna seed this stuff again I would go with KBG/TTTF blend.

bigslick7878
05-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I just seeded 2 areas in my own yard Easter weekend and am currently growing them in. One area was a new seedbed and the other area I interseeded into my existing TTTF. I used Thermal Blue. I went straight up Thermal Blue without a blend in the seed. At this point, the only negative I have experienced is the establishment. This stuff took 14 days just to sprout and about 21 days for the whole lot to germinate. TTTF usually germinates in about 7 days and establishes a lot quicker. Down here where I am at, TTTF usually burns out pretty bad and requires major pampering to present a quality lawn. I have a shaded yard and these grasses are the best option I have right now. I hope this Thermal Blue performs the way they claim it does... if so, I might not have to interseed every fall anymore! Ohh yeah... this stuff is expensive too! I paid about $270 for a 50lb. bag of Thermal Blue. Most I have ever paid for TTTF is about $75/50lb. If i were gonna seed this stuff again I would go with KBG/TTTF blend.

Yeah the germination on bluegrass takes FOREVER.The good thing is I will be overseeding it on most jobs so it wont matter as much.

And about the price,I searched this forum and found the thread and some of the prices quotes in there almost made me fall off my chair!!

TTTF is going to run you about $100 a 50lb bag ( for top shelf seed),and someone said that they got quoted like $6 per pound for the bluegrass!! Yikes....that is freaking insane.But hey you get what you pay for,and I have read that the quality of this seed is off the charts.(it better be at those prices!)

I dont know if I want to call the distributor up now for the price after reading that!

This was back in like 2006,and it was fairly new at the time so maybe the price has come down a bit since then.

This was the stuff I was looking at,its called "Double Eagle" and is made up of all certified seeds and is a blend of 3 hybrid bluegrasses "Thermal Blue" "Dura Blue" and Thermal Blue Blaze"

Here is a picture of the turf...

http://www.newsomseed.com/Hybrid_Bluegrass.html

And the tag that shows the breakdown...

http://www.newsomseed.com/Grass_Seed_Mixes_files/Double%20Eagle%20Cert%20Tag_1.jpg

Man that stuff is beautiful.

cgaengineer
05-20-2009, 03:01 PM
I seeded with Thermal Blue TTTF mix (15% Thermal Blue) last year and it has done very well. I friend of mine on this forum and also outside this forum planted 100% Thermal Blue last season in the drought and this season its beautiful. His area is full sun, mine is part sun...mostly shade.

Maybe Dave will chime in this evening and post some pictures...actually I will post pictures for him. There are a few thin areas but this seed was put down right on hard clay in a drought with minimal water.