PDA

View Full Version : help on brown spots

Bill Ahlers
05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Any ideas as to what is causing these spots? They have a dog and it does crap right in that area. Thats what I think it is. It is Kentucky but there are a couple spots of perennial blue too.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/skibumbilly/brownspots.jpg

Thanks in advance

RAlmaroad
05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Without really seeing and from your info--If the dog is female, then It is probably "B-itch Urine Spots". Cow manure in the pasture produces livid green spots, so with that in mind, feces would probably NOT kill the grass. On B-itch Urine--about the only thing one can do is to water heavily a couple of times a day to leach the acid.

cgaengineer
05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Looks like dog spots to me as well...I have 2 dogs and part of my lawn in the shade is fescue and looks very similar. Like RAI said your only cure is to water the crap out of it. You may also try to train your dog to go in another place (harder than it sounds). What I try to do with my dogs is run to the top of the hill in the afternoon when they have had several hours without going and they will usually follow me to a more desirable area to pee. The small pees dont do it or if they do its not bad and usually recovers quickly...its the ones where they have waited all day. Try to explain to your customer so that when they get home they make a mad rush to a location in the rear lawn that is acceptable for the dogs to pee and they wont have these problems (easier said then done).

Bill Ahlers
05-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks all, and thats pretty much what I thought. There was a female dog there for awhile too. That explains it anyway....

So follow up question:

Should I just tell them to water or would it be better th de thatch the spot and re seed?

cgaengineer
05-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks all, and thats pretty much what I thought. There was a female dog there for awhile too. That explains it anyway....

So follow up question:

Should I just tell them to water or would it be better th de thatch the spot and re seed?

Since it can be seeded you could do that but you would have to remove some dirt and replace. I would water for a few weeks and see if it will come back.