PDA

View Full Version : First Paver Walkway-PICS

4 seasons lawn&land
05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Okay, lemme have it. I think it looks nice. This is my first walk with pavers.

DVS Hardscaper
05-19-2009, 09:26 PM
whats up with the expansion joints in that thing?

4 seasons lawn&land
05-19-2009, 09:31 PM
thats just how i made the turn.

Dountman
05-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Is this at your house or did someone pay you to do this?

DVS Hardscaper
05-19-2009, 09:50 PM
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

With a random running bond pattern in a walkway what makes a walk beautiful is when random running bond flows freely with the walk.

Not tryin to high jack your thread, Jus' trying to help you improve. See pics below for future reference, and YES...every single paver is mitered to conform to the turns. We do NOT leave spaces and fill them with sand. :) :

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/summerwind/paverwalk1-lg.jpg

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/Walkways/RBS-Walk-lg.jpg

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/patios%203/Paver-Patio-Border-lg.jpg

4 seasons lawn&land
05-19-2009, 09:58 PM
in those pics wouldn't almost every single paver have to be either cut or preformed as a curve?

My problem with doing that or putting all of them straight and putting in a ton of corner pieces with this one was not having enough block. The block was already there just laid in the ground. I know the person and did it for a couple hundred over cost just to see how they were to work with. I pretty much just do flag.

AztlanLC
05-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry but even for a first time looks bad?

4 seasons lawn&land
05-20-2009, 10:51 PM

With a random running bond pattern in a walkway what makes a walk beautiful is when random running bond flows freely with the walk.

Not tryin to high jack your thread, Jus' trying to help you improve. See pics below for future reference, and YES...every single paver is mitered to conform to the turns. We do NOT leave spaces and fill them with sand. :) :

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/summerwind/paverwalk1-lg.jpg

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/patios%203/Paver-Patio-Border-lg.jpg

how do you get them to touch with the ridge interlock thing's on the sides that space them automatically?

GMTA
05-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Your not understanding what DVS is referring to when he says, " We do NOT leave spaces and fill them with sand". He said he cuts everyone to make the curve...not just laying them in with 1/2" gaps to create a no-cut running bond curve and then just filling the gaps with sand. Of course he uses interlocking sand when finished!

Also it does look odd with those cuts, especially on the inside course where you have slivers. If he didn't have enough you go buy MORE!

wurkn with amish
05-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm totally speachless!

4 seasons lawn&land
05-21-2009, 08:14 PM
yeah, i guess. These paver's are 20 years old and I have no idea if I can find the same ones. could probably find something close but he wanted it done cheap and that was the only way to not waste many block's. The gaps are pretty tight, just the cut's look a little strange. He's happy w/ it so it's cool

In the end I had about 4 wasted pavers.

CALandscapes
05-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Just be sure that, on the next job, you don't cut the "expansions joints" like you did on this one. I understand you were doing a favor for your buddy; just keep in mind the proper method if you do another...

esnipe8
05-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Good first attempt. Just like with everything in life, learn from your mistakes and the next one will be better.

NewHorizon's Land
05-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Sometime you just need to walk away.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-23-2009, 10:43 PM

:) take your own advice

Duffster
05-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Okay, lemme have it.

Ask and you shall receive

That is solid advice right there

PatriotLandscape
05-24-2009, 08:24 AM
i just threw up on my keyboard

NewHorizon's Land
05-24-2009, 09:52 AM
:) take your own advice

When did I ever take on a job I couldnt handle?

NewHorizon's Land
05-24-2009, 09:55 AM
That is solid advice right there

Thanks, Duff

tstutz
06-02-2009, 07:33 PM
i know nothing about hardscapes but it think the job you did looked nice. some of these comments are almost rude

4 seasons lawn&land
06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Thank's man. I explained that I pulled up the pavers from that spot in a heaved mess with 2 inch gaps and didn't have enough paver's to mider each piece but some people just won't have it. I pulled up the guys paver edging along the garden to use in the sidewalk, lol. I don't really care all that much about the bashing. I've seen the most awsome job's bashed to death on here (not that mine is awesome) but it's just the cut's. Bottom line is it's a smooth, even walkway that wont go anywhere due to the right prep work and it's not very hard to look passed the cut's. He's happy with it so I'm happy.

wurkn with amish
06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
"i know nothing about hardscapes but it think the job you did looked nice. some of these comments are almost rude
Stihl fs90 straight shaft trimmer
Stihl bs400 blower
7x8 custom trailor
14 years old
very young very inexperienced

YOU PAY FOR THE STRIPES I LAY "

like you said "you know nothing about this work"

4 seasons lawn&land
06-02-2009, 11:11 PM
thank's, Im actually pretty sure someone just said the same exact thing on the previous page.

wurkn with amish
06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I wasn't complimenting... the quote came out wrong. My line is under his tag line.

SunState Lawn Care inc
06-03-2009, 06:53 PM

I have never messed with pavers.... What kind of base do you put down before you lay the pavers? Do you have a packing tool to make them all level? I have a customer that had a driveway done with them it looks great but it was done when I wasn't there to see how they did it.... Can someone explain the procedure to laying these walks and drives to us uneducated folks?

