PDA

View Full Version : Winding a dual line trimmer head for no jamming?

WalkGood
05-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Any tricks to winding a dual line trimmer head so that the line doesn't get all jammed up, preventing the line to auto-feed when bumping the head?

It's a residential Ryobi that I inherited. I do not have a manual.

Toy2
05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I pull equal amout of line, I use my finger as a guide to keep the line apart, wind..............I spray WD-40 before I re-install.................bingo......never have an issue......good luck...

tamadrummer
05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Buy a new Oregon speed feed head and a new Stihl FS80 and put the 2 together and hang the Ryobi on the wall......

WalkGood
05-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, I won't be buying a new trimmer. I just use it on my own yard, not professionally.

Toy2, I figure you mean to spray all the line to soak the WD40 throughout it? Thanks for the help.

dutch1
05-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Make sure you're winding the line in the proper direction as to do so will cause jams as well as ocassionally throwing off the lower part of the head.

Dutch

WalkGood
05-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Yes, I've got the direction correct.

I've had a single line trimmer that the auto bump feed would not work half the time because the line got all jammed up inside.

Another question, should the line be wound in a random pattern (zig zag)? Or should it be wound left-to-right and then back right-to-left? Which works better?

topsites
05-22-2009, 12:33 AM
After it's wound, I spray some oil all up in it.
Probably wd-40 would work, I use old motor oil.
Works for me, I got tired of it.

Toy2
05-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Well, I won't be buying a new trimmer. I just use it on my own yard, not professionally.

Toy2, I figure you mean to spray all the line to soak the WD40 throughout it? Thanks for the help.

Yes sir, spray it well...............somehow the line will not melt to itself.........it has always worked for me............no WD, try Fluid Film.....works just as well.....
:usflag:

SLR
05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Probably get slapped for this, but i always use a grinder very carefully,and chop out that plastic dividing wall,making it a single line.The 26cc engine always revs quicker & higher not having another weed line weighting/bogging it down.