PDA

View Full Version : next lazer z deck lowering below 2.25" problem

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-20-2009, 05:14 PM
i think i found a issue with the mower! the deck doesnt want to go below 2.5 only if i slam it down and still then i can pull the pin with the deck out of lock position. i think it is the pan rod that runs diagonal from the frame to the deck we will see this weekend i am pulling it all apart and figuring out why it is like this, i also have reason to believe the torsion spring on the front of the deck is overwound or it isnt broke in yet i have cut lower than 2.5 but maybe not since i noticed this i am pissed, i noticed this after the thing was cutting funny i had adjusted the deck 1 week ago and today after i hit some roots it was way off about a 1/2" on the left side so i adjusted it back quick and it cuts great again but the deck not lowering down all the way is making me mad it seems bound up by that pan rod.

i need people with these mower to check to see if the deck lower all the way till the scalping wheels touch the ground, on a level surface of course. and check to see if you can pull your pin while it is let out you shouldnt be able to pull the pin since the is a lever that presses against it when it reaches the desired height you placed the pin in. let me know !:dizzy::confused:

timber132007
05-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I mow at two inches most of the time and have had no problems lowering the deck to low settings. The pin is firmly in place once the deck is lowered and cannot be pulled out. My mower has a 72" deck so I can't speak for the 60" decks.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-20-2009, 09:03 PM
yeah i need to figue out what is up. i need to ask you do you notice if all your deck height adjusters have any play in them, like any one of them have any paly anywhere? mine has one or two that always have some movment side to side or up and down and it seems like it shouldnt, maybe this was screwed up from the factory but ill findout this weekend when i get a chance to take it apart. im going to write to exmark and see what they have to say about anything like this.

timber132007
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I haven't noticed any play in them. If you can pull the pin out with the deck out of the locked position and lowered the torsion spring may be the culprit. I'd give Exmark a call or take it back to the dealer.

I mowed with mine today and it functioned flawlessly. Mostly cutting at two inches and it left a nice cut. I've found with the 34hp Kawi I can cut grass that isn't too high really well going just under full throttle which cuts down on fuel consumption a little.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-20-2009, 09:56 PM
i havent tried to mow like that yet but maybe ill give it a run. these mowers seem to really go through the gas quick, i care more about the time i get to use it than about the price of fuel so i hope it gets better when it is considered broken in. about how much can you mow between fill ups?.

i hope it is the spring! that would make things easy. i looked at it it looks like it should lol. i didnt see an adjustment for the spring itself do you know if it has one? i dont have my owners manual with me to look it up. i do like how fast i can set my deck it takes 5 min. have you set you deck and checked to see if it has stayed where it is supposed to? mine came out of adjustment today and i noticed 3 lines in the cut it still cut nice but i went sdjusted it and it was back to new, i think it being out of adjustment might have to do with what im dealing with. im going to talk to my dealer in the morning and see if he will look at it quickly after i get done working tomarow.

timber132007
05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm estimating fuel consumption to be a little over 2gph. I ran it two hours and forty five minutes one day and it took six gallons to refill. I'm not sure on the spring adjustment and haven't set the deck. I think running it by your dealer would be the thing to do.

I didn't care for the deck height adjustment design when I first saw it at the Expo but now that I've run it I actually prefer it to the old design. Sorry to hear your having problems but I'm sure between your dealer and Exmark they'll get it taken care of. Hopefully it'll end up being something minor.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-20-2009, 10:49 PM
im not saying you should set the deck but you should check it mine was only off by a 1/4" from side to side and pitch wasnt quite right but it made a noticable difference when i set it, it cut great before but it also got alittle better i thought after i set it the first time. yours must lay a huge stripe, i love how deep the stripes are and if you cut low they probly get deeper. you seem like you do alot of bigger jobs having ll the big mowers have you ever considered a rear discharge deck? i was just loooking at the grasshopper and they have a rear discharge option so does hustler and ferris. they never compare the cut so i take it it doesnt cut that good but i sure would like to try one sometime.

puppypaws
05-20-2009, 10:56 PM
I haven't noticed any play in them. If you can pull the pin out with the deck out of the locked position and lowered the torsion spring may be the culprit. I'd give Exmark a call or take it back to the dealer.

I mowed with mine today and it functioned flawlessly. Mostly cutting at two inches and it left a nice cut. I've found with the 34hp Kawi I can cut grass that isn't too high really well going just under full throttle which cuts down on fuel consumption a little.

I've been in debates about this before and always said an air cooled engine and hydraulic system is made to cool and function best at full rpm's. When you drop the rpm's (especially in hot weather), it causes all components to run hotter, therefore it can shorten the life of the engine and hydraulic system. People believe they are dissipating heat from an air cooled engine by letting it run at lower rpm's. This slows all cooling components down therefore making the engine and hydraulics actually run hotter.

