PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS55R wont start

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I bought a Stihl FS55R brand new the other day. The guy at teh shop showed me how to start it, and it started at the shop. Now I cant get it started for the life of me. I even look in the *gasp* manual, and followed that, but cant get it started.

Any insight? I was hoping to have an extra trimmer on a job Im doing tomorrow, so if I can get this thing started it'd be nice.

Greg78
05-18-2009, 08:06 PM
It sounds silly but make sure you have the on/off switch switched the right way.

Does it try to start at all?

I have the same trimmer and it will start on the first pull fist thing in the morning. I just choke it pull, if it is after a weekend or hasn't been used in a few days I'll pump the primer bulb 6-8 times, then it will fire right up.

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Switch in the I position.

Once out of the bajillion times I pulled in the past hour it tried to start. Only once, though.

Greg78
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Make sure the boot is seated all the way down onto the spark plug.
Spark plug in good condition? I know its new but still check.

Yuanding
05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I've had an FS55 for 8 years and it's the best starting machine I've got.
My method is: switch to on, lock throttle to wide open, pump carb bulb five times, set choke, pull briskly on cord until engine fires (it should immediately die again), move choke lever to operating position, pull cord until engine fires (usually needs two pulls) and you're away. It sounds very long-winded but it usually takes me less than ten seconds

mowerknower
05-18-2009, 11:02 PM
You most likely flooded it, these machines start so easy a lot of people think they havent pulled the rope enough and keep pulling on choke.

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
05-19-2009, 07:57 PM
I pulled hte plug (Which, BTW, is a pain with the shield and the boot in the way), and pulled it for a bit. Put the plug in, set "starting throttle", choked it, and it attempted to start on the 2nd pull. Took it off choke, and she started on the first pull. I ran it for a bit, then shut it off. She now starts on the first pull every time now.

We'll see how she runs tomorrow.