PDA

View Full Version : Urgent bid calculation

RyanCanMow
04-02-2002, 02:48 PM
I am bidding on a shopping complex for year round maintenance. The total area is 176,177 square feet of turf area. I figured 176,177/1,000 = 176.177 times 1.75 ( 1.25 times diff. factor of 1.4 on a .5 - 1.5 scale) per 1,000 square feet. I got $310 per cut. Sound right? A good bit of trash to be removed also rough terrain, that's why the high difficulty factor. They also want pre and postemerge applied. What type would work best for bahia/centipede/crap grass-that's what I call it, the grass is everything mixed in together.I need to overseed in ryegrass this fall. However, the turf has no irrigation system. The ground is hard packed also. What would be my best method of overseeding to get a green look in winter and early spring? Do I just broadcast the seed 1 or 2 times? or should I rent an overseeder. But an overseeder would seem to take forever since this place is so big. What type of rye? I was wanting perennial since it will be easier to mow. What is your advice as to lbs. per 1,000 square feet? Thanks for any help!!!

paul
04-02-2002, 03:04 PM
I can't help you with the grasses. There are tractor mounted over seeders that will make things go faster, most are 4' wide to 6' wide. you have 4 acres to do and I'm not sure how big the areas are. One thing these are not for lawn tractors most need 25+ hp at the PTO.

heygrassman
04-02-2002, 03:44 PM
the price you quoted (which i assume is mowing / trim / edge only) does not seem unreasonable at the difficulty you have assigned. I am guesssing that the difficulty factors in trimming... if not the price may move . Might want to sell in an aeration.

Good Luck

RyanCanMow
04-02-2002, 05:06 PM
The price for each cut includes edge, mow, trim, and blow. The only difficulty is the rough ride on the ZTR because the ground is uneven in places and the trash to pick up. Is the price still reasonable?

Does the tractor mounted overseeder just broadcast seed or does it actually place it into the soil? Where can I get one of these, we do have a 35 hp tractor.

Does anyone know about what type of grass to plant or what application rates are for a certain type to ensure complete coverage?

Thanks!!!

paul
04-02-2002, 07:33 PM
Slit seeders put the seed into the soil check http://www.landpride.com

Seed rates for over seeding of rye grass run around 2-5 lbs per 1000 sq ft.
You should seed at half rate covering each area at 90 degree angles.

tlcservices
04-02-2002, 07:59 PM
you have to be kidding . the price you quoted includes what?
im at 325.00 per cut. plus trash and what? really?

rodfather
04-02-2002, 10:10 PM
Price per cut rate seems ok (maybe bump it up a little). Not sure what your trash hauling rates are where you live so I can't help you out there.

I would try to core aerate 2X, Spring & early Fall and overseed at about 4 lb per thousand both times. Search will help you determine prices for that service. Tough with no irrigation system...hope for some steady rain if you do.

just my 2 cents

KerryB
04-03-2002, 10:36 AM
If it has Bahia grass run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That stuff is horrible to try and cut.
Is the turf spread out does it have very many islands, how much trash? Those places can be a pita for trash.
And with no irrigation its going to be tuff getting the rye up. Do they understand this?
Or will they say it was your fault the grass didnt come up?