I was actually talking with the Scag and Exmark rep (which has been in the business 30 years and is extremely knowledgeable on all mowers), and I mention to him about this assumption. He made the statement that people tend to make this mistake and not realize they are hurting the function of their machine. He stated that doing this for short periods of time would not hurt the machine, but running it continuously below recommended full throttle rpm's would shorten the life of their engine and hydraulic system.

Anyone that does not believe this; needs to call their mower manufacture and talk with an engineer.

timber132007
05-20-2009, 11:08 PM
The rear discharge is a good thought but Exmark doesn't offer it. I started with Exmark and have had good luck with them. I also have a good dealer locally that treats me right so its hard to stray from that.

With regards to running at lower rpms I have run it some at slightly under full throttle. I would say between three quarters and full throttle. I hear you puppypaws on the hydro issue and have heard about the pumps needing to be spun at full throttle. I personally wouldn't run it like that all the time.

The majority of cutting I do is in thicker stuff with the throttle all the way up but I've found that in the thin stuff the 34 Kawi is so powerful you can back off the throttle slightly.

I spoke to an Exmark rep at the Expo last year and he said that to conserve fuel on his personal big block mower he runs it at three quarters throttle all the time! I wouldn't do that though for fear of having issues.

puppypaws
05-21-2009, 12:24 AM
I spoke to an Exmark rep at the Expo last year and he said that to conserve fuel on his personal big block mower he runs it at three quarters throttle all the time! I wouldn't do that though for fear of having issues.

That is smart, it gets very hot down in the Charleston sand. I love your area and come down when I get a chance. My daughter got married at Drayton Hall Plantation, right on the bank of the Ashley River.

timber132007
05-21-2009, 06:56 PM
That is smart, it gets very hot down in the Charleston sand. I love your area and come down when I get a chance. My daughter got married at Drayton Hall Plantation, right on the bank of the Ashley River.

Glad to hear you enjoy it down here! Charleston is really special because its so full of history. I got married several years ago at Magnolia Plantation which is right down the road from Drayton Hall. You are right with regards to the heat. It gets so hot here in the summer time with the humidity that it beats you down working outside.

puppypaws
05-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Glad to hear you enjoy it down here! Charleston is really special because its so full of history. I got married several years ago at Magnolia Plantation which is right down the road from Drayton Hall. You are right with regards to the heat. It gets so hot here in the summer time with the humidity that it beats you down working outside.

I would say as much and probably more history than any part of the country.
The whole area is truly wonderful. I have actually ridden down and watched the Stingrays play a hockey game and come back home in the same night, (2:45 drive).

The Stingrays are playing for the Kelly Cup. Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford have placed a friendly wager on the Kelly Cup Finals.

If the Aces win, Palin will dine on shrimp and grits and the award-winning She-Crab soup from Tristan Restaurant in Downtown Charleston, S.C. while if the Stingrays win, Sanford will receive Alaska King Salmon.

This is very interesting to me!

timber132007
05-21-2009, 07:33 PM
I've never had Alaskan King Salmon but its hard to beat shrimp and grits with she crab soup so I think Palin gets the better end of the deal. We enjoy steaming oysters down here and making what we call lowcountry boil or beaufort stew(shrimp, sausage, corn, and potatoes boiled with crab boil seasoning).

One thing Charleston is known for is hospitality. Everyone that moves here can't believe how friendly people are. The concept of saying hello or greeting a total stranger is out of the ordinary for a lot of people that move here.

Sorry for getting so far off topic.

puppypaws
05-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I've never had Alaskan King Salmon but its hard to beat shrimp and grits with she crab soup so I think Palin gets the better end of the deal. We enjoy steaming oysters down here and making what we call lowcountry boil or beaufort stew(shrimp, sausage, corn, and potatoes boiled with crab boil seasoning).

One thing Charleston is known for is hospitality. Everyone that moves here can't believe how friendly people are. The concept of saying hello or greeting a total stranger is out of the ordinary for a lot of people that move here.

Sorry for getting so far off topic.

We all get off topic, it is sometimes a way of learning about different things.
The conversation you and I are having may help someone understand how wonderful a city Charleston, SC is to visit, and live if anyone gets the chance.

I eat oysters in every way known to man, from raw right on up the line. My wife cooks the best catfish stew I've eaten anywhere and I have been fishing at Santee Cooper over 48 years, you know they can cook it in that area. My wife also cooks the low-country boil. I love to come into the Charleston area and eat Gullah food, I am talking about the real deal in Mt. Pleasant, where you can get Ox tail soup and all the true Gullah cuisine. This is recipes older than America itself, it came with the slaves brought in from Africa. The Gullah people are truly amazing, I'm ready to pack up, and come on down to your part of town.

I could run the new mower while I'm in town, the rep told me today he was working on getting a new demo with the 34 to bring and leave with me a few days.

mowerknower
05-22-2009, 01:33 AM
I would contact Exmark asap, they are very concerned about any issues with the next lazer. They will do everything they can to take care of youi. Of course go through your dealer if possible.