PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions, pics included

101 Lawn Care
05-21-2009, 10:01 AM
I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how to light up this pergola. I have installed a chandelier light in the center, which looks good, but I need some advice on the pillars. I was thinking down lighting them, but I want your opinions on this and what fixtures you would think would be the best fit. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Pro-Scapes
05-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Unique probe OSM white in sphere base mounted between the rafters in the little niche. Drill at an angle up and run wires on top of joists making spices on backside in white jboxes.

Be sure to create a back drop for it by doing some lighting in thoes trees behind it.

I might even mount 2 to 4 fixtures on the backside of the structure if I could hide the wire enough to face up into the trees then get some uplights in the ground closer to the trees. I know alot of guys would put in downlights but in this situation I would want the background lighting in the upper sections of the trees that you wont get with a downlight.

JoeyD
05-21-2009, 11:02 AM
just like Billy said...try to light the inside portions of the columns not the outside.

steveparrott
05-22-2009, 09:18 AM
I think with this kind of structure, it would look strange to light the columns without lighting the horizontal beams. I see two options.

1. MR-16 bullets (20W, 60 degree) outside each column carefully aimed to just graze the column and illuminate the roof towards the center. Ideally, the fixture is placed at least 2 feet outside the column so people walking inside the columns won't have direct glare problems. Since these fixtures would be a tripping hazard, the homeowner should create a small planting bed at each column base (would look better anyway).

2. Get out your ladder and put a tree light 30 to 40 ft. up to downlight the pergola from the back. That would create a nicer mood than option 1.

steveparrott
05-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Here's an example of option 1 in my previous message. Of course, the structure is different but you see how the whole structure is illuminated by four bullets placed a few feet outset from the gazebo at the four corners. (Design by John Garner).

CedarStore
03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I love the way these pergolas (http://www.gazebocreations.com/spl/structurecategory/pergolas/4) and gazebos (http://www.gazebocreations.com/) are lighted.

This stringing light solution here (http://www.gazebocreations.com/AlternateViewsPopup.aspx?ID=5318) seems fairly simple, but effective:

What do you think?

elegance_alex
03-20-2010, 12:54 AM
We've used FX Copertina Luce - You'll have to measure the beam between the top cross beams. They nestle perfectly into that space. They're cylindrical, and top mount. Be sure to use some RTV to seal the hole in the top of the beam where you bring the wire through.

ErikU19
03-24-2010, 03:41 AM
Looks great

Here's an example of option 1 in my previous message. Of course, the structure is different but you see how the whole structure is illuminated by four bullets placed a few feet outset from the gazebo at the four corners. (Design by John Garner).