PDA

View Full Version : Honda compression failure - help needed!!!

integrityman
05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Guys-

Went to crank up my Honda Harmony. Refused to start. Took apart the carb cleaned it put it back together. Replaced the plug. Still no go. Has good spark and clean air filter. I Took it to the shop and was told the mower has no compression. I have a hard time believing this. It had no prior symptoms, oil burning or hard starts. The failure was sudden.

The mower is about 7-8 years old and I have no idea how many hours are on it.

Thoughts????

I hate to part w/ my H\onda Harmony- been a good mower and very reliable.

mowerknower
05-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Could have blown a rod or dropped a valve.

dutch1
05-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Pull the valve cover and check to see that both push rods are in place and that the valves are both opening/closing properly. It's possible that a valve(most likely the exhaust) has stuck in an open position and if that is the case the push rod has likely fallen out of position as well. A leakdown test can be done to determine the source of the leak. It's rather surprising that the shop didn't at least pull the valve cover for a more definitive answer for you. One can do a poor mans leak test by bringing the piston to top dead center, remove the spark plug and apply slight air pressure to the cylinder through the spark plug hole. It is best to remove the recoil start assembly use a socket on the flywheel nut to prevent the air pressure from pushing the piston back into the cylinder. If you hear air escaping from the exhaust the exhaust valve is stuck open or not seating properly. Air escaping from the carburetor air horn indicates a leaking intake valve. Air escaping from the crankcase breather would indicate worn rings although this condition is best verified with a leakdown test tool where air pressure in the cylinder is more controlled.

Dutch

integrityman
05-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks Dutch.

topsites
05-22-2009, 12:31 AM
I might recommend, get a simple compression tester for under 10 dollars.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92697
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92720

dutch1
05-22-2009, 08:08 PM
A simple compression tester will definitely let you know whether or not you have compression. On the other hand, a leakdown tester will help in diagnosing where the source of the leak is without teardown. Several of the engine manufacturers have them available but they are a little pricy in my opinion, particularly for the occasional user.

Dutch