PDA

View Full Version : Dodge ram brake pedal going to floor?

MikeKle
05-19-2009, 09:58 AM
I was out working and the brakes were fine when we stopped at this house, then 30 minutes later when we are leaving the brake pedal felt real spongy, and it goes to the floor pretty easily, but it still stops the truck, pumping the brakes dont seem to work that well. The fluid level is fine in the truck? How could everything be fine one minute then it goes bad, what happened in those 30 minutes? I cant find any leaks anywhere either.Ayone have any ideas what this is? thanks

htr4
05-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Is the fluid fine in one side of the reservoir or both? There's two sections in the reservoir (front and back I believe). If you blew a brake line or wheel cylinder, that section of the reservoir will go dry and the other side will still have fluid to stop you. Look at every wheel and see if there's any fluid dripping anywhere. Also look at the inside of the brake drums and see if they look wet. What year is the truck?

Restrorob
05-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Sounds like the master cylinder is by-passing fluid with-in it's self if it's still full and there's no apparent leaks. With the engine off push the pedal as normal holding a slight pressure on it, If the pedal slowly goes to the floor replace the master cylinder.

4.3mudder
05-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Sounds like the master cylinder is going out. MIne is going out in my yota I have to double pump to get a firm pedal before I brake.

MikeKle
05-20-2009, 02:16 AM
This is really weird, When I went to leave this morning, the brakes worked fine and for most of the day they worked just like they should, then towards the end of the day , it started going to the floor again! Yes both resovoirs are at the correct level and no leaks anywhere. I have been needing to put pads on it for awhile but have been putting it off, could this have something to do with it?

Restrorob
05-20-2009, 06:36 AM
could this have something to do with it?

In all likely hood no, I've seen pads worn to metal contact and the master not bleed down....

topsites
05-22-2009, 10:40 PM
The only other possibility is the ABS system is failing, but seeing how those things cost like $900 it might be
cheaper to replace the Master Cylinder, but then we still don't know if that is the problem.

Honestly?

I would bleed the brakes first, thoroughly.
So thorough that all the dirty fluid is out of the system, and DIY so you can check for any type of BS down below.
Probably take 2-3 quarts, maybe 4.

Once that is done, check it again.

bavaria-n
05-23-2009, 08:12 PM
You need to replace the master cylinder.