The pics of the walks and drives above look great .

4 seasons lawn&land
06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I wasn't complimenting... the quote came out wrong. My line is under his tag line.

Yes you were, you like it, can't take it back now!

In reality your a little kid. You don't know what your looking at. If people hadn't pointed out what I did wrong then you wouldn't have a clue.

Duffster
06-03-2009, 11:13 PM
In reality your a little kid. You don't know what your looking at. If people hadn't pointed out what I did wrong then you wouldn't have a clue.

Boy you are a real dandy.

Let me post your oridinal post to mind you of what you asked for.

Okay, lemme have it.

You asked for it and when it is given to you all you can do is call names and whine like a 2 year old.

It is obvious from the questions you have asked in previous threads and now the picture you post of crappy work that you have absolutely no flocking idea what the hell you are doing.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Boy you are a real dandy.

Let me post your oridinal post to mind you of what you asked for.

You asked for it and when it is given to you all you can do is call names and whine like a 2 year old.

It is obvious from the questions you have asked in previous threads and now the picture you post of crappy work that you have absolutely no flocking idea what the hell you are doing.

Hey thank's, I am pretty dandy.

wurkn with amish
06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Ok 4 reasons whatever...

cct landscaping
03-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Understandable, about the weird cuts...good job, now you know a bit better for next time. gotta make mistakes to learn..

zedosix
03-23-2012, 12:00 PM
This walkway isn't that bad really, you could of actually of gotten away with the joints there if you used a soldier course to divide it rather than just the cuts. Overall, if its your first, good job.

JimLewis
03-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Well, like usual in these forums, a lot of people don't know how to temper their comments. I think just making a negative, critical comment without offering anything positive or encouraging is what drives most people away from this and other forums.

That being said, 4 seasons, you did say "let me have it.". So you asked for it. You can't get too bent out of shape after you personally invited people to critique you. And when you say something like, "let me have it", you're really inviting a LOT of critique. So you gotta have the right attitude if you're going to come in here asking for critique.

The right attitude would have been to respond with questions about how you could improve or do it better next time, rather than getting defensive and attacking your critics. I think most people here in this forum, no matter how negative they might have been in their critique, would probably be more than glad to share their expertise with you and help you learn more professional ways of doing things. But you gotta come into it with a little less defensive attitude if you want their help.

I thought it looked pretty good for a first job EXCEPT for the control joints. Those ruined it. Pavers should never have control joints in them.

vtscaper
03-24-2012, 10:13 PM
The control joints are a no no. but if for some reason you really ever had to do this or something similar you should always try to keep things consistent. IE control joints cut at even intervals and same angle... You really could of figured out how to do this without those joints...but next time..

TomG
03-25-2012, 12:42 AM
The real question is how did this post get dug up from 2009??? :hammerhead::hammerhead: Being that those photos were posted almost 3 years ago, he has probably improved his technique over the years.

White Gardens
03-25-2012, 01:12 AM
The real question is how did this post get dug up from 2009??? Being that those photos were posted almost 3 years ago, he has probably improved his technique over the years.

I was thinking the same thing.

The only positive I have from the original photo is that I like the long sweeping curve to go from the door to the drive.

Even myself would have probably found the shortest route possible.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-25-2012, 01:28 AM
hey, what the heck? This is an old one. I dont remember being offended much. I threw one back at the young kid who said he was speechless but other than that I didnt have an issue with the comments here. This guy was a cheap SOB. He wanted me to reset those old pavers and I had ripped them up before I realized I didnt have enough, and when I told the guy the cost he about fell over so I cut them up to get more use out of them. Its funny because this guy JUST canned me earlier this week because he timed me on a job and realized that it worked out to $40 an hour. Believe me when I say cheap SOB. When he realized what I make he vowed to slander my business every chance he gets, lol. He said I am a price gouger and a rip off. I told him, that's what hes been paying me for 4 years now and his head blew off.

DVS Hardscaper
03-25-2012, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=JimLewis;4360485

..................I thought it looked pretty good for a first job EXCEPT for the control joints. Those ruined it. Pavers should never have control joints in them.[/QUOTE]

Why should they never have control joints? And acording to who?

What do you do when installing pavers along a mortared pool coping in climates where there is freeze/thaw?

JimLewis
03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't have any idea. Almost nobody has pools in Oregon.

But you know what I meant. You just love to pick fights. In the NORMAL application of pavers, you wouldn't install control joints all over the place like that.

Now if you want to pick some scenario that disproves that statement just to start a fight, fine. Go ahead. But I'm not going to stick around and argue with you about it all day. I know you live for starting arguments and you love to dominate this forum and show us all how much you know better than us. So have fun with that. Argue all you want. I think everyone else got the gist of what I was saying. You wouldn't put control joints all over the place like that in paver pathways. And you wouldn't do it in most paver patios either. And you know it.

:hammerhead: