PDA

View Full Version : My Trailer stolen this morning!!!

theyatesies
05-21-2009, 07:32 PM
I am a school teacher and I left for school at 7:10 and my wife left at 7:20 and the neighbors say it was there at 7:45 but not there at 8:10am. It was changed thru the wheels and locked with a bolt cutter proof lock. They cut the chain and away they went. No equipment was on thank god. We live in a good safe neiborhood. If it can happen here then it can happen anywhere.
Any suggestions are securing the new trailer I now have to buy?

Surferbum21
05-21-2009, 07:35 PM
welcome to the club. put it in garage, backyard, or rent enclosed storage.

ZTR_Diesel
05-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow. Sorry that happened, at least as you said there was no equipment on it. I don't have a good reccommendation beyond leaving it out of site, etc.

Strange, but I see trailers in my neighborhood left unattended and unlocked all the time. Seems like an invitation to me, strange they don't lock them down better.

Richard Martin
05-21-2009, 08:29 PM
I lock mine up with the Abus 59/12MKS140 chain lock combo. It can be found here --->>> http://www.lockitt.com/chain2.htm#ChainAbusExtreme

Note: They don't give the hardest chain and lock away. It's almost $300 bucks.

You can read more about the 59 series Abus locks here --->>> http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?ScreenLang=us&sid=910717189021011220520097642731&select=0105b02&artikel=4003318248481m

SC Irrigator
05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
had mine stolen one time w/ dingo.....it sucked......but got it back though....

G. Ramey
05-21-2009, 08:33 PM
If I have to leave mine unattended for a few days I take a wheel off. I know you wouldn't want to do that every day. Have a shop built to put it in, then you wouldn't have to unload it every day.

Wizz
05-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Do you have a privacy fence to the back-yard?...if so make a gate or at least have a removable section of fence so you can park the trailer back there. That sucks...the timing being coincidentally just after you guys left would have me thinking...wouldn't be surprised if it's someone in the area or someone that has been on your property before and knows your schedule. Best of luck.

Richard Martin
05-22-2009, 04:13 AM
If I have to leave mine unattended for a few days I take a wheel off.

That works well until you run into someone that does this all of the time. A few days is more than enough time to round up a trailer wheel.

The best thing you can do is make sure the equipment and trailer are insured against theft. And make sure it's a replacement value policy. There's nothing worse than having your equipment stolen and then have your insurance company tell you the blue book value was 1/3 of what the equipment cost new.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-22-2009, 04:47 AM
They make security devices that shroud the actual receiver of the trailer so it can't be hooked onto a ball...

Richard Martin
05-22-2009, 05:27 AM
They make security devices that shroud the actual receiver of the trailer so it can't be hooked onto a ball...

I saw a guy pulling a trailer that was only attached to the truck by chains.

Try again.

tjwalkingon
05-22-2009, 06:49 AM
I've got a key lock that goes on the hitch that can't be cut off and they can't hitch to the ball. Guess they could use the chains...geez. Any thing is possible in the world of thieves!

AI Inc
05-22-2009, 06:54 AM
dogs and guns.

phlox813
05-22-2009, 07:52 AM
they also sell gps tracking device by dewalt its not that expensive you have it monitered by your local alarm company and when u set it any movement it sends in a signal

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-22-2009, 08:07 AM

Try again.

Haha. That'd be a sight to see...

How about just getting one of those tire boots?

ALC-GregH
05-22-2009, 08:24 AM
they also sell gps tracking device by dewalt its not that expensive you have it monitered by your local alarm company and when u set it any movement it sends in a signal

I really like this idea. If you can install one in a area on the trailer that others wouldn't take notice of, you could drive right to where the trailer is with the cops and get it back.

All Seasons Landscaping
05-22-2009, 09:11 AM

Try again.

At least it would (hopefully) attract the attention of the cops if someone was towing a trailer by the chains and there was a lock on the coupler.

NeroGPS
05-22-2009, 12:26 PM
I really like this idea. If you can install one in a area on the trailer that others wouldn't take notice of, you could drive right to where the trailer is with the cops and get it back.

its a really cool product.... there is a motion sensor built into it and if it starts to move you get a text message to your cell phone. It also has a powerful magnet built in so you can hide it up under the wheel well.

