PDA

View Full Version : pain in my a@#

jaybird24
04-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Anyone have a customer like this? Ive been doing this ladies yard for 2 yrs now. She has me push mow the yard and bag it with her mower(2hrs). She is constantly disregarding any advice I give her. She has me cut at the lowest setting every time and doesnt understand why this is a part of her weed problems. Now that my business is growing I told her I would have an employee with me each week- says she can't afford to have 2 guys there( I charge her $45/hr). No matter how I try to explain that we will do it in 1hr. so the cost is the same she says it wont work. The only reason I keep her on is she always has little odd jobs to do around the yard and spends $600- $800 a month. She pays on time, but is such a pain in the a@#. Dropping my guy off somewhere else could be an option, but I feel like she is trying to dictate how I run my business. I plan on telling her it's 2 of us or nothing but she just agreed to have me do a 30 yd. mulch job- but says she wont pay for the extra guy there. I guess I'll probably do it myself and then dump her before mowing starts. This is the only job where I do on an hourly basis- just so she cant try to get any freebies out of me.

Twotoros
04-02-2002, 05:37 PM
There are two ways to do things: both are your way!!!!!

Runner
04-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Gee whiz! Who runs your "business", her or you! Your not the 12 year old kid down the street mowing Mrs. Robinson's lawn on saturday mornings or on Thursdays after school. (Atleast I don't think) Would she tell a construction contractor, a plumber, or an electrician you can't have a helper? I mean - Give me a break! :rolleyes:

tlcservices
04-02-2002, 07:05 PM
whats the problem here? you get more than any national company doing **** . whats up?

Kevin
04-02-2002, 07:48 PM
My answer is no, I dont have any one like this customer. She spends 800$ amonth on you to do little jobs? Iwould tell her the other guy is doing the work for free, he owes you a favor! Also find out her schedule so you know when she is not home.

jaybird24
04-02-2002, 08:02 PM
The problem is like runner pointed out - she wants to treat me like I am the 12 yr old kid down the street- I'm 29 so that aint happening. Secondly My price is normally $40/hr which is slightly higher than the average here- but my customers are happy to pay it when they see the quality of work. I charge her $45 because the first time I showed up there and went to take my 52 stander on the yard she almost had a coronary- I had quoted her $35 over the phone. She asked how much to push mow so I told her $45/ hr- figured she would get the kid down the street- she did'nt and now here I am. Ive just never had to let a good paying customer go over something so stupid before.

Nelson
04-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Man,

I tell ya....... The one thing I have learned is to stick to your
guns...... No matter how much they try to procrasinate.....

Do not put up with the Bull........

GOOD LUCK.

You were looking when U found her for a customer.

:angry:

Downeast
04-02-2002, 08:32 PM
600 to 800 a month is a good sum of money to let go . Unless she is real a pain in the a$$ in all things concerned , I might want to keep her a round .

LawnLad
04-02-2002, 08:40 PM
Literally when I was 12 I took over a customer that my older brother had that was like this... she wanted the lawn cut at 1.5", but it looked like crap. I refused to do it. She called my mom and my mom tried to convince me to cut the lawn at 1.5" to keep the woman happy. I told my mom no and the customer no. Needless to say I didn't work for the old lady very long. No wonder my mother thinks I'm stubborn.

Anyways - stick to your guns. If you know that something needs to be done a certain way - don't settle for less. Someone who wants me to sheer juniper, forsythia, lilac, viburnum, etc. will not keep me as a contractor on their property. For horticultural reasons I will refuse to do what some people ask me to do. Why? Because it's my reputation as a professional on the line.

Now ask me if I'm willing to do commercial work. Hmmmm. Not going there tonight.

Tim Baden
04-02-2002, 08:51 PM
I had a lady just like her when I was running my business.She came totaly unglued when I started to unload the scag,she came running out of the house.I want you to use a push mower,so I did.Went there when she wasn't home,that didn't work she called me at 9:30 at night saying I didn't do a good job of trimming.
She paid me right on the spot and made some awsome choc.chip cookies.
After 2 months of this I just could
not take it anymore so I got rid of her.

Tony Harrell
04-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Some people are just difficult. She's gotta be her and you gotta be you. If the aggravation isn't worth it, move on.

Grass_Slayer
04-02-2002, 09:36 PM
if somebody hires u to push mow their yard dont sneak in behind their back and do it with somethin else, do it like they ask.

the height thing is bad. i would have to stick to my guns on that one.

