PDA

View Full Version : Tips for backing up your truck

Shane472
05-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey guys, I'm used to driving a pick-up where I can see out the rear window but now I find myself driving the dumps a lot where I work and I'm looking for any tips on backing up. I've had to get into some pretty tight places and I'm not doing too bad so far. Just getting comfortable with using my mirrors. Does anyone have any advice or tips that will make it easier? It would be greatly appreciated!

terrapro
05-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Use your mirrors always. Look at your left mirror, now right, now left, now right again...go slow and if there is EVER any doubt get out and check.

In my little town we just had a little boy that was run over by a garbage truck in a culdesac last year. He was chasing after after a ball and the driver was in a hurry. Drivers life is wrecked, kids parents life is wrecked, all because of being in a hurry.

Gravel Rat
05-21-2009, 03:29 AM
Back up till you hear a crunch or bang stop pull ahead and do it again.

Maybe you can get nominated for Canada's worst driver and get some free driving lessons :drinkup:

Seriously thou backing up with mirrors is just practice and more practice oh did I mention practice :laugh:

After so many years of using my mirrors I rarely look out the back window.

When in doubt get out and look G.O.A.L

I have had to back into places where you have 2-3 inches to spare or places if you get too close to the edge of the road it drops off and you and the truck go for a wild ride.

Watch both sides of the vehical and also keep a eye where your front end is too.

Stillwater
05-21-2009, 03:47 AM
Hey guys, I'm used to driving a pick-up where I can see out the rear window but now I find myself driving the dumps a lot where I work and I'm looking for any tips on backing up. I've had to get into some pretty tight places and I'm not doing too bad so far. Just getting comfortable with using my mirrors. Does anyone have any advice or tips that will make it easier? It would be greatly appreciated!

Oh ya, everybody gonna give you a bunch tips, use mirrors, practice and so on. If your in a dump backing into a blind and tight area you should be using a spotter. If your alone and your backing into a blind area where your mirrors are useless you get out of the truck and look at what is behind you, do a lot of backing alone then get a 3rd. mirror for the back of the truck.

81Bronk36
05-21-2009, 11:35 AM
All I know is I see people get really frustrated when they jackknife and pull way out to past where they were before. If you screw up pull forward enough to get your hitch/tougue straight, thats all you need to do. Also you can aim the truck in the way you want the back end to do at the same time if you are that messed up (turning)

Gravel Rat
05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
If you have a trailer just don't over turn the steering wheel. Shorter the trailer less you turn the wheel. A truck with a mason dump or a cube van pulling a trailer can be tough because you can't see it behind you.

Shane472
05-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I got to practice a fair bit today just moving the trucks around the yard and doing garbage runs. I think I'm just going to be patient with it and keep practicing. I know a couple old timers who can back a truck and trailer in just about anywhere they want it; would love to get that good one day haha

seabee1
05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
as always check the mirror's .i usually keep my hand at the bottom of the wheel ,the shorter the trailer the quicker it turns ,if you want the trailer to go left turn the wheel right ,and vise Visa .and go slow till you are more comfortable .practice practice . :usflag:

lawn king
05-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Round spot mirrors that mount under the standard rectangular, worth their weight in gold!

lyube
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Seriously, who would EVER put a basket ball goal post in the street where a box truck would hit it?

johnnybravo8802
05-24-2009, 11:01 AM
As a person who spent $5000 to get a Class A license in truck driving school , I can give you some good tips. I spent 250 hours between classroom and field work and another 250 in training with a company. The first 250 hours, we would spend 5 hours/day doing nothing but backing trailers. The key is making slow adjustments while looking in the side mirrors. Adjust your mirrors so that you can barely see down the sides and have maximum peripheral vision and keep the trailer straight. The place where people mess up is turning the wheel too much at one time, panicking and over compensating, and then jack knifeing. Another key is to get the truck and trailer completely straight before you start backing or you'll start out on the wrong foot. However, the most important is to make slow adjustments, period, and you'll have success. I hope this helps.

Shane472
05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
As a person who spent $5000 to get a Class A license in truck driving school , I can give you some good tips. I spent 250 hours between classroom and field work and another 250 in training with a company. The first 250 hours, we would spend 5 hours/day doing nothing but backing trailers. The key is making slow adjustments while looking in the side mirrors. Adjust your mirrors so that you can barely see down the sides and have maximum peripheral vision and keep the trailer straight. The place where people mess up is turning the wheel too much at one time, panicking and over compensating, and then jack knifeing. Another key is to get the truck and trailer completely straight before you start backing or you'll start out on the wrong foot. However, the most important is to make slow adjustments, period, and you'll have success. I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, Johnny. I'm going to try adjusting my mirrors like you said first thing Monday. I hadn't thought of that but it'll be really helpful to have a better peripheral view.

flatlander42
05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
that's how my mirrors are in all of my cars....I know what my truck/car looks like and dont need to see it in the mirror! Just so you can see the edge of the vehicle, that's IT!

Slow and Steady, and you will have time to correct.

GravelyNut
05-24-2009, 02:51 PM
You mean you can see your trailers? :D A 6X16 landscape trailer with no ramp up can hide behind my dually. I keep the inner remote mirrors set for seeing things to the side and rear while the extended mirros can just see the trailer at the rear of the trailer fender and back.

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 01:19 AM
take it slow at first

Littleriver1
05-26-2009, 05:22 PM
All that plus roll the windows down and turn off the radio. There may be some one screaming at you to stop. Besides if I'm going to buy some one a new mail box, I want to hear it crunch.

flatlander42
05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
All that plus roll the windows down and turn off the radio. There may be some one screaming at you to stop. Besides if I'm going to buy some one a new mail box, I want to hear it crunch.

That is a good point!
There is way to many people that can't drive w/o the radio cranked, I like it too, but only rollin down the road! :cool2:

93Chevy
05-26-2009, 11:10 PM
When I'm in a parking lot, I like back in on my right side. I pull past the spot, and angle myself about 45 degrees so my bumper is roughly 2 feet from the bumper of the car in the spot beside me. When I back in on my right, I can easily see both sides of the end of the truck. When I back in on my left, I have a hard time judging the end of the truck on my passenger side.

Backing into driveways on a busy road can be difficult, especially if somebody is riding your tail. If somebody is riding your tail when you're trying to back in, just extend your middle finger, lol.

When I'm backing straight up, or mostly straight, I keep my eyes 90% on my driver's mirror and pick a spot where I want my tire.

I have a hard time with a spotter, sometimes, because I know how to get my tires where they need to be. With a spotter, they're trying to get the whole truck in an area. I want to know where I can put my tire, and the truck will follow. Don't get me wrong, spotters can be VERY essential however.

Before I back anywhere, I ALWAYS get a mental picture. How far back can I go? Is there a chance of pets, or children, getting under my vehicle? How much room do I have on either side? Etc...