MarcSmith
05-22-2009, 01:03 PM
I hope you are not an english/grammar teacher...:)

A lock and chain will keep honest people honest and prevent the quick snatch/grab.

The $300 abus chain/lock is a joke......Yeah the lock is great and it cant be picked and the key is hard to replicate. But I don't care about the lock...

I have a dewalt 18v angle grinder. With a 4.5" abrasive cut-off disc I can cut a kryptonite-style bike u-lock or the hexagonal/square hardened chains in about 30 seconds. Cables...HAH the disc is a like a hot knife through butter, 5-10 seconds...

I do it every year on campus. We clean up the old abandoned bikes so the incoming students have space for their bikes.

As others have said. get insurance, keep it in the garage, Dogs and guns won't do much especially in this case. dog would have been in the house and no one was home to pull the trigger on the gun kept in the gun safe by your bed...

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Here you go: buy a compressor and then deflate the tires each night. :laugh:

P&C Lawn Care
05-24-2009, 07:28 AM
I had mine stolen on Wednesday with hitch locks on it. Nothing was cut because there were no metal shavings anywhere. They just put a chain around the hitch and went on. This is my second trailer stolen in 11 years, No equipment was on it but was set up nicely with a new tongue toolbox and greentouch trimmer racks. Trailer thefts are on the increase in Oklahoma and I believe because we don't require ALL trailers to be tagged here. I know two other lawn guys that have had theirs taken within the past two weeks. Out of sight in the garage or storage is a good start to not having one stolen. Hitch locks don't work because they just put a chain around it and cut the lock off later. Wheel boot locks slow them down but can be defeated by taking the wheel off, they might even have their own new tire to replace it with (your spare). Chains can be cut easily and quickly. The people that do this know what they are doing. They scope the area out and know what tools they need ahead of time. But they want to be fast and get out of the area with your stuff. You might not be able to stop them but we can surely slow them down and maybe deter them from taking it.

Be careful handing out business cards with your actual physical address. Thieves may ask for one (posing as a potential customer)and then know exactly where to go to steal your stuff, since they see your equipment and how may guys you may have on a crew. Single operators are great targets because you can't always work and watch your stuff too.

Lock everything up regardless when your on site. Make it harder for them to snatch stuff.

There are cables that have alarms when cut. Motion activated alarms. Truck alarms. All that can be used to deter thieves. Never trust any neighborhood as being a good neighborhood. I live in a good neighborhood but we get all sorts of Meth heads and derilects that come into the neighborhood on big junk days scavanging through the curb stuff.

LAWN GUYS it is time we unite to stop this thievery.

Use camera systems, GPS trackers, log equipment serial numbers, mark equipment with company name. Get theft insurance. We have to try and make sure these SOB's are gettting caught and start make them go to jail. Lawn equipment is one of the easiest things to get rid of. No one ever has to have a title of bill of sale to get rid of stuff.

If you buy questionable stuff that might be stolen you are part of this problem. Never buy stuff or trailers that you might believe is stolen. Contact the police and lets start getting our stuff back. Spend some money on alarm and camera systems. We have to start taking some of our profits and putting a percentage to theft measures.

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 12:09 AM
that GPS tracker seems like a good idea. how much is it for one?

Dunn's
05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
At least it would (hopefully) attract the attention of the cops if someone was towing a trailer by the chains and there was a lock on the coupler.

only donuts can do that.