Pro-Lawn
04-02-2002, 10:52 PM
Ive got a couple of customers like this. Im battling it out with them all the time. But i do good work, so they keep me on. The idea of waiting till there gone is a big no no. Thats a for sure fire method of loosing a customer, and also loosing a trustworthy rep. I know its tempting, but my advise is do it the way she wants. Up her price to make it worth your pain, otherwise sounds like shes a good one for the guy down the street. I raised my pains in the ##@@# last year, and they have stuck with me. So it paid off for me.

Eric Goodwin
Pro-LawnCare.com

nu83
04-02-2002, 10:58 PM
no he meant he was mowing when she wasn't home and she wanted him to do it when she was home. Thats how I read it.

BRIAN GALLO
04-03-2002, 12:14 AM
I have a person like that too. I gave a price to cut the lawn using a 48" wb with a sulky. After I mow it a few times they complain that they don't want a "big" mower out there, and use a 21" instead. After that it was bag it with the 21"! I finally said that this was not how I bid the lawn, and if you want it that way the price will go way up. Needless to say, they kept me and I now cut it with the 48". Now all I have to deal with is the nosy neighbor who complains that I don't cut it low enough. :angry:

SLS
04-03-2002, 12:46 AM
Being that most of the lawns in my area vary between .5 and 1.5 acres....

When a potential customer says they want me to mow their lawn with a 21" I just point to my Lazer Z and say:

"Can't do it. I did not spend $10 grand for that machine to go back to pushing a little 21" mower all day....See ya later & have a nice day!"

I will not consider repricing it higher to use a 21" either because this request is a sure sign of 'trouble' ahead with that particular customer. Next thing you know they will be calling your house at all hours of the day and demanding that you wipe your azz a certain way...THEIR WAY.

I'm the boss...and I run my business the way I see fit...right or wrong.

I just don't need the headaches. :)

RoyaleRcr
04-03-2002, 12:58 AM
I think many of us have had someone like this. I had one a few years ago that used to water all day except the day I was scheduled. She insisted that I use 21" and bag. I also found that she was putting down scotts every two weeks. Hum???? may have had something to do with the grass to my a_ _. Well this went on for aboout two or three months and I finally reminded her that this was my business not her's. She got her nose out of whack and I got off the property. If I wanted this abuse I would get an RJ (Real Job).

Heavenly Green
04-03-2002, 01:04 AM
Helper or no helper its none of her buisness. You need a set price not hourly. You pay your help not her so I dont understand?
Yards that use to take me 1hr. alone now with two helpers take maybe 20min from the time we drop gate till were gone and my prices have gone up since 2yrs ago when I was alone. Ive never had anyone question how long it will take me or how many guys are on my crews. Advice you make your prices based on time but you never sell a job to a customer based on a hourly charge. Thats your info not theres. Does any of that make since to you?

Steve@ Heavenly Greenscapes LLC:angel:

bobbygedd
04-03-2002, 01:31 AM
6-800 a month? paid by the hour to listen to her dictate? ill take all u got just like her. i started charging hourly for some services to stop people from being too picky, and a pain in the butt. however, if i were getting paid by the hour to listen to someones crap, ill spend all day, matter of fact, i got evening hrs too. heck, i listen to my mother in law(wooden teeth) tell me how to do things, and i dont get paid 4 it.

Tim Baden
04-03-2002, 05:01 PM
ROFLMAF
That was great,gona have to remember that one.

BRIMOW525
04-03-2002, 07:22 PM
She maybe a good customer but u can't base your business around one customer. It should be your decision if you want someone else there.... ESP with 30 yds of mulch. The only reason I can see that she only wants u there is so she feels she getting her money's worth. But for real... 2 hours to mow a yard??? that better be a big yard.. but there again with apush mower it would be. I 'd tell her like some others have said.. that the guy owes u a favor and you have plans later on and want to be should you get the job done on time... but still wear her down about u doing everthing by your self.. good luck

goodbeus
04-03-2002, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLS
[B]Being that most of the lawns in my area vary between .5 and 1.5 acres....

When a potential customer says they want me to mow their lawn with a 21" I just point to my Lazer Z and say:

"Can't do it. I did not spend $10 grand for that machine to go back to pushing a little 21" mower all day....See ya later & have a nice day!"

I will not consider repricing it higher to use a 21" either because this request is a sure sign of 'trouble' ahead with that particular customer. Next thing you know they will be calling your house at all hours of the day and demanding that you wipe your azz a certain way...THEIR WAY.

I'm the boss...and I run my business the way I see fit...right or wrong.

Finally, someone hit the nail on the head....I'm in total agreement...

Garry
04-03-2002, 10:25 PM
My word, have you tried making sweet love to this woman.....................perhaps, that's her problem (Simply sounds like she wants you)

Man, I think I was married to this chick years ago.

Run, my brother.......................................don't look back!