METRO FS
05-25-2009, 11:24 PM
As a prior repossessor (don't hold it against me) I can suggest a few things that may "deter" some forms of theft. As far as trailer locks I can defeat about any padlock currently made if I have access to the shackle - and I don't have to cut it. So the trick is to have a u-bolt or chain link welded to the trailer and then a cover, such as a piece of 3-4" pipe welded over this so that the lock and CABLE or BORON TREATED CHAIN are locked within this "umbrella" and bolt cutters can't reach the shackles. Cable is much harder to silently cut than chain and will clog up most cheap bolt cutters. However, real pro-grade cable cutters will do the job. Using a large cable and a boron treated padlock in conjunction with the pipe umbrella as well as a coupler lock will increase the difficulty level and the thief may just move on. If the cable isn't available use boron treated chain. It is much harder and the imported bolt cutters will generally break or chip before cutting it. Sure there are noisy grinders and cordless saws that will cut this stuff but it takes a very bold or very stupid thief to take the time necessary to use them. When possible, and when you have a designated parking place, you can set a large u-bolt with a piece of chain welded to it in cement in the ground and park the trailer axle over it and chain lock the axle to this. The awkward position makes it hard to get the leverage needed to use bolt cutters. I also had another coupler and u-bolts welded to a piece of square tubing. When I encountered a unit that had a coupler lock I simply placed my unit under it and ran the nuts on the adapter brackets up with a drill-driver and pulled it away. I had two of these - one for straights and one for A-frames. Also on any padlocks or tool box locks file or grind off the number - this key code can be easily referenced for a replacement key. Just make sure you record the number for your own use.

Likewise, I also have a set of keys that will fit just about any make of backhoe, tractor, skid loader, aerial lift, etc., as well as the knowledge to bypass some keypads. This type of equipment only has a few different keycodes since keys are lost all of the time and there are multiple employees or contractors using the same equipment with their own key. I suggest hidden power cut-off switches that will slow down thieves and make them move on to something easier. These key sets and many more types can be easily purchased on eBay. Sorry for the long post - I hope it helps someone.

Richard Martin
05-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Metro, what do you think of that Abus lock I posted above?

cpel2004
05-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Thats for all the valuable info Metro.

METRO FS
05-28-2009, 12:29 AM
It appears that the chain is the weakest link and not knowing the diameter or hardness of the chain makes it a little harder to judge. If it is grade 70 or better it would take a little effort to cut manually but a cordless bolt & rebar cutter would do the job - and this could easily be hidden under a jacket. Likewise there are small CO2 tanks with cutters that would cut it quickly. I've never owned a set but I have seen them and it seems that the jaws had around 3000 psi of cutting power. It you are a true believer try cutting it with bolt cutters and let the rest of us know...just joking!

Upper5Percent
06-13-2009, 06:02 PM
I am a school teacher and I left for school at 7:10 and my wife left at 7:20 and the neighbors say it was there at 7:45 but not there at 8:10am. It was changed thru the wheels and locked with a bolt cutter proof lock. They cut the chain and away they went. No equipment was on thank god. We live in a good safe neiborhood. If it can happen here then it can happen anywhere.
Any suggestions are securing the new trailer I now have to buy?

http://www.tirelock.com/

phlox813
06-13-2009, 10:57 PM
:usflag:should be on tere web site

Wayne903
06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Have a really really big dog that don't like people in the back yard when owner is not home :D. It works well for me, and can thank him for 2 arrest. 2 guys run up a tree, and begging for me to get dog when i got home. Being the nice guy i am.. I got some nice police officers to help them down.

P.S; The guy that lives down the road from me.. Hooks a electric fence box to his trailer. It will right out knock your boots off. I'm not saying do that though.. I know i would forget every morning, and shock myself..

DiyDave
06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Knock on wood, I haven't had anything stolen, where I park my trucks and trailers is my parent's farm, but when I move it to my farm, I will have a spot, with a concrete anchor post, sunk in the ground , and a hinged piece of steel, to latch the axle, and a short shackle hardened lock, mounted in such a way as to deter the ryobi grinder ( I have one, too, nice tool). I also already have deer cameras taking pictures of anybody on the property, already, these are easy to camouflage, and mount on trees or buildings, some of these are available with a time/date stamp, excellent evidence in court. A bad reputation as a quick, accurate rifle shot, also helps, I haven't had to shoot at anybody, going on at least seven years, now, since the last incident!:waving:

blakerugg
06-24-2009, 07:32 PM
that GPS tracker seems like a good idea. how much is it for one?

im pretty sure like $530 and like $20-30 a month..

Branch manager
06-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Lots of good suggestions here. I would state the obvious, and store under several lights. Motion detector lights are okay, but bright light deters most illegal activity. Buy 'dummy' cameras, and mount them from a couple angles, add a real one connected to monitor and recorder if you can. Lights, a good lock,as described above, and insurance should do it for you. We're at war here, people!

baileylawnservice
06-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Insurance!